Here is my first base!

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by Apollonius, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

View attachment 1043
    It's not finished, but this is a pretty good beginning. Next to construct will be the part in the middle, running up the ridge. Eventually there will be buildings on the lefthand peak, and behind what's already there, to the extreme right. What do you think of it so far?

One thing I can say...I want triangular windows!!

HeadHunter likes this.
  2. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

3. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Commander

Remember to put in a landing pad for a small vessel - you don't want to have to climb up and down that mountain every time you fly somewhere.

Apollonius likes this.
  4. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

I was actually thinking about using that small platform in the lower left to make a landing pad, but those stairs... I still have to develop the upper right some more, so maybe I'll put it there, instead.

5. RockinSince87

RockinSince87 Lieutenant

First? Only first? Dang...

That looks really nice. Mountainside hanger?

Apollonius likes this.
  6. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

Thanks! I have placed other bases here and there, but this is the first one that I've actually done anything with. It took me forever to get a flat spot to put the base block on. I almost gave up...it was the hardest part of the whole thing! I've only got 2 more areas to develop, at the NE and NW corners of this view, then I'll move my efforts inside. I still don't know what's going to go where, but I know I'll need a generator/fuel tank area, kitchen, living areas, grow rooms, etc etc. Here is the base right now, after adding a LOT at the upper righthand corner...just a little bit left to go over there!
    View attachment 1147

RockinSince87 and HeadHunter like this.
  7. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

Almost done with the basic structure! I just have to finish the acropolis (the highest point). and a little in the back, and then I can move my efforts inside the building! I really haven't done anything inside at all yet, other than clean it up, and organize the basic layout. Nothing has been placed indoors. Oh, I'm also starting a new city-base down in the valley. It will eventually consist of a grid-based road system, and many towering buildings. :) It'll look cool from up here, but it won't just be for looks...you'll be able to explore every building completely.

View attachment 1221
    Wow...what's going to happen to this place when the Alpha comes out? I fear the worst...

8. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

Major update, though the original base is still not 100% complete. I got distracted by the new base in the valley, as you can see. It has taken me so many hours, and tons of work, but it's the beginning of an entire city, and nowhere near either the vertical or horizontal limits! I am officially addicted. :-/
    View attachment 1397
    And here's a detail of the city... View attachment 1398
    I still have to pave a ton of city blocks before I can build more buildings, or maybe I should just pave them when I'm ready to build on them? Nah, I like starting from a clean, complete slate. That first building was just an experiment, but I'm glad I went ahead and did it, because I learned a lot. Now I need to go back through 20 floors and add lights and furniture...and that's just for the one building. I won't even finish this before the alpha comes out, but I'm having so much fun...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Flip and HeadHunter like this.
  9. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Looks more like you started terraforming Omicron :D

Apollonius likes this.
  10. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

Well it covers a lot of area, but I really didn't have to drill, fill, or flatten very much, except for in a few parts of the mountain base. I really wanted to try and incorporate the natural landscape as much as possible, without altering it too much. I am going to have to do a lot more ground-moving though, if I want to get that gigantic dirt pile off of the middle of the city, for instance. :p

11. Flip

Flip Captain

Ill be very interested to see how this turns out. Much coolness.

Apollonius likes this.
  12. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

Thank you! Every time I try to work on it though, I just kinda lock up. I'll never finish it before the alpha, and once that happens, I doubt this mountain will still exist, let alone the valley underneath it. I wish this tiny dwarf planet could still exist in the game somehow, but "so I can keep my bases on it" doesn't really sound like a very good rationale for doing that. :(

Part of me just wants to play offline until I'm done with these bases, but I imagine I'm not going to want to wipe them even then, after putting so much work into them. I keep backing up my save data, but it's the main engine that I fear will ruin my work one day. I don't want to have to choose between updating the program, or losing my work.

I've spent over 100 hours so far working on these, and placed over 5000 blocks, and that is JUST cubic blocks in black and grey, and flat (not slanted) windows, not any of the others because I count them when I restock them. I estimate this taking at least 15-20,000 more blocks before it's done.

I would love it if there was a way to maintain these into newer iterations of the program, if I knew that was possible I would resume work on this tonight.

I know I can save these as blueprints, but they won't work on any other terrains.

13. Flip

Flip Captain

This was a reply directly from Eleon Games. You should be able to continue your game from where you left off.

Apollonius and HeadHunter like this.
  14. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

But won't I still be able to go to those other places and explore them, since they were generated with the same seed? If there is an actual galaxy to explore eventually, then I can be kept busy for quite a while before I would want to start from a new seed, and reset the realm. If that is true, then that makes me happy. I just hope that resizing the planets and rendering the poles more accurately won't alter the terrains at the equator enough to make too much of a difference in these bases.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  15. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

I've just gotten confirmation from the devs that, in spite of their efforts and desire to maintain saves through all the updates, my particular case is special, in that my blueprints rely very heavily on a certain terrain configuration...and that terrain is going to change eventually, when the planet textures are rendered in true equirectangular format. Then, even with the same seed value, the mountain and valley in these pictures will not exist. Whelp! Nothing else to do but get over it! At first I was going to stop working on these bases completely, and just start building again when it was "safer" to do so, but now I'm just building because it's fun. I'm learning a lot in the process, and I'm not so precious about it any more. I'm just going to work on these until the alpha comes out, and then hopefully I'll be able to import the blueprints somewhere...if not, then I'll start again! This is now sitting at about 12,000 blocks, with completed mountain base (at least the outside, and the structure inside), and 2 skyscrapers in the city base, which is now almost totally paved!
    View attachment 1985

16. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

OMFG, triangular windows. (@_@)

...Sorry, just downloaded the newest beta. I had stopped working on my bases in creative mode because I didn't want to lose my work. I should have made sure that that situation had changed before I made new bases, but too late. I've already made a set of ruins, a huge new sprawling home base complex with thousands of blocks, two greek-style temples, and a pyramid.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  17. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

I never could figure out what I was doing wrong before in v2.2, but I finally figured out how to save a base as a blueprint. On a whim I looked on my laptop and found not only a pre-alpha release of Empyrion from when I ran steam from that, but my latest save data from Omicron. I finally got the mountain base and city base saved as blueprints! I can't even tell you what a relief that was. After trying to place some 7.0 blueprints in 6.7 and getting errors, I was a bit worried going from 2.2 to 6.7. I was particularly worried about the black steel blocks in the city base, as they didn't exist any more in the new game. They were represented as regular steel blocks, painted black! Brilliant!

I had awful luck placing them, even finding places to place them, but when I did I got NO reported errors! I actually went back and got 7.0 again, so that I could place bases more easily. I wish you could rotate them, and move them in all dimensions, not just up and down with the page-up and page-down keys, but it's still so much easier to place spawned blueprints now.

[​IMG]
    It looks like the ruins of a city, after some kind of natural disaster like a mudslide, or volcanic eruption. :p I should shoot out some of the windows, and add other damage to the buildings! I'm still just so excited that I could not only retrieve these blueprints, but load them into both 6.7 and 7.0! Now I can add truly transparent windows! I can also do that with my mountain base, but...

[​IMG]
    LOL! At no point does that base come in contact with the ground, at all. I'm increasingly amazed and perplexed by the places that it will allow me to place things, versus the areas which will not allow spawning of these bases. I seriously searched Omicron for over an hour, looking for a flat place to put the city base, only to finally find one in an extremely hilly area? I'm not quite sure how that works. I had better luck placing that base and this one too, after updating.

[​IMG]

Still not ideal, but with a little drilling and filling, it would work just fine, I think!

I still can't believe I have all of my bases saved, and they all work when I spawn them. That's such a relief!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  18. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

This is the last time I'll keep bumping this with updates, but I wanted to say that after looking on the new Omicron for hours, for good places to drop these two oldschool Omicron bases, I finally gave up and went to the new Akua. It was still difficult to place these due to their size and awkward shape, but I had much better luck placing them when I left Omicron.
    [​IMG]

I have a lot of work to do now to integrate that blueprint into the new terrain, but it looks much better than on the new Omicron. Plus that shorter building is actually a glass tower which is built to go over water. I couldn't be happier, really! Here's the mountain base in a better location than my previous attempt at spawning it. I still had trouble with entire sections being unsupported, leading to catastrophic failure when I try to replace any one part, or add anything to the structure at all trying to support it. I had to come up from underneath the ground and meet important points with this support network underneath. It took forever, but now this updated blueprint can be placed a lot more places. With a little more tweaking I might actually get it to where it's spawn-able on flat ground. In any case it's much easier to place it in mountainous regions now, where it's designed to be. I can either leave it like it is, or build the ground up around the support pillars to make it meet the bottoms of the rooms with the 'fill' tool on the drill.
    [​IMG]

I'm totally excited that I can work on these bases again in a new version, and update them! Nowhere is that update more apparent than in the windows. I built these on version 2.2, and at that time there were only armored, shuttered windows. Also, there were NO triangular windows, so I had to use concrete blocks just to keep the rain from coming in. I'm currently in the process of updating all of the windows. It's a slow, tedious process, but it's paying off with improved interior views like this:
    [​IMG]

It's not spectacular or anything, it's just SO MUCH of an improvement from what it was before, with its shuttered windows, and pyramid-shaped cement blocks sticking out into the rooms! Now I can finally present these bases the way I wanted to, 2 years ago.

There are those who will ask me why I'm so dead set on preserving these bases, when I could have fun making entirely new ones that mingle with the landscape in more natural ways, which is what I live for. Especially in light of the practice that I've gotten under my belt, and the new improvements in the software, it's a fair question. First of all, I just wanted to work on these bases again, and update them with new color options, new texture options, better windows, etc. Second, I wanted to try and experiment with saving them as blueprints, and spawning them in newer iterations of the game. Thirdly, I have spent weeks working on these bases, and wanted to be able to not have to start over again, especially on a city base. That one has 12,000 blocks in it, currently.

And now I don't have to! Yay! Not only that, but I no longer worry so much about changes to terrains on planets. Those are inevitable, and now I don't fear them! I only fear blueprints becoming obsolete, or lacking the ability to update them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017