Fractalite's design challenge of the month 4/30/17 - 6/1/17

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fractalite, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

BUILD ME A SHIP WORTHY OF.... well, actually this time, MORDOR!

Welcome to Fractalite's design challenge month of maniacal mania....

erm.... I mean,

Welcome to Fractalites design challenge of the month 4/30/17 - 6/1/17!

For this we are going to have two, count them, TWO different challenges! One, a two-week raidable POI challenge, and the second, the month long challenge; a CV to end all CV's!

I am not going to type some sort of internet colloquialism like "TL;DR", as, if you are made of the stuff of legends and wish to participate in this, the grandest of challenges, then you will read! And then you will design, and then you... will... BUILD! *sound of rolling, crackling, thunder*

I congratulate you on your willingness to display that sterner stuff, that mettle of mettles; for us humble mortals to witness such a display is the thing of lifetimes!

Come! Let us examine the gauntlet:​

The First:

Shall be a Capital Vessel of the utmost in death, mayhem, and destruction! A vessel to shake the very foundations of a solar system, not to mention the galaxy! Players who view it will beg for mercy having view its horrible visage! Muhahahahaha... ha... ha... *hack* *Cough* *Wheeze*​

The last two weeks have involved maximums. In this challenge, we are going to utilize MINIMUMS.

It must:
    • Be GREATER than 100k iron ingots
    • Be GREATER than 5k copper ingots
    • Be GREATER than 5k Silicon ingots
    • Be GREATER than 1.5k Neodynium ingots
    • Be GREATER than 150 plastic raw material
    • In some way, utilize GREATER than 250 wood planks
    • Utilize every single turret, including sentry turrets
    • Utilize every single fixed mounted weapon
    • The fixed mounted weapons must be in 4 different locations at least 15 blocks apart(the separation can occur in any of the 6 directions or diagonally)
    • Must possess a MINIMUM of 4 separate hangars
    • At least 2 of those hangars must have easy and clean access for HV's
    • Possess at least 6 different external landing areas for SV's and entrances into the ship for the pilots
    • Possess two entirely different separate bridge/cockpit areas
    • The bridge cockpit areas must contain > 6 deco items
    • Contain two separate living areas for crew, one for the captain, and one for an Admiral(or equivalent alien stature)
    • Utilize >/= 64 growing plots
    • Possess both ground and top-of-ship access
    • All thrusters are large or XL ONLY (A note, due to Donbingo's exceptional and imaginative use of small thrusters, medium and small thusters are now allowed but all non-L/XL thrusters used must have an obvious non-thruster use - in Donbingos case, it was for a cooking fixture)
    • Must possess one of the 6 thrust directions GREATER than 75 m/s^2
    • Have a warp drive and warp drive tank
    • All lights are controlled via switches or motion sensors
    • Have a total fuel capacity > than 100,000
    • Have an oxygen capacity >/= 2x what it takes to fill the ship
    • Every single main room/side room needs to be airtight and possess a ventilator
    • Have landing gear - I had a misstep that first week, will not happen again, I want landing gear. :eek::cool:
    • The base color of the ship must be either white, black, darkest red, darkest grey, darkest blue, darkest purple, darkest green, or darkest brown
    • Clearly have pipes/blocks and textures running throughout the ship to the various devices/imaginary components/weapons
    • Contain directions on LCD's and have all functions and areas clearly labeled.
    • Not already on the workshop, and be brand new for the challenge
    • Be your design.
    • Have at least ONE part/section that is not physically connected to the ship - like a floaty bit
    • BE MENACING - Mean/vicious/alien/aberrant. No pleasant cargo ships, no transports, no corvettes, and no... Fandangos... *shudders* :p:D:cool::)

Bonuses for this challenge include:
    • Your ship contains airlocks and decontamination areas
    • Your landing gear is unconventional
    • You label your rooms via the LCD's in an invented cool alien language
    • Your engine room and, especially, the warp drive/warp drive tank, is artistically displayed.
    • Have a prison/confinement area that evokes existential horror
    • Represent cargo/fuel/ammunition in your ship in ways other than cargo boxes
    • Utilize gravity, via switches or signal logic, to propel players at enemy ships/bases - a boarding catapult. Examples: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765608710 and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=759955840

The second:

Shall be a Raidable POI of such insidious cunning, and ingenious construction, that few will conquer it's halls!​

It Must:
    • Have GREATER than 6 alien pulse laser turrets
    • Have GREATER than 4 alien ion turrets
    • Have GREATER than 8 external alien sentries
    • Be at least 10 blocks high at its highest point MINIMUM
    • Have every door controlled by a switch/trap/signal logic - no setting doors to some silly number
    • Have one main entrance and one secret entrance - only post pictures of the secret entrance in spoilers(send me a conversation if you do not know how to do that and want instructions)
    • Have two separate paths through the structure; one obvious, one, less so - like duct work.
    • Utilize explosive blocks in at least one way
    • Utilize alien containers; the higher the color the harder it should be to get - but no purples!
    • Utilize the alien admin core
    • Every spawner/spawner block must spawn at least 2 different types of enemies and be set to switches or traps
    • Every spawner block must generate >/= 20 enemies
    • Feel "Lived in" - deco, etc.
    • Possess a theme - power station, barracks, etc.
    • Be entirely green with respect to SI

Bonuses for this challenge include:
    • You time things right so the the player has juuuusssst enough time to read an LCD with a clever message(thanks to @Captain Jack II ) before they meet their doom via the explosive block(s)
    • You form your POI in a non-human style shape/theme
    • You label all the rooms in LCDs that have an invented cool alien language
    • You have glowly textured bits in either neon green, neon red, or neon blue
    • Be the entire length of 50% of the building grid - so 125 blocks, upwards(height.)
    • Create a cool name for your POI

Having arrived at the end of this overview of the challenges I believe I know what you are thinking, "But Fractalite, why do you not have two different threads for this challenge? They are two different things!" Well, my finely feathered friend, here is why: Outside of the bonus conditions for each challenge, there is also a bonus condition for the entire month! Huzzah! You will bring no shame upon yourselves, and will still garner the adulation of your peers if you complete one of the two challenges above.

BUT

the bonus challenge for the entire month shall be if you can combine the two challenges! *reader gaspes in surprise at the fiendish cleverness*

Conditions include:

Note: That if you take this approach, the two time limits merge into one, and it becomes a month-long challenge.

Optional approach:
    • Turn your ship into a derelict by either incorporating holes and truss blocks, or, after it is built, "punch holes" into the ship and add things like floating debris - be warned, this is harder that it might sound. Be sure to use MANY saves!

Disclaimer: Fractalite is not responsible for any lost sleep, lack of food, or slaps on the face from a disgruntled lovers as a result of this challenge. Send all complaints to

@Hummel-o-War
    P.O. Box 7689
    123345 Somewhere in Germany

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. Michael Lovelace

Michael Lovelace Lieutenant

Sounds like fun, Lots of work to do, i guess i should get started.

3. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Not really a fan of this kind of sorcery but... I guess I just have to make it work :p

GREAT choices for the challenge! Really excited, already have a vision for a CV.

4. Kyrt Malthorn

Kyrt Malthorn Captain

Dang. I was actually thinking my next design could be a ship along these lines (never tried a POI yet but I'd like to try someday).

Now if I weren't working 60+ hour weeks right now...

Fractalite likes this.
  5. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Captain

• Developer
    Too many requirements

Pyston likes this.
  6. Ranger

Ranger Rear Admiral

No Fandangos ??? Pfffft. Says you.

rainyday and Fractalite like this.
  7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Good luck sir! This is gonna be epic!

I am eager to see it. Your existing class 10 is mindbogglingly awesome.

Remember, you have the entire month. Pace yourself! Post design framework here for review/help with brainstorming.

rainyday likes this.
  8. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

Depending on how it go tomorrow, then I'm in for the CV. I may be in no matter what, but if it go well, then I may not have the time :)

rainyday likes this.
  9. Kyrt Malthorn

Kyrt Malthorn Captain

@Fractalite ok I'll TRY. Life is ridiculously busy right now but I guess if I don't finish in a month, I'll just have two large CV's to compete instead of one.

Fractalite and rainyday like this.
  10. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Nice!

11. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

How many ships can we enter? I have an unpublished one that almost fits the bill, and I have another in mind.....

Fractalite likes this.
  12. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

You gotta build one, not just enter them :) Still, the more the merrier, so there is no limit.

13. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

It is built! Still, if I can pull off what i am thinking of.....

Fractalite likes this.
  14. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Do it. Pull it off - build that new ship. Bring wonder to our eyes.

15. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Can I propose that the darkest purple be allowed as a base color also?

16. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Ummmmm.... ummmmm... sure. I have been debating this for a few minutes... can that really be menacing? I guess that does fit the bill, I will update the OP.

rainyday and Kyrt Malthorn like this.
  17. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

just started on a CV, but then I again realized why all my builds take so long time. not only research for small detail nobody but me notice, but I always come by things I just have to make while looking for inspiration.... :)
    Will just for the fun post it here later if it work ;)

rainyday likes this.
  18. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Isn't purple like the ultimate 'evil villain' colour? :p

19. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

any of you builders that know if there are a command that can delete all of a specific type of blocks?

20. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

Ok that idea is a lot of boring work, so Ill do it in between more fun stuff, but here it is ;)
    20170502185649_1.jpg

that's the framework for a proximity mine field ;)
    Each block has a sensor on each side, and when all is set, the frame will be removed.
    And I discovered that the sensors work without power, so I have to be careful when setting them ;)

I don't know why I cant figure out to make test like this in small scale .....

I know this is not really related to the competition, but I got the idea while looking for inspiration for the competition, so its a little bit related :)

Edit: if this work, and are going to be made as a full blocks then the core should be in the center, and the whole field should be spawned with the core in the middle of a res. asteroid.

SoCalExile and Siege Inc. like this.