[HINT] "Copyright" of Workshop Blueprints

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Dead8Eye, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead8Eye

Dead8Eye Captain

Note:
    - The inital creator of a blueprint is always visible from the STATISTIC screen.
    - This info can not be removed by copying or changing and reuploading.

----------------------------------------

Hey Guys!

since the integration of the workshop, the number of uploaded builds is growing. So does the quality! We, as testes and the supporter-team, are very proud of our creative community and happy about the endless stream of community content!

But, at the moment, we are receiving more and more reports, that blueprints are downloaded, renamed or changed and uploaded again - without permission of the blueprint creator.

Although there is no restriction in doing so, this is very bad and nasty behavior.

In our opinion, this is not ok, so i wrote this post for ALL workshop users and blueprint creators.

1. Please be fair and at least leave a note for the blueprint creator on his workshop page, that YOU've made changes to his design and will upload it again!

2. Talk to the creators in advance and maybe they will make the changes you want and give you credit for this.

3. If you are changing a blueprint and reupload it, link to the original blueprint and add the proper credits for the initial creator!

Please apply to these rules, as, up to know, we need to and will delete or block re-uploaded blueprints on request of the original creator.

On a special note:
    Make use of the LIKE button on the workshop pages.

I've taken a look and noticed, that many creators have thousands of downloads but only 4 or 5 ,,likes". So if you find the blueprint is great, than please like it!

This will help the creator and and everyon else, as you will get to see more of them or even see some of the community builds integrated in future versions of the game!

Finally: being a creator myself and somehow speaking on behalf of other creators, "we" would be very happy, if all users would be fair to others and give them a REAL feedback with comments or likes ect...
    20160320080432_1.jpg
    Thanks! And thanks for supporting and playing Empyrion! :)

lg,
    Dead8Eye -
    intern Testing- and Supporting Group / POI Design lead

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2017
    Lohke, WolfEyes, Theurgist and 25 others like this.
  2. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

Maybe your friends the devs could make a non distructive core you can only one time put your name in it. As a tier two core.

3. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Fully agreed! Good Community Spirit FTW!

Nookriot, FiveHorse and Badomen like this.
  4. groo101

groo101 Commander

i have modded blueprints, but never reuploaded them. also, if you see things wrong w/ blueprints, and have advice for the creator, leave it in a positive way. not 'i had to tear apart half the vessel to find the fuel tank' but 'covering the fuel tank with an automatic door makes it easier to find and still protects it.' , it sounds better and helps the creator as well.both convey the fact the design is not user friendly, but one is more friendly.

My apology to the person i quoted in the example above, i forget whih community member it was, I meant no disrespect to you, just used an example i was a part of.

5. Dead8Eye

Dead8Eye Captain

hi! :)

the first step, if you make changes on a WS blueprint is, to contact the real blueprint creator about it. speak with them and i don´t think that he say ,,no,, because the modding of his blueprint. if you will reupload it to the workshop, please be so fair and take a link in the description to the original site, where you get it. this will be ,,only,, 1 or 2 lines of text and i think this is a good opinion of both :D.

i hope my post will help you all to manage the workshop as a community. ;) fairness is a good way.

lg,
    Dead8Eye

6. =TCR= Big_Red

Not going to happen. Many people just don't care or are just to lazy in RL.

Edit: BTW I downloaded in game through the factory the tier one CV. was really disappointed it didn't have a Warp drive. The descriptions for those blueprints are nonexistent.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Isaac Dark and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

** JUST a suggestion to help with copyrighting issues of blueprints **

Consider a method of 'meta tagging' a ship/base (something the devs would need to code in to auto-handle). Its not a block that exists or item a user has to deal with... but rather a text detail that will always be with that build so long as one block remains of that ship/base. Probably would need to encode it a bit so its not just easily edited in a text editor too =p

This information could be present in the control panel details of the ship/base you open. Something along the lines of "Creator: Mr Briggs". Only shows up if the creator is not "You" or the Eleon developers (no need to show that info if the devs put the ship in the game) ;)

It would be an easy way to see that 'hmm, this ship was originally created by Mr Briggs...'

One could even go so far as having a meta tag of 'Last Modified By: Joe Dinky" ...

These would simply be text values in the blueprint ship/base. They would not need physical graphical items, or physics, or logic controls other than displaying the text somewhere (like the control panel overall details area).

Maris, Pyston, Savinwraith and 6 others like this.
  8. Tyrax Lightning

Stock stuff? Eww! Home Made FTW! :p

I like this idea! To further add to it, Eleon could Tag stuff they deploy with the Name of the person that Submitted the Original Version to them in the appropriate Stuff Submission Thread as a form of Credit. I'd be honored to find MY Name on a Eleon Item they accepted & Implemented, then acknowledged me on! ^_^

... Now that I think about it, after Alpha, I oughta Load those BPs into my Creative Mode, Update them with the new Blocks & such, maybe Update them with new Paint Jobs, then re-submit them... *Makes Mental Note in head*

Nookriot, Frigidman and groo101 like this.
  9. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I give anyone and everyone permission to modify any of my builds on the workshop, I simply have other things in life I care more about and it doesnt bother me at all if people use something I originally created.
    Sure it would be nice to be credited the original build, but if the person cant be bothered do that, its just a reflection on there character not mine, so it bothers me not.
    Im just wrapped that Empyrion got a proper workshop system, its a place where the game can attract more new players, the developers need a pat on the back for giving the game workshop capabilities.

I tell my little girls who like to play and build in Empyrion [ MCer usually ] dont put it on workshop if you dont want others to change it. Ones 8 and ones 12...

10. groo101

groo101 Commander

smart, i hope they listen.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  11. Crackadamus

Crackadamus Lieutenant

JayStrider, Nick and eninrebmun like this.
  12. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

hahahahaha ya funny butt head, nice find or should I say memory !

13. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I'm sorry I really don't understand this. Why would people upload their designs if not for others to use or be inspired by? If I really like a guy's basic chassis and I use it as part of my vehicle what is the big the deal?

I seriously have to have a "designed by whiningdesigner52" sticker on my vehicle? It's not like money is involved here. Even if I upload it as my own design (which it is, it's just using a piece of another design but the overall design is still mine) so what? Yeah it's a jerk move but why waste time and energy on this?

The point of copyright is to make sure that nobody can SELL your work as their own. When it comes to USING someone's work for your own benefit and development that falls under creative commons.

Ugh this community.. Why do people obsess over stuff like this!? How many tearful emails must the development community of this game have had to read for this post to materialize?

I guess I should shut up. People are already making my point better than I can anyway. GG piddlefoot.

JayStrider, Isaac Dark and _Vyrus_ like this.
  14. Tina Pedersen

Tina Pedersen Captain

Hmmm..... not sure, adding "copyright" is the right way to go.
    We ALL, use allready copyrighted tools and mechanics, to make our designs :-/

Sure, it would be nice if people would tell, if they changed, or got massively inspired, by someone elses work, and told people where to find that awesome thing. But, shouldnt really be a requirement :-/'

Thing is, the internet, is THE most pro at justice. Simply because, if you copy something, someone, will notice and compare dates for upload, determining who, had the original idea o_O ... and, we all know, how much flame, people like that can end up taking :S

Also, what if 2 or more people, get the same design idea o_O

As for liking stuff, and comment in creative ways... YES PLEASE! :S ...
    That is one thing, i really miss.... people making serious comments to the stuff we build and share, telling wether it is a machine of perfection, or fail, and why it is one of those ofc.... so, we can improve on the next thing we come up with o.o

Personally....
    I design to inspire, that´s it .... My exterior skills, are Skittlez LOL, but, i think im good at finding some neat solutions in aesthetic area, that people can then grab and use, and make the overall game, that much more pleasing to play for others :)

Badomen and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. =TCR= Big_Red

BTW the tier2 CV will do flips as soon as you try flying it. No other BP'S have done this before. Tested in creative.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  16. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Good read Dead8eye!

This issue happened with me to one of my very early pre-alpha builds, where I was browsing the workshop and stumbled across my same SV, with a different cockpit section added on. I didn't really care since it was an older build...but I do take a LITTLE pride in what I build and upload. I understand its public, so its 'fair game' for somebody to just take a BP and make it their own, but like you said, give the original creator some credit if you 'gank' their design like that!

17. medicineman

medicineman Captain

And if people don't we should probably come up with some way to punish them right? Probably it should involve napalm huh?

18. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Yes napalm...lots of napalm. Or they can just fly around and shoot all of the eggplants, screwing us over even more.

19. Tyrax Lightning

No, not Napalm peoples, that could get all over the Forum & become a Flame War from Hell. These are the best Forums ever, let's keep it that way.

Instead, how about we pity these poor sorry sods who suck too much to make anything good, not even simply good, & have to resort to Stealing cause they suck that much, even though making at least a simply good thing is real easy with a little effort... ya peeps that liked my Pre-Alpha "Tyrax Starter HV" especially know what i'm talking about I bet, it was literally my first Survival Mode Build I ever did. Trust me, Pity can be quite acidic & corrosive to Pride & Ego. ;) (Which is oftentimes one of the things Peeps like this seek through their actions, Pride & Ego building off their Thievery impostering as Achievement.)

(Fire can be a useful Element, but no single Attack Type can solve everything. Don't underestimate the usefulness of Acid.)

Waywarden and Tina Pedersen like this.
  20. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Indeed, Acid has many useful and... mind-opening uses ;)

Edit: I guess I should express an opinion for the subject at hand, too...

The way I see it, if you release a creation on the Workshop, you are giving people permission to not only use the vessel, but to modify it as they please.

The trouble comes in when they make a slight change then claim it's an original design. These are the people I feel sad for. Regardless...

One thing we should all keep in mind is that this is a game. Unless you work for Eleon, you're not making any money off of it anyway, so what's the big deal?

Personally if I saw someone with a modified version of my ship claiming it was theirs, I'd probably be more amused than anything. They say, after all, that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. And if they're parading the ship around, saying how cool they are for making it? I probably wouldn't care, but assuming I did, I'd just present information that proves I built/designed the vessel first.

Honestly, though, I'd be more proud that people enjoy my ship that much than want to punish them. After all... it's a game.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.