Fractalite's design challenge of the month 4/30/17 - 6/1/17

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fractalite, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

will I be disqualified if I use a couple of small thrusters? I may not use them at all, but wanted to know.
    Just an idea not sure if I am going to use it.
    20170512231841_1.jpg

vicomt, ion_storm, Siege Inc. and 2 others like this.
  2. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

3. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Yup. Nice try though. Kinda brilliant! :cool:

Captain Jack II likes this.
  4. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

ok then. had looked forward to scare the hell out of the chef each time I descent. can always add them later ;)

rainyday and Siege Inc. like this.
  5. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

@Fractalite Maybe you can figure this out. I'm at a loss. My problem is the alien sentry guns aren't shooting what they're supposed to. They're set to attack Other Factions only. I would have thought unchecking Predators/Alien would get them to stop shooting crawlers, etc. And they aren't shooting at me for some reason when I spawn it in Survival mode. The base faction is set to Alien so it should be hostile to me.

Would you mind taking a look at this when you get a chance? Thanks.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Fractalite likes this.
  6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Sadly this is an older problem. I assume you are loading it into survival with the console command "spawnanyblueprint?" If so, the alien sentry turrets have a friend-or-foe setting that is hard-coded into them and, at least as far as I have read, cannot be over-ridden. This means that if you spawn the structure, they will always regard you as "yay" and everything else as "boo" and then if the game spawns them as hostile POI's, it is the reverse.

The way to do what you want to do is to create a scenario where the starting structure is your POI. I have not spent any time with scenarios because they seem a little, well, rough... right now. :) However, @Captain Jack II has; lets see if my summoning him leads to some illumination onto the difficulty.

Captain Jack II and Siege Inc. like this.
  7. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Thanks for the answer! I was tearing my hair out wondering what the heck was wrong. I hope they make it easier to do this in the future.

Fractalite likes this.
  8. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

It's F'ing HARD right now. And I still don't even know the basics, so I struggle with the same kinds of things. The core of the BP is key I think. I put an Alien Admin Core into one of my POIs and that thing shoots at me no matter what.

Attached is my first attempt. All it is right now is a planet, and ONE poi somewhere. Lol. Console ENTS to see where. Feel free to steal or borrow whatever info you can glean from it. P.S. Turn shadows OFF for best performance.

Sorry about the hijack.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  9. vicomt

vicomt Captain

In tonight's show folks, we have to go deeper.... We heard you like Hangars, so we put a hangar in a hangar!

This is up at the front of the ship, in a general entrance type area, immediately behind us is a crew area, with access to the rear of the ship. left and right are elevators to the official reception area (for greeting the bigwigs), the Captain's Bridge and private quarters.

[​IMG]

10. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I am not sure I am awesome enough to even look at those pictures let alone view the ship... wow.

oojimaflip and vicomt like this.
  11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Glad I was able to provide some relief. Be sure to finish it though, do not let the developers pace or decisions slow you down.

12. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Oh it's getting done. Just need to add lights and a few finishing touches(and do a little more testing to make sure the sensors/doors/spawners work as expected). One of the traps is uh, kind of mean. Taking a break though because my brain is fried from setting up all those sensors and levers and doors, etc.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    oojimaflip, rainyday and Fractalite like this.
  13. Captain Jack II

? The Captain's ears be a ringin'!

oojimaflip, GoldDragon and vicomt like this.
  14. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

It's not for you Jack, it's for Thursday! :cool:

15. vicomt

vicomt Captain

Hehe :oops:

Wait 'til you see the entire thing, it'll blow your socks off :D

We mostly finished the front of the ship tonight, which is good, there's a helluva lot of detail work to do, but at least we're fully airtight now, which means structure complete, and just the grunt work to do.

With regard to grunt work, we have a very nascent paint scheme in mind, although I have to ask... what percentage of the ship has to be the base colour? how much can we leave textured but a different colour to the base?

16. Captain Jack II

I love Thursday. I hope she wears a skirt.

oojimaflip and Siege Inc. like this.
  17. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I present the Zirax Fortress. It's a small to mid sized POI. Some tricks. Some treats. 18 kilotons of mean. Bring plenty of ammo and med kits. Maybe a friend or two. Just in case.

Updated: Made a slight change so it's possible to escape from one of the traps.
    So what follows is a spoilery guide to this POI.

The alien admin core means you're not going to be busting in through a random wall or the floor and the layout should prevent the use of mini-assault vehicles. You're going to have to take this one on foot....after you dispose of the exterior defenses of course. What can I say...they don't like visitors.

There are three entrances: the bottom floor, through the second floor balconies, and a third secret entrance. Of the two doors on the bottom floor one leads to a dead end. Trapped of course but there's loot to be had. Through the other door more Zirax lie in wait...well, not exactly waiting. You see that motion sensor you tripped on the way in alerted them to your presence. Use the lever to unlock the elevators doors to the next floor.

If you prefer you could go through the balcony doors directly to the second floor but you'll have to find some way to unlock the exterior doors first. Hint: use the levers on the roof areas above. Using them is not without risk. They activate hidden spawn panels. Once you hit the second floor you'll find it heavily defended with a variety of sentries....and turrets! But strangely empty.....or is it. Again, you need to use levers to unlock the doors to the next level but they're tied to multiple, hidden spawners.

The next floor is fairly straight forward. Beat down the defenders and shoot out the glass walls protecting the loot and a lever to unlock the door. The floor in the elevator is trapped. It's a trap door leading to a long fall and some explosive blocks at the bottom. If you were wondering why the LCD sign posted there says "Into the garbage chute flyboy" that's why. Shoot out a block and a console at the bottom to get out. When you get back to this point you can jump up to the elevator shaft to proceed upwards.

This takes you to the top of the control tower. More bad guys, more loot. Observant players will note a damaged spot on the floor and shoot their way through to a hidden room. Heavily defended. Sentries and laser turrets will hold players off giving the spawner time to spit out a bunch of bad guys but this is where the whole thing pays off: multiple loot containers behind destructible glass walls.

Congrats! You've beaten the Zirax....for now. They'll be back!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sekrit entrance. Shoot the glass...er wall.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  18. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

@Siege Inc. Nice, going to have to have a poke round that later ;)

[​IMG]

Put Her down planetside... damn this thing is.... a tad... a wee smidge... on the large side!:D

....so much painting:oops:

Edit: I just realised I keep posting images that are pretty trolly by way of not really showing anything, so here's a rear view showing more of the shape!;)
    [​IMG]

Bwaaahahahaha!:p

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Siege Inc., rainyday and vicomt like this.
  19. vicomt

vicomt Captain

@Fractalite - need an answer to this before we can finalise the paint scheme ;)

And @oojimaflip , how on earth did you find a landing area big enough :D

oojimaflip likes this.
  20. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Suprisingly She doesn't need a massive flat area to land.... just about 5 spots, a bit spaced out, kinda :D

vicomt likes this.