Hidden turrets auto activation.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silwer, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Silwer

Silwer Lieutenant

From what I can find/see the hidden turrets can only pop out when turrets are activated manually.
    Do I have it wrong or is there a way to have them work on auto ?
    Do we need to shut down all the turrets/weapons if we just want the retractable ones to retract ?
    Am I missing the point with retractable turrets, that they are only for the looks or making the craft smaller when landing/docking ?
    Thank you in advance for any feedback/tips you can give me.

2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Retractable weapons simply pop out when switched on, and retract when switched off. At present, it's mostly cosmetic (though retractable weapons do have a little more HP when retracted). There is no auto-activation (and probably won't be until we have a proper sensor system and a way to designate specific targets).

Silwer likes this.
  3. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

My opinion, they should activate automatically if you're trying to fire them.

4. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Captain

I agree on manual weapons.

How about turrets on CVs and HVs?
    Activate upon beeing fired on oneself?

Hmm sounds practical… :)

Silwer likes this.
  5. RedBaron97

RedBaron97 Commander

It´s also annoying that turrets stay active when you enter (and then leave) them. I just placed a wallmounted sentry, to get rid of predators nearby (not that those turrets would hit anything o_O) and after it burned through all my ammo I deactivated it and than took manual control, to see how much ammo is left in the turret and to kill the creature myself, but after I got out I started firing again and wasted the last ammo. So yeah, could you make it so turrets will be automaticly disabled after you leave them?

Silwer likes this.
  6. T431

T431 Captain

Maybe a mode where the turrets deploy when they detect an enemy to attack, and they retract when there's no target. And have mounted weapons deploy when they're selected by the pilot.

Silwer likes this.
  7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Isn't that usually the behavior you'd want, though? Either shut down the turret or turn off all target selection if you don't want it to operate automatically. It would be incredibly frustrating to have to set a turret back to auto mode every time you took control of it.

Silwer likes this.
  8. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

When you take manual control of the turret it is activated again. How else would you be able to manually control it if it didn't turn back on? Lol.

Silwer likes this.
  9. RedBaron97

RedBaron97 Commander

No I mean that if it was deactivated it gets deactivated again when you leave them. You see, I don't want to switch the targeting behavior every time I want it to operate on auto. I just want to turn it on and it fires on everything in range. But I also want to take controll of it sometimes, but as soon as I leave it it starts firing on it's own. So, theoraticly, I have to turn off the target selection, then enter the turret, then leave it, deactivate it and then turn the selection on again.

Silwer likes this.
  10. RedBaron97

RedBaron97 Commander

Also, is there a way to pre-set the targeting options on turrets? Like when you place them they already have the targeting options you want? If not, could you remove predators from standart targeting? It is a bit anoying that your turret always starts firing as soon as you place it.

Silwer likes this.
  11. Silwer

Silwer Lieutenant

I was killed in just such a move. The predator though far behind me was in range of the turret. :rolleyes:

12. Ace Warbringer

happened to me but i managed to move out of the way. Had a lucky break with some heavy armor early loot drop. Still damn near killed me.

13. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Or perhaps turrets simply default to off when placed? That would be a common-sense safety protocol, I would think.

Apparently turrets also need to be taught how to check their fire when friendlies are in line to the target. Makes you wonder/worry about the turret AI in-universe . . .

Frigidman likes this.
  14. Ace Warbringer

now where's the fun in not knowing if you're going to be staring down a turret barrel just after you place it? ;P

15. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

My thoughts...

- If the turret is currently deactivated, and I take control: It should activate while I am in control. Then if I let go of control, it should go BACK to deactivated mode.

- If a turret is already activated, and I take control: It should stay activated when I let go of control, and it goes back to automatic mode.

- If the turret is being placed: It either needs a delay timer (10 seconds?) before self activation, OR it needs to be deactivated on placement.

- (retractable only) If power is turned off to the station or vessel: The turret should retract as a normal mode of operation.

- (retractable only) If power is CUT (exploding generator etc) on the station or vessel: The turret should remain exposed, since it had no signal to close.

16. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Reducing max-speed a bit (lets say 5%) when the turret is deployed would make a good gameplay reason to retract them.

The player can choose to have them deployed (instant use) or retract them manually (a bit more cruise speed).

This logic could be extended to all other types of offensive weapons (cruise mode, active mode),
    to not disadvantage retractable turrets specifically. It would add to the immersion of managing a vehicle actively depending on the situation.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  17. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

If the goal is to add air resistance for deployed weapons, then this isn't really the best way to do it. Actual air resistance can be overcome by sufficient thrust; a flat percentage max speed reduction can't. Also, if the weapon isn't directly in the airstream (e.g on the front or side where it's not blocked by blocks in front of it), it shouldn't matter if it's retracted or not. So, I'd be very much in favor of giving deployed weapons a much higher coefficient of drag than when retracted, but I'm very much against modifying the max speed directly.

18. Damocles

Damocles Captain

My idea is not specifically for the turrets, but adding a general new dimension in the game-mechanic of ships. Such that a ship it either in "cruise" or in "combat" mode.
    The player should be able to switch easily between them with a keystroke.
    Just as an aircraft pilot deploys and retracts the gears and flaps after takeoff and on landing preparations.

The time delay to change modes would play a role, when the player expects to engage into combat, here its better to already be in combat mode.
    To travel longer distances the player will naturally switch into cruise mode.
    There needs to be some upside to having the weapons not ready, hence the idea with a higher max speed. (it should not be agility, as thats mostly needed in combat, it could be energy consumption, but that is hard to balance right).

The retractable turrets (as a visual element) would perfectly fit into that mechanic.

In technobabble reasoning: the powered off weapons allow a higher thruster output.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Frigidman likes this.
  19. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Much like in Elite Dangerous where you have to retract your weapons to go faster (super cruise or otherwise). Once deployed, you are in combat mode and the ship behaves much more towards maneuverability, than just raw speed.

So I like the idea for a 'gameplay' standpoint... not 'realism'.

Damocles likes this.
  20. Damocles

Damocles Captain

I could even imagine some other visible elements to change depending on the mode, such as certain wingtips extending / flapping up, and decorative lights changing from blue to red / turing on in combat mode.
    -> Making the ship look more scary.