Graphics Card Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gadget51, Dec 22, 2021.

1. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

My graphics card, (AMD Radeon R7 370), died a couple of days ago and it has been replaced with a MSI Geforce GTX 1050Ti 4GT LP 4GB GDDRS 1392 MHz.
    I was told this card would be slightly better than my old card, but I can start the game okay but not load or start games as it just crashes. I have validated it through Steam, but that has not solved the problem.
    Are my video settings right? (Screenshot attached). Empyion Video Settings.jpg

2. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

You may have remnants of your old card still in your system.
    Might want to give https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 a go and see if there are, as I have seen this cause all manner of issues when switching from AMD to nVidia.

dichebach and Kassonnade like this.
  3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Try also lowering your resolution a lot, and have it start in a window, then if it works start upping your resolution from there.

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1050-ti.c2885
    Here you find the abilities of your Graphic Card.
    Keep the In-Game Setting of the Card 1 Level below the best possible, i.e., instead of 1920x 1080 at 1600x900.
    Also set the Graphic Presets to a fast setting and raise afterwards the settings step by step to see what may have lead to over heating/ Shut Down.

dichebach likes this.
  5. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

I have managed to clear the AMD remnants, but the game still crashes to desktop when loading a saved game. I am going to try the resolution theme mentioned. Thanks for that info, it was very welcome. Let you all know what happens after the resolution test are done.

dichebach and Germanicus like this.
  6. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

I have now set the resolution to the lowest available (1200x720) and set to windowed. I have tried loading a saved game, three different games, and tried to start a fresh game. Every time it gets past loading planets, it crashes to desktop.
    I have checked the quality of the graphics card and the Geforce is supposed to be 140% of the Radeon. It might be that the computer itself is getting a bit old, it was bought as a low end gaming in 2015. It is an AMD FX 8320 Eight Core @ 3.50 GHz.
    At least I had 570+ hours with e game, and many deaths.
    Thanks for all the advice and help. Good luck to you all.

dichebach and Germanicus like this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Well that is not good.
    How much RAM has your PC?

8. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Might try one more validation via Steam - can't work less than it's already not working.
    Assuming this is a Windows PC, could also run the following from an admin command prompt:

SFC /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

The first command will check and attempt to repair any system file issues.
    The second will check the entire windows image and attempt to repair any issues there.

Your system's Event Log may also give some indication as to what is happening under the Application Log section.

dichebach, Germanicus and Kassonnade like this.
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

My laptop was bought in 2012 and is not as good as your PC : slower CPU and GPU, but 16 gb ram.

Are you running the vanilla game or a scenario ? When trying to load a game, were these saved prior to an update? You can try just restarting the game up to the main menu, then just close it from there normally (don't try a load or new game), close Steam, then try starting anew and start a fresh Vanilla game. Also make sure that the video settings at the bottom of the setting tab (if you scroll down) are all set to the lowest (check the water effects). If your game had many crashes you may want to restart your computer before making another fresh attempt.

Do you have other software running at the same time (anti-virus, browser...) ? How much space do you have left on your hard drive ? Is your cat chewing on the power supply cable ?

Try following @IndigoWyrd 's procedure to make sure you don't have a problem in some core Windows module.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  10. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

16gb

Germanicus likes this.
  11. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to try uninstalling then re installing the game, but closing down the computer between actions.
    If it does not work, I give up. Too long in the tooth for the agro.

Kassonnade and Germanicus like this.
  12. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

Well , I tried uninstalling it. When I re-installed it, my saved games were still there. No it did not work. I have tried on the lowest resolution, Fast, Good and Best. Lowered the frame rate, upped the frame rate, tried every combination of settings in Custom, but it still gets to loading the planets then it freezes and crashes to a black screen and eventually after about four or five minutes, closes completely, even Steam.
    I think the problem might be that I installed the game to an external drive as I do not have enough room on my main 'C' drive, and my 'data drive ('D'), has all my records and files.
    I can run 'Elite Dangerous' okay, but that also freezes after an hour of play, so I always exit just before the hour is up and go back to the game after about a couple of hours.
    Well, Thanks for all your help. Why is a 70 year old playing space games anyway? Going to try some other games and see if they work okay. Most of the games that are not on Steam, seem to run okay. Trains: A New Era, Trains 2019 (although it takes time to load up). World of Warships, World of Tanks, World of Warfare, but I think these are run through the internet.
    Just have to keep an eye out for any similar games to Empyrion.
    Thanks for your help and advice.

dichebach, Kassonnade and Germanicus like this.
  13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Usually it works much better the other way around : keep programs on main/ secondary drive, and put static data on external drive. Your system may just not have enough swapping space to run some games. Also most games have very low tolerance to long delays on critical operations due to being run on an external drive.

I realised in my early 20s that it was much cheaper to buy a computer and play at home at night then spending tons of money in bars and ending up with a headache. It's still the safest and cheapest leisure activity I have today, even though I do lots of other things outside the house. The day I break a leg biking in dense traffic, I will end up in front of my computer anyway...

14. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

As a wild, left-field effort - try creating a new user profile (New user) for Windows. Perhaps something in your user profile is causing this.
    You might also want to grab a copy of CrystalDiskInfo and take a look at the health of your hard drives. If you have bad sectors that are not being remapped successfully (or at all), this can cause all manner of problems as well.

If you are using SSD's, these too can have failings in them, and while they should also automatically remap, I have seen them fail to do so as well.
    You can also run Windows memory test to see if there's an issue in your system RAM, which can also cause all manner of issues.

Kassonnade likes this.
  15. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

Game still crashing back to windows desktop. Just before it crashes, I get the attached screenshot.
    My old GPU (AMD Radeon R7 370 4GB Ram), failed - overheating due to a fan fault. replaced with MSI - NVidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti 4GB Ram. All old AMD drivers and software has been removed and new and updated driver for the Geforce installed. (Professionally at great expense).
    All other high end games work ok, (FSX, Elite, Call of Duty 2, Trainz 2019).
    Have un-installed and re-installed several times with different graphics settings. Even the computer company that installed the new GPU is at a loss of what is happening.
    For what it has cost me so far, I could have bought a new computer!

Attached Files:

16. scapino

scapino Ensign

You might try deleting the cache. The next time you run the game it will be re-built.
    On my machine its located at G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Cache

Kurt

17. VulcanTourist

VulcanTourist Lieutenant

As that first screenshot demonstrates, the newish Unity Crash Handler is getting involved, which means that there is a detailed crash log and dump being created for each crash. You can find them in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Eleon Game Studios\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Crashes. There will be Crash subdirectories beneath it. Even though you've been rash and uninstalled the game, those will still be present. What are the first dozen lines or so from the latest error.log file?

That is all that is likely to be useful to me as a layman, but Eleon might be able to make sense of the rest and offer help that I/we cannot. You need to follow Eleon's detailed bug reporting procedure and submit this as a bug report with those files.

Germanicus likes this.
  18. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Either computers are super cheap wherever you might be, or whoever did the install and cleanup gouged the heck out of you. As VulacTourist mentioned, the Unity Crash Logs will likely shed some light on what is causing this issue. I would also ask what mods you're running, if any. If you are running any mods, have you tried removing them and starting just the base vanilla game?

Have you tried creating a new Windows user profile? (Assuming you are running in Windows)

Clearly there is something amiss here, if other games are working, at least two of which I recognize, that are not Untiy-based (Elite and CoD2), so this does seem to be something specific causing this. Also, if you look in your Event Viewer (again, assuming you're running in Windows) in the Applications section, you may find events specific to Emyprion. If you can post the text of one or more of these, it will also shed some light on the problem.

19. gadget51

gadget51 Ensign

I shall try the unity dump thing, I am not well into computers just like to play the games and things. I am also a keen photographer and I edit all my photos on the computer. So when I went to buy this one some 5 or 6 years ago, it was supposed to be a middle of the road gaming machine. About three years ago the cooler for the cpu popped and it needed replacing, and the hard drive needed replacing as it was getting slow and noisy. It cost me almost a weeks wages. Then a few days ago the graphics card died - cost me over a months pension, and today I wanted to print some photos for a family member and the printer would not print (print head fault). So I had to spend another £200 for a new printer. I asked the council if they recycled printers and yes they do at a cost of £250 + vat to collect it! Think I will change my name to 'Lucky'!

20. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

This is the #1 reason why people have piles of old hardware in closets, basements and/or storage units. Asking anyone to PAY to take old equipment, which they will then salvage for their own profit is utter stupidity.

Much cheaper to simply rent a storage unit for a month and abandon it, with all your unwanted junk inside, and make it someone else's problem.