Fixed Fuel duplication exploit

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by KFCSpork, Jan 15, 2019.

1. KFCSpork

KFCSpork Ensign

I've seen a couple of variations of this bug posted but I wanted to add my own repro case. I suspect that there is one underlying inventory transfer bug that is surfacing in many different types of ways depending on what the user is doing in the Logistics screen. For my case I'm focusing on loss or duplication of fuel as this is what I'm most easily able to repro. However I've also seen, for example, an entire stack of ore disappear after shift-clicking it back and forth between the left and right containers in the Logistics screen. (I have not been able to repro that one yet.)

Mode: Survival

SERVER NAME: Repro'd on No Mans Land server (As well as in singleplayer mode)
    SEED-ID: Works on any seed.

MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: DontKnow

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Logistics / Inventory

Summary: It's possible to either lose or duplicate fuel using the Logistics screen.

Description: There appears to be a bug in the way item "accounting" is done in the Logistics screen, and this can result in either loss of items or duplication of items/resources (energy, O2) depending upon the order of operations taken by the user. I'm providing 2 cases: In the first one I am demonstrating how to exploit it to "double your fuel" within the size constraints of your Fuel Tank. In the second one I show how to lose your fuel.

Steps to Reproduce (Double your fuel exploit):
    1. Start with a BA that has an empty fuel tank.
    2. Add 50 biofuel to your personal inventory.
    3. Press P to open the Control Panel for your BA. Navigate to the Main tab. Click the Manage button beneath Fuel. The Logistics screen opens.
    4. Ensure that the left pane of the Logistics screen is set to the [Player] inventory, and the right is the Fuel tank for your BA.
    5. Pick up your 50 biofuel and drop them into the fuel tank. DO NOT close the Logistics screen yet.
    6. On the right hand (Fuel) pane, type a number into the Withdraw Fuel box that's at least as large as the Total Content of the Fuel tank.
    7. Click the "<<" button to transfer fuel back out of the tank an into your inventory.
    8. Close out of the Logistics screen immediately without touching any items in your inventory.
    9. Open your inventory to verify that you now have both your original 50 Biofuel, but also some Fuel Packs equal to the Biofuel. You've just doubled your fuel.

Steps to Reproduce (Lose your fuel exploit):
    1. Start with a BA that has an empty fuel tank.
    2. Add 5 Fuel Packs (Promethium) to your personal inventory. Also, make sure you have at least one other, non-fuel item in your inventory.
    3. Press P to open the Control Panel for your BA. Navigate to the Main tab. Click the Manage button beneath Fuel. The Logistics screen opens.
    4. Ensure that the left pane of the Logistics screen is set to the [Player] inventory, and the right is the Fuel tank for your BA.
    5. Pick up your 5 Fuel Packs (Promethium) and drop them into the fuel tank. DO NOT close the Logistics screen yet.
    6. On the right hand (Fuel) pane, type a number into the Withdraw Fuel box that's at least as large as the Total Content of the Fuel tank.
    7. Click the "<<" button to transfer fuel back out of the tank an into your inventory.
    8. At this point you should see your fuel, as well as your non-fuel item, sitting in your inventory on the left.
    9. Click the non-fuel item to pick it up momentarily. Your fuel disappears from inventory. Click again to put the non-fuel item back into your inventory, then close the Logistics screen.
    9. Re-open your inventory and BA fuel tank to verify that you have lost your fuel.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    N/A

2. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

happening to us also on local co-op
    what was a consistent bug that duplicated inventory items are now inconsistently duplicating or disappearing items. Seen most often with fuel and O2 but happens with lots of things.

3. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Does this also work for you in SP? Do you have a low Ping to the server or do you play on crowded playfields? Just in case.

4. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

In my single player 9.2.1 2166, it is working correctly. server owner just updated to 2166 and it seems to be working correctly now as well.

Except we are still unable to shift-click fuel or O2 into tanks into tanks. this is a most unpleasant exercise with biofuel and small O2 bottles as the larger units can be moved easily with the fill all, but biofuel and small O2 are not included in the fill all for good reason.

5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Thanks for updating. Maybe keep an eye on this.

Shift-Move is beeing looked into already

stanley bourdon likes this.
  6. KFCSpork

KFCSpork Ensign

I've re-checked these 2 cases and both now appear to be fixed.