First Warp...

Discussion in 'Role-playing' started by Major_Screwball, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Major_Screwball

Major_Screwball Ensign

The preparations were made, everything was thought out. I went through my final checks and did the last minute packing of supplies. This was my first warp jump in my first CV (Capital Vehicle) which I named Explorer One. It wasn’t your typical CV that could carry 50 or more people. This was a ‘Starter’ CV, with most of the space used for engines, oxygen, storage and warp core. My XO Johnny was ready although not as excited as I was. I asked my XO if we should bring the water filter and/or the O2 processor and he said we may not need it and I agreed. We did a final systems check and all systems were go. I powered up the ship and easily lifted off the landing pad. I angled the ship towards the heavens and pushed the throttle to maximum. Once we escaped Akua’s gravity I open the navigation system and selected our first planet to visit. Rumors were this planet was rich with minerals we couldn’t find on Akua. Our target was Skillion. We knew nothing about this planet except for the rumors. I plotted a course and prepared to visit the unknown (to us). I engaged the warp drive and we disappeared from the orbit of Akua and arrived a few seconds later at Skillion.

Skillion is a mostly barren world, with a toxic atmosphere and no oxygen. Once on our way to the surface we noticed various enemy bases. We stayed away from those bases and found a good spot to touchdown. I semi-graciously landed our big ship and we made our way to set foot on another world in the system we crashed landed in.

We proceeded to clear the area to make a spot to put our first base. We patiently set up our first base on this new world and added small fighter crafts to the base. Things were going well. Most of the fauna was peaceful and we only were attacked by a strange spider-like 4-legged creature which Johnny happily put down with extreme pleasure. Our new base was loaded with almost everything we needed to survive. In my eagerness to get the base up and running I loaded ALL our fuel (power cells) into the base reactor. I also loaded all the oxygen in the base as well, leaving nothing for the ship. After we got the base online, the other race that made this world their home sent drones to attack the base. Our 3 cannons easily took down their drones providing us with precious materials to use in other projects.

Now it was time to explore. As I mentioned earlier I loaded ALL the fuel into the base leaving no fuel for the small fighters, so I had to find promethium to create more energy cells. I took Explorer One to look for promethium and found an ore deposit about 300m from our base. I also saw an enemy drone that appeared to be trapped inside a crashed ship. I couldn’t attack the drone and it could not attack me...or so I thought. I landed the Explorer One and proceeded to mine the promethium. As I was mining I heard the sounds of an attack. I assumed it was another base attack and continued to mine. The attack continued longer than normal, so I made my way out of the hole I was mining and saw the ‘trapped’ drone hovering above Explorer One firing plasma bolts into the ship. I immediately attacked and destroyed the drone. To my horror, the ship had a hole in the roof and the warp drive, engine, and oxygen tank were destroyed. I called Johnny over and we started disassembling the ship to reuse the part to make another CV. We did not have enough parts to complete the new ship and waited for more drone attacks to scavenge parts. I then used the promethium I mined to create energy cells back at the base. I fueled up the fighters and Johnny and I came up with a plan. Johnny would recon for other resources while I scavenged downed drones that were attacking our base. During Johnny’s reconnaissance he spotted an enemy flying gunship. I acknowledged his report and continued my mission.

We were finally able to get enough parts to create a new CV. Things appeared to be going well. Famous last words. The gunship made its way to our base and started attacking it.

Johnny and I attacked the gunship, shooting off the turrets and we successfully drove the gunship away at the expense of all our fighter ammo. Once the gunship left I tried to place our new CV, however the base landing pad was not large enough to accommodate the big ship. No problem, we had enough material to expand the landing pad. ‘No problem’ turned into a huge problem because the gunship had returned and proceeded to attack us again.

The base guns were holding off the gunship until 4 drones came and joined the attack. The base was being shot to pieces while I scrambled to expand the landing pad. The base cannons ran out of ammo and things were looking bad. I expanded the landing pad to the point we could place the new CV however there was one of our destroyed fighters blocking the pad. We had to quickly disassemble the fighter while dodging the attacks of the drones and the gunship. We successfully disassembled the fighter and started attacking the drones. The gunship flew once our base was out of commission. We were able to destroy the drones, however we needed to repair the landing pad.

With the landing pad repairs completed, we were able to place the new CV. That’s when the gunship returned and started to attack us again (because why not?). I jumped aboard the new CV, dumped the warp and engine fuel and took off before the gunship could do any serious damage to our new ship, leaving us stranded there. During this time, Johnny was not able to make it aboard the ship and I had to fly out of range of the gunship. I had a tough decision to make. I was running out of oxygen, the ship had no oxygen (remember in my early excitement I put it all into the base), and limited resources, so I left Johnny and warped back to our home planet.

Johnny was….concerned, however I had a plan. Warp home, grab spare oxygen, warp back, and pick up Johnny. As I approached Akua my oxygen was running out. I made it into the atmosphere before I suffocated. I was communicating with Johnny telling him to hang in there, I was coming. I quickly landed the ship, jumped out, ran over the edge of the platform, landed on the ground using my jetpack to slow my descent, grabbed spare oxygen tanks, ran back to the landing platform, took the elevator up to the landing pad, boarded the ship, loaded the oxygen and headed back into space.

I warped back to the hostile planet and proceeded at maximum speed to the planet. Johnny was calmly telling me he was going to die. He was letting me know how much oxygen he had left and I tried to reassure him that we were going to be OK. As I entered the atmosphere Johnny was out of oxygen and starting to suffocate. I found his transponder on the map and landed the ship a few meters away from him. I watched him slowly walk to the ship and he came aboard. I shouted ‘TAKE YOUR HELMET OFF!” and once he did I heard a huge gasp for air. We both had survived and learned valuable lessons. I then piloted the ship back into space and warped safely home. So ended our first warp.

zaphodikus likes this.