Help mining asteroids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wolfoot, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Wolfoot

Wolfoot Ensign

The short question : how can I mine asteroids, I only have a 'cannot mine here' message when trying to mine some with my drill (me or my drone)

The long story :
    - I left my first planet with a SV with a warp drive, I get some pentaxid from my moon or in POI.
    - My first jump let me with 40u.
    - I mine some rare ores and then I manage to build my first capital ship.
    - But I don't have strike force ready yet to get some pentaxid on POI. So I check the viciny and found a new asteroid field at 25u. I tried to get there with my SV but the jump is too far.
    - So I put all my pentaxid into my capital, pack my SV into and make my first jump.

- And now I can't manage to find pentaxid, and I don't have enouth for the travel back.... that's kind of loose...

Why can't I mine asteroids ? do I need CV mining lasers ?

I hopefully made a save backup before jumping, but that's quite a problem...

Germanicus likes this.
  2. You can only mine asteroids that have ore in them.
    CV drills aren't needed. You can mine them with hand drills as well.

The asteroids that don't have ore are fake and can't be mined.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  3. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@Wolfoot , (and @krazzykid2006 please correct me if I get this wrong) if I recall right I think Eleon set things up so any 'default' game shouldn't have 'playfields', like a planet & it's moon, without Pentaxid available.

You might have to go down onto a rough planet, or make multiple buys from an orbiting stations Traders, but there should be a way to get enough Pentaxid to get out of any place you jumped into. I think.

4. Wolfoot

Wolfoot Ensign

@krazzykid2006 I think that's it, is it possible than an entire belt doesn't have any ? (the belt we have to jump to, not around a planet)

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Yes, asteriods are usually nowhere near the belt anymore (in the random scenario anyways). I've seen them 10km+ away from the planet most of the time, in any direction.

The belt is usually 100% fake asteroids. Not always, but way more often than not.

The orbits that don't have a belt are even harder to find the ones with actual ore.

Oh, you aren't talking about around a planet?
    Those playfields are still the same. The majority will all be fake asteroids but there will be up to a few actual ones in there somewhere.
    The map will tell you which types are present. There is usually only one for each type listed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
  6. Wolfoot

Wolfoot Ensign

Thanks.
    I found a mine field with wrecked ship around my planet orbit, it's really hard to see, we sure lack some detectors...we can detect planets 20au but can't find something in the viciny... silly SF rules :D

The asteroid field I spoke about was like a planet, it's a warp target, and there is only asteroids, and some NPC transports, but friendly so I don't inspect them too much.

7. CrimsonJackel

CrimsonJackel Ensign

still not 100% sure on this, but I have noticed that the sensors on a CV seem to be more powerful at detecting things in space than other random SVs, even with a detector mounted to the top of the SV. I went into space and spent an hour circling the temperate planet I started in, trying to find the mining ship poi, but couldnt find it. Gave up and a few days later I happened to be out and about with my new CV and detected it within minutes of entering orbit with the CV.

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Detectors don't work in space. :(

9. ric7202

ric7202 Ensign

What do you mean "don´t work"? I just went up into space with my new CV, pinged my detector and instantly found some POI´s in my vicinity. It worked just fine. It detected things out to 24 km, inclusive asteroids. You just have to get close to the asteroids to identify them, like 2.6 km or so.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

That's a post from a year ago.
    Detectors back then were passive that would show a general location relative to the player on a 2D map, which didn't work in space.

ravien_ff likes this.