[Guide] Mergestructs, Setposition, Setrotation

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    To use this commands, open the console
    On a server, you might need to have the appropriate permission level

A. Initiate/finalize merge of main and child bases

1. mergestructs ID1 ID2
    Initiates the merge and aligns the ID2 building orthogonal to your main building

2. mergestructs ID1 ID2 -ex
    Finalizes the merge. Now both bases are counted as ONE base - with all consequences! (for example you do not need to have all your tech in one building, you can split up generator and tanks between the new child bases!)

(ID1 = Main; ID2 = child)

Between A1 and A2, you have some console commands to align/move your child and main base

B Placement commands

1. setrotation ID x,y,z
    Set the ABSOLUTE rotation/direction of your base, bases on the NUMMERIC values of a compass

Compass_Card.png

setrotation ID 0,360,0 will point your building towards N

2. setrotation ID y+-
    This will rotate your building relative to its current placement

setrotation ID y+90 will rotate your building 90° clockwise on the y-axis

3. setposition ID x,y,z
    This will move the ID to the position specifid. These are ABSOLUTE coordinates. If you want to know your coordinats, open the DI-window (open console > type in DI > find a new info- window on top of the screen.).
    Tip: If you want to teleport a building at a certain position, move your player there and note down the coordinates. Then use them with setposition.

setposition ID 100,100,100 moves the structure to exactly THIS position, be it over or underground.

4. setposition ID x+- / setposition ID y+- / setposition ID z+-
    This is again a relative positioning method based on the current position of the ID you want to move

setposition ID y+200 will move the structure 200m up in the air

C. Notes:

- Mergestructs only works in CREATIVE mode!
    - Mergestructs only works with Bases on planets (not in space)
    - Setrotation and Setposition also work in SURVIVAL!
    - setposition works with PLAYERS and all vessels as well!
    - known issue: if you initiated mergestructs and use setrotation, you will loose the orthogonal alignment. (will be looked into). Tip: use setrotation (absolute) and align your buildings before initiating mergestructs

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. Dinkelsen

Dinkelsen Captain

A few tips after merging a few structures:

- Set the rotation of your main structure to 0,0,0 This makes merging much easier
    - Switch Structural Integrity OFF. (si off)
    - SAVE YOUR GAME before executing the merge (-ex parameter) ALWAYS. TIPPLE ALWAYS.

Reason is, if you merge, you merge. There is no undoing and if the merge goes awry, you are stuck with the result. There is a stange bug that can happen if the child stuct is not exactly aligned to the main struct. (setting the rotation of the main to 0,0,0 does help, but not always...) The structures will merge, but all blocks of the child will be rotated individually by 90°. Looks kindy spacey, but is most definitly not what you wanted. Removing the structure block by block is a pain.

oojimaflip likes this.
  3. agal59

agal59 Lieutenant

I find these tools very useful. However, I'm puzzled why mergestructs is not available in Survival mode. Large structures are dicey when spawned in Survival, SI being the problem. Smaller pieces spawned into survival have no SI problems. I would then like to merge them. Right now in Survival I have to go into godmode and place blocks under my structure to bring things back into the green. Perhaps I'm not understanding SI mechanics?

4. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I was looking for a way to merge blueprints in Survival mode when I found this. Truly nice, but why is merging limited to Creative? It seems like a really nice way to bring in separate structures and merge them into a base. Like adding blueprints as you have the materials to build it.

5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Current implementation is a rough tool for creative mode. It needs to be cleaned up and balanced right outside of creative mode, because you guess it... it could wreck serious havok in MP games unchecked.

6. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

It would be neat to have several blueprints that you could slap down and create a base from them, like towers with guns, then a bunker, like Starcraft.
    I really hope to see blueprint merging in the future. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    SnowdogJJJ and Frigidman like this.
  7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Its how I did the various clusters of civil buildings for ningues. I have a bunch of 'singles' that I used mergestructs with to combine and organize, then get them all merged into one POI.

Its a neat concept, one I hope they develop the tools for further.

SnowdogJJJ likes this.
  8. Windamere

Windamere Ensign

9. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Did you rotate in the Z axis (roll)?
    If the answer is yes, then you did nothing wrong, it's a nasty bug I've encountered many times! My solution: stop all my projects that require that sort of merge, report the bug every major update, hope it eventually gets fixed. Not ideal.

You should post in the bug report section and attach all relevant screens and what-not.

SnowdogJJJ likes this.
  10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

When you did the rotate command, did you go beyond 0-360 in either direction? If the overall roll value ends up negative, OR above 360, 'very bad things' will happen for sure.

I usually have rotate success if I keep all xyz values within 0-360. Well, actually 0-359.

11. Windamere

Windamere Ensign

yes and yes to both...
    Ents 5(parent) 6(child)
    mergestructs 5 6
    setrotation 5 0,0,90
    setrotation 6 0,0,270
    setposition until they line up.
    mergestructs 5 6 -ex

the building is in proper place...just all the blocks or chunk rows are upside down.

12. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Roll values are absolute and therefore within range, that would seem to confirm my theory that mergestructs is broken where z axis rotations are used.
    I really hope they prioritize this fix, there are a few things that are influencing me into not playing at the moment. Needless to say, those things aren't the broken balance, the quality of the terrain textures or lens flares. There seems to be cautious similarities between Empyrion's development and the Clang-Infested-Mess that is Space Engineers in terms of half-implemented and/or broken mechanics.

13. Maloverci

Maloverci Commander

Mergestructs for CV would be nice :D

rainyday likes this.
  14. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

BTW, I came across an interesting problem. I was looking for a getRotation since DI doesn't show you.
    If you use the ents command, then every entity is listed including the position and the rotation so it's easy to move it 1 degree of rotation.
    If you're the owner of the server, this works in survival mode too. I love it. I can line up a base perfectly with the environment.

15. Rester Valentine

Rester Valentine Lieutenant

Odd thing here. Players on my server get a permission error when trying to use the "`" to open the console. Is there a setting in a yaml file I'm overlooking or what could be the cause?

16. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Yes, you have to set them to be an admin or a game master. You can do this in real time in the console.
    Open your console and type help. I don't remember the correct command but I think it's set something yourFriendsId Gamemaster and it saves it.

I'll look it up tonight.

17. Rester Valentine

So, if I do not want my players to have admin privvies they cannot set or rotate?

18. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

If you dont trust them to elevate their privs, then you certainly dont want to trust them using the set commands ;)

Rester Valentine likes this.
  19. Rester Valentine

It is less a matter of trust (though that is part of it with a public server) as it is about protocols.

20. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Ensign

I need help, spent days trying to find a way to do this. When I make a copy of a structure and have it facing the opposite direction of my main structure: setrotation 0,180,0 I have no problems merging them. But when I try to do a mirror image upside down: setrotation 0,0,180 it goes back to the original rotation when I try to merge...help please? how do I turn a structure upside down or even on its side and have it stay?