Filed / Tracking Ground Prevents Placing Blocks [6476]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by Minbann, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:30 PM.

1. Minbann

Minbann Ensign

Building underground base. Cursor does not allow placement of a block next to an existing block if there is some amount of ground in the spot.

By "not allow" I mean the ghost block can't be positioned correctly. It's easily reproduced when trying to build a floor.

Example

Picture 1 shows ability to place block as expected. Picture 2 shows block 1 position above desired placement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 1:48 PM
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Is this on a dedicated server? If not, is this persistent in a savegame at this specific place or did the issue just happen once or resolve after restart (what means: can i reproduc this any way with your savegame?)

3. Minbann

Minbann Ensign

Local COOP server. I already filled in the section I depicted above (god mode). I created a new example. Enter player base, go through red door to generator room, turn around to face door and you will see orange colored block to lower left. This can be used to test.

Edit:

Found this related post below. I can confirm the OP results first hand.

https://empyriononline.com/threads/problem-placing-blocks-on-flat-ground-save.49343/

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 5:42 PM
  4. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Thx!
    Thats possibly the terrain-geometry preventing to use the "spothole". If you chop away a bit more of the terrain, it can be placed. Not sure if this can be improved, but will add this to the list.

5. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

The issue there is that the majority of the time you go to remove just a little bit of the terrain so that you can place the block but now the block has no terrain to support it. It just creates a catch 22 most of the time.

This leaves us needing to drill the ground away to place the block then needing to use the fill terrain of a t2 drill to re-add terrain to support the block.

I see this as a bug.

Pach likes this.
  6. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Ok. What I find easier to do to over come this problem.
    I remove the block next to the one needed. Next I replace the block I just removed but keep the button held down and then drag out the needed block so that little hole turns blue. When you release the mouse button both blocks should now be there. It seems dragging a row into the ground is permitted it's just when you stop short and leave those small holes. Granted it's not a fix and only a work around. But that is what I have adjusted in my building into rock.:)

7. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

My experience is the exact opposite. When it doesn't let me place a block there it won't allow it at all unless I drill the ground. I can't use the click and drag or lay a plane of blocks, it prevents it every time in those spots.

The only thing that works every time is removing the terrain, which leaves us in the situation I described above.

It just keeps saying no empty space to place blocks. Sometimes there is nothing more than the very corner of a block touching terrain, and yet I still can't place the block.

As I said, I see this as a bug. We have to destroy the terrain in order to be able to build, which leaves us with no structural integrity.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:47 AM
  8. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Wow ok. I have no answer for you. This seems to work for me all the time. Guess I will count myself lucky and hope I haven't jinked myself:eek:

9. Minbann

Minbann Ensign

In previous game builds you could place a block at the indicated position. I have spent significant time making underground bases. I have not been making cave builds recently so can't comment on the exact release that changed the behavior.