Grenades - we need HAND Grenades

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bbk.3164, Mar 18, 2021.

1. bbk.3164

bbk.3164 Commander

Grenades - we need HAND Grenades
    Conventional and high-explosive

Miznit and Track Driver like this.
  2. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

They've been on the wish-list for a lo-o-o-o-ng time. Could be right around the corner.:rolleyes:

3. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Only the Box with the Grenades is locked and someone lost the Key...;)

Track Driver likes this.
  4. Track Driver

I hate when that happens!:mad:

Germanicus likes this.
  5. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

Yep we need grenades and also a stronger explosive than the c4. I have to craft hundreds of those just to keep up with breaking down doors and glass. There has to be a stronger one available at some point hopefully.

Track Driver likes this.
  6. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

what is wrong with the frag grenades that go in the grenade launcher?

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

To be honest it's a bit "cheaty" because it's just a regular rocket using the " is ballistic " parameter with a very slow speed and low range, so if an enemy is behing an obstacle and the player knows the exact distance to the enemy position, he can get him with a direct hit on the head.

There is no true "inertia" and it's a fake "ballistic", it is simply a direction/ vector change towards "something" and it's used equally in the "homing rocket" mechanic and in the "is ballistic" : the rocket makes a sharp turn towards the ground when it reaches its max range (for ballistics) or towards its target (for "homing"), it's not a parabolic trajectory following physics.

That being said, as soon as they find a way to allow "free motion" of various objects in the voxel grids, we have a chance to see "real" grenades but also lots of other things that are not possible now because of this limitation (elevators, moving blocks with colliders, falling debris damaging player when structures collapse, etc).

Track Driver and stanley bourdon like this.
  8. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Them not working by the rules of physics is different than not having them. Lots of things in this game do not work as they should. SEE PEE YOU for example. (Do not need this thread closed)

Sander Hydra and Kassonnade like this.
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Well there's a bit of "visuals" involved too, and a small sense of skill involved when "lobbing" a hand grenade with the right curve to hit the target.

When we mine surface rocks, the two small pebbles that spawn when the big rock disappears can be grabbed (collected) and they bounce/ roll down slopes so I believe they CAN do something not too far from a believable "ballistic" motion.

My main gripe with some features that I don't feel are required to enhance gameplay is that they still require to be checked for each frame generated by the game engine. It is not true to say that since a feature can be disabled, for example, it has no impact on gameplay : the game still has to check if "true" or "false" 60 times per seconds (for simulation purposes), even if "disabled" in the game options.

For one feature it can be unconsequential, but they do add up and have an impact by numbers. So when players propose "just have it as an option" it does not mean it will have no impact. This game could definitively afford some optimization, and feature bloat is not part of it.

The game does not recompile itself when we change options in a menu, unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    stanley bourdon and Track Driver like this.
  10. Track Driver

And with those explosives, perhaps detonation by command in addition to the timer. That way several charges could be set off together.

As for grenades, I had the opportunity to try the RG assault rifle w/ grenade launcher. It's an interesting (and fun) addition but lacks accurate aiming compared to the M-203 I carried many years ago. Same appears to be true of the RG bomb launcher. There's no "Norden bombsight" to pinpoint the drop and its not fast enough for carpet bombing like "Operation Arc Light" back in the 60's.

But I digress. Sorry.

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  11. Track Driver

I know I've chased those little buggers bobbing and weaving down the hill. It can be exasperating. I've even lost a couple that way.

Side note: "inconsequential" ;)

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Merci.

Track Driver and stanley bourdon like this.
  13. bbk.3164

bbk.3164 Commander

Any (!)
    you can even make a ROUND MENU for the rocket launcher - shoot rockets, or a reduced shot - with grenades (weak flight of the rocket and the timer 1-2 seconds before the explosion, and also RICOCHET from the walls)

paelleon and Track Driver like this.
  14. Track Driver

That's a feature I forgot (duh!). To be able to bounce off a wall to get around a corner without exposing yourself to direct fire is a definite plus. I don't know if it could work here, but if it did.....:D.

15. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

I don't think this game can currently represent the exact ballistic and gravity effect of throwing an object like a grenade, with bouncings etc. and that's why it's not yet included. It would be fine no doubt, especially if the player has also a chance to die in the blast because of rebounces or if some NPC 'elite troops' would use them too. Finally a good usage of the jetpack will be the result :)

16. paelleon

paelleon Ensign

The T1 rocket launcher is really more similar to a grenade launcher like the 6G30. Well, it's a futuristic weapons, but the damage and range it has really doesn't look like a RPG round, it is far less destructive.