Fixed Fuel calculation delayed when structures are loaded [1184]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by ravien_ff, Dec 15, 2023.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: 4258
    Mode: Default Creative

SERVER NAME: NA
    SEED-ID: Any

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No

Reproducibility: Both times I tested
    Severity: Major

Type: Fuel Usage

Summary: Fuel usage for unloaded ships and bases are delayed, potentially causing extreme loss of fuel upon reloading the structure.

Description: Upon returning to a structure that was unloaded (such as logging back into a server, flying back to base, or returning to your home planet from another playfield) the calculations that determine how much fuel your ship or base was supposed to use are delayed.

Instead of checking the power use of the structure immediately upon loading it and then deducting fuel based on that value, the check can be done seconds to sometimes minutes after the structure has become loaded causing a potentially far greater loss of fuel.

Example 1: If a player on a server logs into their base after being offline for 12 hours and turns on their base's gravity generator, the game may deduct fuel from the fuel tanks as if the gravity generator was on for the full 12 hours.
    Example 2: A player uses a sensor to control a teleporter so it doesn't waste power and teleports away. When they teleport back if the sensor turns on the teleporter it will use fuel as if the teleporter was on the entire time.
    Example 3: A player playing Reforged Eden on a server has a ship that has a power draw of 0 while the thrusters are off so it can idle forever to keep the fridge running. When they log in they turn on their thrusters and begin to fly away. The fuel calculation then takes place and deducts fuel as if they had been running the thrusters the entire time they were offline.

While I cannot confirm that the bug I reproduced using the steps below is the same bug that has been reported before on multiple servers, it behaves exactly the same so I believe it is.
    This bug also seems to empty a base's solar capacitors, since the game thinks the offline power draw was greater than it should have been.

Just to clarify: the problem isn't that the offline power calculations are incorrect, it's that the offline power calculations are taking place seconds or minutes after the structure has been loaded. This means if a player starts turning on devices before the calculation is done, the game will think those devices were on the entire time the structure was unloaded.
    It's noticed more often on servers due to the 24/7 nature of servers and also probably because the calculations seem to be delayed for longer on servers than in SP (if you see my testing video below the calculations seemed to be delayed only a few seconds but on servers we've had it delayed by up to 2 minutes).

I hope this report can help narrow down the issue.
    Please let me know if you need any other information.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Start a new default creative game on the Arid planet.
    2) Make a base with a teleporter controlled by a switch, or spawn the attached blueprint.
    3) Make sure the base is on, the teleporter is off, and there is fuel in the fuel tanks.
    4) Check the power remaining timer with the teleporter off and with the teleporter on and note the estimated power times.
    5) With the teleporter off, use the dm menu to leave the planet and go to orbit and wait 5 minutes.
    6) Return to the planet using the dm menu and teleport to the base and quickly flip the switch to turn the teleporter on.
    7) If you do it fast enough, the base will use fuel as if the teleporter was on for the entire time you were away from it instead of the few seconds it was turned on.
    8) See linked video below for reproduce steps.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    Attached is the base blueprint I used, but this can happen with any ship or base.
    Link to previous bug report: https://empyriononline.com/threads/fuel-calculation-badly-bugged-00938.101602/
    Link to a video where I tested this in real time, so sorry about the 5 minutes of doing nothing:

Attached Files:

2. japp_02

japp_02 Commander