game has big food-problem.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kostriktor, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

im playing official-servers.

i died several times, and only to hunger.
    i hear ppl saying: if you lack food, just suicide to replenish it...

that is immersion-breaking in a survival-game

you know whats also immersion breaking ?
    killing a living beeing, just to fill up your food-bar by a fraction.

hunting should reward WAY MORE food !

killing a cow IRL gives you food for over 1 year !!

killing a cow-like beast in Empyrion, gives you food for ~5 minutes.

not only is this dumb and immersion-breaking, it is also disrespectful towards what died for my plate !

and yes yes, before you mention it; i know you can grow plants.

since this is a survival-game, we want to get immersed into it; plants are for medical-usage, eating them will only make you **** a lot, fart a lot, smell bad, and feel tired.

rework meat please !

EDIT: ive been vegan myself, so if you are an angry-vegan, trying to spread your fake-agenda you know nothing about, please leave before posting, thank you.
    and yes, you will die on your diet, humans are predators, and if you want to believe that we are omnivores or herbivores, only time will help you.
    therefor; take your time to think, elsewhere.

2. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Yeah, its part of the survival thing, and balances pretty quickly. Unless you are on an extreme start planet, food is pretty abundant.

What planet are you on? What is your food setting? What kind of armor are you wearing?

3. Spoon

Spoon Captain

IMO I think they are got it pretty right with the food.
    Yes the meat is not like real life, but lots of things are not like real life in this game and it just wouldn't work if it was.

byo13 likes this.
  4. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

Still it feels pretty odd when a giant triceratops gives you just 2 parts of meat.

byo13 and stanley bourdon like this.
  5. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

While I agree that meat drops need to be boosted, human beings in fact evolved as omnivores. Our dentition alone proves that. Being able to gain nutrition from a wider base is one of the factors leading to our success as a species

byo13, KRanKO5, SnowdogJJJ and 3 others like this.
  6. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

I aint never eaten triceratops...but maybe there are just two pieces that are edible for humans...kinda like those pufferfish that have a poisonous gland, except in reverse...we can only eat the tenderloins from alien critters as the rest of us will turn us into goop.

SnowdogJJJ likes this.
  7. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Imagine if they made the time and effort to butcher those suckers "realistic!" :p

I consider myself lucky to get only 2 meats (or any of the drops) so quick and easy!

8. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nah, doesn't convince me.

9. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

i would prefer more dropbut not so easy.

10. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Mod!

KRanKO5 likes this.
  11. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

I'd be OK with that, ala 7D2D. Hopefully, it would even mean having a knife, which would lead to other potential..

Actually, selling meat to the Talon would be an early way to make reputation and credit. There used to be a mission revolving around that

dichebach likes this.
  12. dichebach

dichebach Captain

In theory, I'm all in favor of such things. In practice however . . . well, in the first place, the fact every drop in the game de-spawns so rapidly would likely have to be revisited if an "more-realistic butchery and foraging" mechanic were considered. Given they are seemingly going in the OTHER direction (i.e., making more drops de-spawn more quickly), I am not sure that this group of developers would really take interest in such mechanics. They seem to like the current "arcade game" feel of the foot combat, hunting and foraging. It works and it carries into a reasonably rapid and satisfying flow of play in which larger concerns quickly overshadow mundane matters like "which pocket should I put my butcher knife in," or "now where do I start this first cut in order to minimize lost meat . . ."

Mods could do it, but mods would literally have to make adjustments to dozens of aspects of the game in order to effectively implement such mechanics.

13. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

ok ^_^

14. dichebach

dichebach Captain

ADDIT: ONE DAY! I hope to make a video game that focuses on flint-knapping! But I have yet to properly envision it, and how it would be made "fun" I cannot honestly fathom! :D Some experiences (like flint-knapping, carcass butchery, or searching a livid mortis enemy combatants' corpse for intell or valuables) which are pretty aversive though arguably "satisfying" in real life are very difficult to imagine translated into "fun game play!" :p

byo13 likes this.
  15. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

I don't expect them to implement it, it would just be nice if they did. I'd argue for drop success to be tied to tool quality rather than some meat cut chart

I'd see it as a more survival aspect of slowing down early game a bit. It's just wishful thinking, though

16. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

you mean survival-tool ? with the butcher-beam ?
    got it !

17. dichebach

dichebach Captain

If we EVER get to that stage of RPG dynamics with this game I will be GIDDY!

At this point, our characters are just blank slates though, and none of the NPCs (well very damn few) have any names or individuality, and I think there is a LOT of stuff that needs to be brought online and implemented before traditional "skill/tool-quality/time-allocated" RPG dynamics are applied to things like harvesting (Character attributes being the most notable!)

When I stop to imagine a game in which my character might start as a "Trainee Trader" or "Rookie Merc" instead of a "Disaster Survivor" and that I might tailor any given character along distinctive developmental paths like: bounty hunter, spy, merchant, etc., my imagination can run away, but I'm not even sure if any of these developers have any intent to go there. Some of the questions in the 2020 survey SUGGEST that they are considering going in those directions, but these honestly seem like high-risk features to introduce and I would've thought they would've wanted to have introduced them while still in "Early Access" . . . Who knows . . .

byo13 likes this.
  18. ChumSickle

ChumSickle Captain

Well, it was tongue in cheek...

I too would like to see more meat be butchered when cleaning an animal, and lets face it, almost all of them are big enough to feed someone for a while. But I totally understand the current set up because food would just be too easy if killing one raptor gave you 100lbs of meat. I think the trade off we get is that meat animals respawn quickly, so getting more is never really an issue.

19. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

absolutely !
    that is why we have a fridge !
    to store all that good meat.

and why is it legit to kill all those animals ?

we should orient ourselves in positivity !
    the redskins took 1 buffalo, and it fed them for months !

why should i go out there every 15minutes and kill herds of animals just to survive?

you do realize its easier to just starve and then pickup your stuff and keep doing what you were doing ?

the design is obviously wrong !

do the right thing; give those animals we kill for food tons of meat, to fill our fridges and we can finally play the game as intended, instead of "suiciding instead of eating".

20. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

I have never suicided instead of eating. Usually i have more then enough meat from the various things that try to eat me that i can sustain myself on it until i can get a Garden set up. When i do not have meat from things that tried to eat me. I make do with energy bars.