Fixed Game crash while building on the "Wreakage" - previously named Heidleberg (8164)

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Arkbg1, Oct 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Arkbg1

Arkbg1 Ensign

CTD while building on the "Wreakage" previously named Heidleberg

Build: 1.6.2.3511
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Single Player and Peer2Peer Coop

SERVER NAME: Private server
    SEED-ID: 791919

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No(?)

Reproducibility: Always (or at least very often)
    Severity: Crash, Major(?)

Type: Global(?)

Summary: Game crash while building on the "Wreakage" previously named Heidleberg

Description: Empyrion immediately crashes anytime I place blocks like concrete or steel, use retreive block on the multi-tool, resource drill or pretty much any build action on my base. Cant be certain if its specific to Heidleberg. Upon crash a white window without text pops up temporarily, I assume to automatically save or upload crash logs. I have tried reloading steam, reloading windows, verifying game intergrity through steam, clearing all cache folders, updating to newest nvidia driver, checking virtual ram, etc. The only thing that temporarily worked was starting a new savegame but it only lasted a day or two until the crashing started again.

Coincedence? One potentially curious note is that the very first crash happened during our first Zirax raid, but the game never crashed again during a raid after that so maybe just a coincedence? Also noticed this in the consol if it could be related: couldnt create convex mesh from source mesh "mod_rocks_02_LOD0" within the maximum polygons limit (256)

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) start game
    2) load server
    3) equip multitool, drill, concrete block, etc
    4) retreive, resource drill, place block, etc
    5) crash

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

cant upload file directly due to error - file too large.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EuKAEV-XBsY6YnNjBGNLwSo2rJDZWSwa?usp=sharing

2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Hello,

from one of the crash folder logs I see a message warning of low memory "02-18:00:25.148 14_00 -ERR- Low memory detected." can you say how much RAM you have free & available around the time these crashes happen ?

What is you windows page file set to ?
    Can you try setting it to 32GB ?
    1. Open the windows control panel
    2. Select System
    3. Select Advanced system settings
    4. Click on the Advanced tab
    5. Under Performance, click Settings
    6. Under Performance Options, click Advanced tab
    7. Here, under Virtual memory, select Change
    8. Uncheck the box 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives'
    9. Select Custom size & in the 'Initial size' & 'Maximum size' boxes put in: 32768 (32GB)
    10. Click on 'Set' then 'Ok' then Click on 'Apply' in the 'Performance options' window
    11. At this point you should restart the PC

When trying this I haven't triggered any crashes in SP, Co-op or MP via the standalone dedicated server.

This is a harmless message you can ignore.

3. Arkbg1

Arkbg1 Ensign

Ok followed all steps in setting vram to 32gb and it just crashed again while drilling under the base. and most all of the PC RAM is avialable when it crashes.

4. Pantera

• Developer
    Ok can you try this without the game running open your Device manager & select "Display Devices" if you see this in the list "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" right click on it & select disable. Then try running the game once more.

Another step to try is this from here https://empyriononline.com/threads/troubleshooting-guide.98133/#post-386058

For NVIDIA users check in the NVIDIA Control panel that your dedicated GPU is selected for the game. To do this open the NVIDIA Control panel:
    1. Click on 'Manage 3D settings'
    2. Then select the 'Programs' tab
    3. Select Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe) from the drop down list under 'Select a program to customize' or if it is not visible in the list go to 4
    4. Select 'Add' if 'Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe)' isn't in the dropdown list of 'Select a program to customize' & in the list of 'Recently used' programs select 'Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe)' or use the browser option & navigate to the Empyrion galactic survival\Client folder & select Empyrion.exe
    5. Now with 'Empyrion Galactic Survival (Empyrion.exe)' selected scroll down until you find the option called 'CUDA - GPU's' & select it & click on the right side for the drop down box to appear
    6. Now make sure only the Dedicated GPU is selected select the option 'Use these GPU's' make sure only the dedicated GPU has a tick in the box next to it. If you can see 'Intel HD' in this list also make sure it is unticked.
    7. Click ok then in the bottom right a option should appear with a box 'Apply' select apply
    View attachment 73093

Do you have NVIDIA GeForce experience installed ? if you do try uninstalling it, restart your PC & try running the game again with GE uninstalled.

Any differences after any of the above ?

====

I notice the drive you have the game running from is an external drive according to your dxdiag ?
    Drive: F:
    Free Space: 380.6 GB
    Total Space: 3815.3 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device

Does the same behavior happen if you install the game on an internal drive ? (I notice you don't have much space on your C & D drives you would need to make sure to make space for the game first)

5. Arkbg1

Arkbg1 Ensign

1. there is no "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" listed under display devices in the device manager
    2. there is nothing other than NVIDIA under manage 3D settings > CUDA
    3. I do not have Gforce Experience installed as it has bricked both me and gfs PCs in past and we avoid that app.
    4. my C drive is a SSD, it was included as a part of a "hybrid" drive system pre-installed in my PC. I just freed up 40 of the 100 GB on my C drive today and may be able to move the installation tomorrow if there are no other options that can be thought of by then.

sorry this seems so complicated. thank you for trying to help pantera

6. AJPlaze

AJPlaze Ensign

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: v1.7.2 3647 28-15:16
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Dedicated Server

SERVER NAME: Private
    SEED-ID: 1011345

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: Yes (Escape from purgatory)

Reproducibility: Very Frequent
    Severity: Crash

Type:

Summary: Crash when multitool remove blocks

Description: When removing blocks with handheld or ship multitool the game crashes, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes multiple crashes in a row. Also happened with sv mining laser on asteroid a few times.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Equip multitool or access tool turret
    2) Start retrieving blocks
    3) Crash

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links: Attached

7. Tempus X

Tempus X Ensign

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build:3647
    Mode:Multiplayer
    Mode:

SERVER NAME:Eleon Official US Server
    SEED-ID:

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:N/A

Reproducibility:Random
    Severity:Medium?

Type: DirectX / D3D based crash

Summary: Seemingly random Client freeze / crash to desktop (no CoS) while salvaging NPC ships after defeating them in space, and placing a player core (to salvage whole parts).

Description:

Previously reported to Dev during 1.7.0 and 1.7.1 builds on modified vanilla server (crashes were more frequent there).

On official us server, after defeating high size class NPC vessels (huge FPS drop also), placing a player core, and then salvaging the ship, I experience CTDs with no CoS. This has occurred using the T2 multitool and the ship bases multi-turret. Sometimes I can salvage the entire ship with no crash, sometimes I'll get a handful of blocks before it crashes me. Upon immediately rejoining the server, regardless of other players in the playfield, the ship i was salvaging fully disappears (even if my core was placed on it to prevent self destruct).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reliably "reproduce" this as it seems to be DirectX related based on windows error reporting, and sometimes I can salvage a ship and be fine, sometimes I cannot. This has only ever occurred while salvaging NPC Ships, never while salvaging space (or planet based) POIs. For the record, while salvaging this ship (the Tianlong), i also experienced the "invisible wall" bug even after placing my own core. Upon turning the thrusters off, the invisible wall issue fixed itself, however the ship would turn its thrusters on randomly without player interaction, causing the invisible wall to resurface repeatedly and interrupting salvage. Including this information as it may be tied to the crash while salvaging.

Additional Notes: Occurred approximately 16:24 EST on USA Official server in "EWL I Moon Sector" while salvaging a destroyed Tianlong warlord vessel.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1)
    2)
    3)

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Attached Files:

8. Pantera

• Developer
    Update:
    We have been working on an optimisation that addresses the issue reported in this thread which is usually triggered by deconstructing a structure (lag spikes & crashes for some players).
    So far the lag spikes previously seen & the crashes triggered by this look to be gone for myself & a few other team members when testing the optimisation out.
    When it is ready to be released I'll update here again.

Germanicus and ravien_ff like this.
  9. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Captain

I have been getting this too. Though in my case it seems to be related to blocks being removed/destroyed on CVs in general. I actually managed to trigger the crash by removing a turret from my own CV with a multi tool.

Note: I am using the Reforged Eden 1.7 scenario and have NOT tried to reproduce this in the base game.

I Would upload my logs but in the year that I have been gone it seem that my ability attach file to a post has been removed.

10. Pantera

• Developer
    This mentioned optimisation is now available in the experimental branch.
    Please leave feedback here to say if the reported issue is now improved or resolved (stutters when deconstructing a structure, crashes when deconstructing a structure etc).

Germanicus likes this.