Hangar Doors more sizes please!!!

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Bollen, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Bollen

Bollen Captain

As always just suggesting, love the game and everything you give us, but please, please, please! Can we have more size hangar doors e.g. 4x4, 5x4, etc.

For example here:
    Hangar 5x3.png
    This design cannot work without a 5x4... The tank inside is just too high because of the height of the antenna, but the sizes of the hangar doors are also quite bizarre when considering the symmetry of the majority of the blocks...:(

Supay and Ian Einman like this.
  2. DeadliestIdiot

DeadliestIdiot Commander

It would be nice if we could build hangar doors with arbitrary dimensions. Not sure how difficult that would be though.

Bollen likes this.
  3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I had wanted them to have a different kind of chooser for these (along with ramps and shutters)... where you are presented with a min/max width/height ... then you simply punch in the two numbers you want... it would then pick the right block out of an internally large list of them.

Didn't fly.

Bollen likes this.
  4. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Well, it won't look as good, but you could always use a 5x5 shutter door, and inset the top of it into the ceiling. I can't argue with having more door sizes (both hangar and shutter), of course.

That's really too bad :-(.

5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Well, considering how many variations of the block they would have to code in, all those steps between the ones we got ..... it'd be a big atlas of blocks per kind... so, I don't blame them.

6. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Yeah I tried, but it needs a 5x4 (the upper edge is already stuck into the ceiling) because of the upper edge of the door, otherwise the whole ship would need to be wider, but it would be disproportionate... So I have three blocks for cockpit (2 cockpit seats separated by one block) and the 4 blocks outside for the thrusters. So 5 horizontal is perfect, but the thrusters are also 4 blocks high, so why then the hangar door is 3 blocks high??? The proportions of the blocks and the hangar doors don't seem mathematically right, especially if you consider that hangar doors use at least one block (or half a block) for the edge which you cannot use for access. The reason the ship can't be any bigger is that it wouldn't go through the max hangar doors for CV and Bases.

We don't really need infinite amounts, but at least populate the window with some more. I mean it's a huge window and we have how many options there, 6? Give us at least a couple of variations of each (so we can use them combined) and some bigger ones for bases...

I would also love a few more SV door options that match other block shapes, for side doors for example... The shutters are just so ugly and structurally weak...

7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Certainly, it would be nice if we could get hangar doors in parts (side and center) of various heights; then we could make arbitrarily wide compound doors, and it wouldn't be many more distinct items than we have now (granted, it'd be more devices, but it seems like an ok tradeoff).

Bollen and SGP Corp like this.
  8. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

When you set up motion sensors, there's a set of sliders in the control panel that determine LxWxH, and scales the sensor detection area accordingly. In a similar fashion, it should be entirely within Eleon's ability to use Unity's scaling functions to use a *single* hangar door, grant it slider functions, and allow a min/max range of height and length.

This would of course change the way the hangars work currently and (probably) break existing designs, but the tradeoff is a substantially greater amount of flexibility.
    -Accounting for the proper HP and weight of the door should be relatively simple as well, taking into account the scaled/slider values.
    -Also cuts down on the number of 'arbitrary' sizes in the device atlas, which @Frigidman brought up.

Supay, MontanaMike, Bollen and 2 others like this.
  9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

And, after all, the existing hangar doors (and shutter doors for that matter) are all scaled from the same model anyway.

Bollen, Sephrajin and Kieve like this.
  10. DeadliestIdiot

DeadliestIdiot Commander

The selection interface in creative mode would provide even better controls

11. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I usually use shutters instead of hangars for the smaller sizes, but they have the same problem of not enough sizes, so you have to use multiple ones and stick them together which doesn't look great.

The sizes I need always seem to be ones they don't have...

Supay and Bollen like this.
  12. Bollen

Bollen Captain

So true....:D! Not to mention that shutters have considerably less hit points...

13. Supay

Supay Captain

I am all for more things, however this would be really useful and needed. I started making a CV first time and learned about the hanger limits then. I have another CV I am going to start on in alpha 10 considering they got new blocks coming would love the hanger options too!

14. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Since I was asked to post it here as well…
    YES YES YES!!
    More AND Bigger Boarding ramps!

I'd like to have those new Boarding ramps as:
    Width / Length / Height (height is 50% 'fixed floor' & 50% 'offset' : Ready for entry)
    2 4 4
    3 6 4

If possible, a 'cornered' Boarding ramp would be awesome!
    Like what I tried with my Flatline Carrier, where i tried to combine the old with the new ramps, for a smoother/rounder Corner.

If you look Closer, you see that the new ramp would be 'exposed' with it's Opening, thus the old ramps, to match the slope blocks at the sides.
    View attachment 57785 View attachment 57786
    Something in the like of:
    View attachment 57787

Or if just the forcefield 'thing' could be move towards the sloped part of the ramp, we could build a 'cornered' ramp where HV and SV's could pass as well.

Because Right now, we cant even use one 'up-side-down' as the FF-parts come in the way and make a passing with HV/SV impossible.

Bollen, DeadliestIdiot and ravien_ff like this.