GTX Hosting with EAH (Troubleshooting Guide)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Fenra369, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

Hey,

So I've been reading a lot of threads about issues with getting EAH to work well with a hosted solution. I have created this thread as a means to both inform and ask about troubleshooting specifically for GTX Gaming (although it seems there are similar setups for others). As a note, only a small handful of games actually support EAH on their servers, and even then, the 'support' is more haphazard, hence me making this post.

Setup and Management
    To setup EAH on your GTX Server, you must install it via the Mod Manager. See this support article regarding this. It's important that you change the password, since it's actually the same one used everywhere. You can only modify this once you first connect and change the master tool config (not the slave config). DO NOT Install this mod while the server is running, it will cause the server to crash and become corrupt. It also takes about 1-2 minutes after the server start for EAH to connect, this is fairly normal. If you're getting issues like Client data not reloaded or Client can't login, you probably have the following:
    • Issues with telnet (Windows 10 does *not* have telnet installed by default, you must do it manually)
    • Issues with firewalls (this program will trigger many antiviruses and Window's protection controls, but this program is infact fairly safe)
    • Issues with UAC (Window's may use UAC to lock access to the application's usage of certain user folders where it may reside in)

What works/What doesn't
    Contrary to popular opinion, it does not appear that all EAH features work when used on the hosted solution. This is based in part due to the hoster's setup with how they use their control panel software, which causes problems for the EAH master tool. In short, the Control Panel for GTX (which I have seen elsewhere too) will attempt to log and register 'crashes', including from EAH. There are a number of cases where EAH will be interpreted as 'crashing' (likely due to not being responsive by control panel) which results in it being 'recovered' (a new version of EAH get started). Now there will be two EAH master tools (both of which are you connected to) that will duplicate every command and action. Eventually, this will accelerate server corruption and cause significant crashes. How to tell this is fairly simple:
    • Issue chat timetable commands, these will end up posting doubles or triples
    • Set a CB MOTD
    There are other instances where the control panel will not behave right either. For example, it is assumed by GTX that you will never use the EAH tool for managing backups, restarts, or starts (the control panel manages these things typically). In short, using any of these EAH features is a bad idea, because it will cause duplication as mentioned above and cause problems. To save yourself the trouble, this is what I know doesn't work for GTX:

• Restarts (in flyoutmenu or timetables)
    • Backups (in flyoutmenu or timetables)
    • Server Stop (in flyoutmenu or timetables)
    • Server Start (in flyoutmenu or timetables)
    You might ask yourself, "Well I want to do these things and ensure I can have backups!". The GTX CP has it's own method of doing this, check here for details. Some other things to note regrading EAH as well:
    • Timetable commands are still fairly usable, as long as you aren't trying to use the above options. Automating wipes for certain playfields and such is still very preferable to doing these commands manually
    • Working with EAH is an excercise in patience. The tool isn't immediately responsive, and this is mostly due to API changes made my Eleon the limit when it can get data. Therefore, expect things like structure list and such to be somewhat delayed, especially when you use warp commands
    • Be careful with debug/fix options! Many were designed to fix edge cases on the HWS Server, and may not work as mentioned depending on what thing you use. As time progresses, these will likely be more supported in the future.
    Hope this helps. Please reply if you still have problems or questions.