Getting Started

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by keyofrassilon, Nov 27, 2018.

1. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

I've been playing around with the various tools, editing files etc and managed to add a planet to a creative scenario I copied from the existing one, as to not overwrite anything, using solar system generator... What I wonder after looking through the playfields is water. Can I make custom water colors or do I have to use the predefined ones? Say for instance I am making an alien planet with purple water, how would I go about doing that? Would I use WaterColor?

2. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

Well I found out WaterColor doesn't work. It crashes the engine. So my next question, if anyone knows is how to add new decoration blocks? Water, trees, grass, rocks etc. Mostly edit the textures but I gather making new additions since I wouldn't want to write over the originals. Working with what I got I managed to reproduce Thoros Beta from Doctor WHO. Going to work more on the rocks since I think they should look smaller...

First attached picture is my current playfield
    Second is from my old project Cosmic Explorer
    Third & fourth is from Dr. WHO

Attached Files:

3. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

At present, only the devs can add new objects/assets.

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can only use the predefined water colors or lava.

5. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

Too bad. Would be easier to make my own vs guessing what is in the game. None of the small rocks work anymore I get [Decoration] Object not found so an updated list of objects would be nice lol

6. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

I worked with what I had and came up with this. Learned to create templates for the Solar System Generator, compared other templates, and went from there. It's a lot of work but I think I will enjoy creating a few planets in the future... Once I get the bugs worked out of the planet I'll share it here

Attached Files:

ravien_ff and Germanicus like this.
  7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm addicted to creating planets. There's so much room for creativity even with the current limitations. Right now I've been focusing on creating custom POIs while I wait for alpha 9.

8. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Those look fantastic! Well done!:cool:

9. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

Thank you. Like I said it's lots of work so I understand from a dev perspective what coding all this means. I am currently working on my own similar project with a different approach and I have been now since about 2008. I enjoy creating more than coding though so it goes very slow... And Empyrion in many respects is way better than No Man's Sky, just to point that out. It may not have the prettiest ships or smooth space to planet landing transitions, or quadrillion stars to explore. it still inspires me to move forward with my own endeavors. Keep up the good work guys!

10. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

I decided to make Mars just for the hell of it. I used a 8k relief map of the actual surface but I don't think it created the land masses I was expecting. Should the relief map (RAW) be 8k x 8k or 16k x 8k? Everything else looks alright. Final question for anyone who might know, is there planet rings in the engine? If not could some be added in the future?

Attached Files:

Monroe and ravien_ff like this.
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Looks cool!

You can use the asteroid field that is a ring, but no actual planetary rings like what Saturn has, yet.

12. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

I'll have to make do with asteroid belts then, for now. I wonder if you can pile them up around a planet and they show from the surface? Also I notice when setting clouds to be invisible on the surface, they are not the same from space. AtmosphereColor also is supposed to reflect the color from space? Here's a shot I took. You can see the Atmosphere is white and the clouds visible... i did set the AtmosphereColor to be the same as SkyColor. Also made the clouds transparent with CloudsOpacity: 0.0. The surface obviously is different. Seems darker than the colors I picked in Terrain Editor. I made them all a salmon/tan color

Attached Files:

13. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Unfortunately they are not visible from a planet's surface.

The clouds shown on a planet while you are in space don't seem to be affected by any cloud settings. I think it's a simple "If planet has atmosphere = show clouds while in space".

Sometimes the colors of a planet don't match up between orbit and on the surface. I am not sure what the game bases the color shown in orbit on. Combination of the color of the terrain + color of the planet's light or something maybe.

14. keyofrassilon

keyofrassilon Ensign

Thanks for all the help, I will just make do and see what they come up with in the future