First time considering renting a server: Questions

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by _Vyrus_, Aug 28, 2017.

1. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

Edit function being whacky, see next post.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

1: Besides Nitrado, what other rental servers are people finding positive with Empyrion.

2: Is it possible to make a starting instance for the players (waking up in a base, have to make way through a tunnel through some alien bugs to a chamber with a teleporter that shoots them to their origin faction capital planet with their starter items, etc.

3: To prevent every planet from looking like a strip-mined ugly pile of terraformed swiss-cheese crap, is it possible to prevent certain planets from being terraformed at all, utilizing meteorite chasing for resource gathering instead of digging the planet into an ugly mess. If so this will also improve the major combat zones by getting rid of lame mole-people shenanigans. The other side benefit is that this keeps the planet surfaces active with people having a reason to continue going outside and exploring the surface (more chances for pvp combat on certain planets if we have to hunt resources down instead of strip-mine and leave like locusts or camp autominers all the time).

4: I know we can limit CV's from entering atmospheres of certain planets, great for making a decent pvp area for actual combat, however is it possible to limit CV by Size Class on planets in order to allow dropships but not warships? If not, just being able to keep cv's off is fine.

5: Restricting BP's - Is this option capable of disallowing pre-existing BP's from the server while allowing server made structures to be BP'd by that player, or is it all or nothing? If it's all or nothing disallowing BP's entirely works fine.

6: Is it possible to have a single global trading list instead of each station being independent, or as a workaround to this would I just be better off having only one trading station period and simply have it accessible by teleporters on each capital planet and situated in PVE space in order to make it so everyone on the server uses the same trade station?

7: Is it possible to refresh asteroids because other than single player I have yet to see an asteroid field that's not been strip-mined and a ghost-zone for weeks on end and hear many other players in chat lament about the lack of any reason to explore space except as a warp-freeway to planets that refresh.

8: Is it possible to really infest the planets with a lot of hostile fauna? I mean really make planets SWARM with hostile bugs/aliens so that they're actually something people have to be concerned about instead of just thinking "oh, here comes some free food"?

I have many other questions but these will do for now. I'm trying to learn how to set this up but I've never rented a gaming server before (never been impressed enough by the potential of a game until now). I have a list of custom gameplay designs for the server I would like to run as I haven't been able to find a single server offering the multiplayer experience I'm searching for.

Thank you for your time.

3. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

Oh, I forgot:

9: Is it possible to set up "warp-zones" so that you have to be within a certain area before your warp drive can be activated to go to a certain warp-destination? IE: You're mining an asteroid and someone comes out of nowhere and starts blasting your ship. Instead of tapping W for 2 seconds and then warping to your pre-saved destination sustaining only minor scratches, you have to fly to a certain area of space in that playfield before you can warp to that location you have locked. This means you'll have a frantic chase to try and make it, for example, 2km away before you can warp away from the hostiles instead of just tapping W, giving the mouse a quick spin to nose the right direction and warping out nigh-instantly.

10: Is it possible to limit players themselves to specific structure counts? Is it possible to have it on a playfield specific setting? Such as, on the pve capital planet every player may build 1 base, 3 HV's 2 SV's, no CV's. On another planet, pvp, every player can have 5 bases, 4 hv's, 5 sv's, 1 cv. On another planet, no bases or cv's at all and only sv's and hv's, etc. Stuff like that? Expanding on this, is it possible to both have a structure limit for players on a server wide scale along with specific playfield limits themselves? IE: Players may only have 10 total bases on the server period, they may build 1 on the pve capital planet, 3 on a pvp resource planet, 4 in space playfields, or 5 on the main "arena gold rush" planet etc but the total number of bases on the server itself FOR THAT PLAYER can never exceed 10? Does that make sense?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  4. Jackall

Jackall Commander

9. Not currently
    10. Not currently

_Vyrus_ likes this.
  5. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure why the first questions aren't showing up. They're "flagged" for the moderator to approve. :(

6. Jackall

Jackall Commander

1. Can't help you there, I rent a dedicated rack server.
    2. Yes, you'll need to research fixed pois.
    Here is an example:
    Code:
    POIs:

Fixed:
            - Type: BA_Admin
              Prefab: OblivionSpawnPoint
              Mode: Survival                     
              Name: Spawn Point           
              Pos: [ 0, 0, 0 ]     
              Rot: [ 0, 0, 0 ]           
              InitPower: True 
    3. Not sure
    4. Not currently
    5. Sure, here are the settings in the dedicated.yaml:

[​IMG]
    This is not specific to CV though, it's all items that are used to make blueprints.

6. Potato.
    7. You would have to wipe the orbit to reset the asteroids. Anything in that orbit, such as a player space stations, would wipe also.
    8. Absolutely. You'll need to research CreatureSpawning in the playfield.yaml. I would suggest looking at the Empyrion Playfield Designer AND Empyrion Playfield Generator: http://empyriononline.com/threads/server-tool-mod-list.10916/

And if you have the option, definitely use EAH.

That's some of them answered.

7. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

Sweet, Thank you much for the responses.
    I have downloaded EAH, EPlayDesigner and EmpPlayGen and am trying to figure them all out :)

(love number 6 btw, would lol again)

8. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

As a clarification to number 5:
    If I set the BP to "none", can players still alt+o and save/use structures they physically built themselves on the server at least once in-game beforehand or does it just disallow bp use altogether.

BTW, thanks for the tip on fixed poi's.
    Researching now.

As for number 3 I found that it is possible to make the terrain indestructible to prevent strip-mining (uglifying the planet) and mole-people and that the meteorites can provide more than enough refreshing resources to never need to reset a planet to insure there's always a "fall-back" and get back on your feet capital planet for each faction.

Trying to test on a new save game to get used to these programs. So many variables it's a bit overwhelming lol.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  9. Jackall

Jackall Commander

Yes, you can alt+o anything regardless of the setting.

Do tell your secrets!

_Vyrus_ likes this.
  10. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

Thanks again.

11. RDNt

RDNt Lieutenant

Latency, and RAM. Those are you 2 major concerns.

550mb per user connected is required for ram.