Fixed Hole on planet's surface

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by Myrmidon, May 26, 2022.

1. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: 3823
    Mode:SP
    Mode:Survival

SEED-ID: 279325

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: NO

Reproducibility: Happened once
    Severity: Major

Type: Hole on playfield

Summary: A hole was created on planet's surface and fall twice into it and a 3rd for demonstration screen capture purposes as shown in the console on the video bellow.

Description: The hole was randomly "generated" If one loads the save game , link provided bellow, the hole is gone.

Steps to Reproduce: Can not. It is random.
    1)
    2)
    3)

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Save files.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Pach likes this.
  2. basingleton

basingleton Commander

I can confirm I had this hole as well. New Save on Exp II. It is random, but it has not been an issue in the late 1.7.x versions so there might be a regression.

Myrmidon likes this.
  3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Do you remember what you were doing before you was in this location ?
    Did you leave that CV there then move away to another location on the planet then return to it some time later ?

Pach likes this.
  4. basingleton

basingleton Commander

Build: 1.8 3823
    Mode: Survival, SP

SERVER NAME: N/A
    SEED-ID: 490706 Skillon

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: N/A

Reproducibility: Random
    Severity: Minor

Actually this might help: I had just started a new save game.. I gathered some resources in the landing area (mine was the Desert planet starter on Exp II).. then I traveled to a POI 'Opportunity' to turn it into a temporary home. I don't think I played more than 1-2 hours before i saw the hole, it was about ~100-300 (?) meters from the opportunity and it appeared in the side of a steep slope.. I just remember thinking, 'oh no, not the holes in the ground again'.

Ships: I had not built any ships yet at all, not even a basic HV, so it's probably a bug completely unrelated to HV/SV/CV. First thing I owned was the BA Opportunity POI.

Save Game: I have my save game zipped and left my character looking directly where the hole was. Two things though:
    A) Upon starting the save game back up again, of course, the hole was gone, and I have not seen it again and..
    B) I've only been playing this save for 2 days, and the zip says 5.5 MB, and won't upload due to size. Not sure how to get it to you.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  5. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

The movement I was doing was from the CV towards the generators in the water located close to the CV, in order to check their status. Nothing else. I encountered the hole when I returned back from them to the CV in order to enter her from the boarding ramp bellow front.

Not sure if it matters : I noticed that the CV's front area is located over water. Must be the edge of the nearby water area. I can see the waves through the grass (water settings set to medium). This is where the holes appeared.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  6. megs

megs Lieutenant

experienced same problem with 1.7 version. it has seems to be a bad calculation of boolean operation between ground and object on it. The hole was just in frontier of ground and object. In other times i view ground plants taking another surface nurbs base than the visible grounds it was strange. Another time saw (6) a hole in a rectangular zone ( maybe a problematic POI spawn). But at this time none of this in 1.8 experimental,
    absence of proof is not proof of non-existence.

7. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    A possible fix for this will be available in a future release.
    We managed to find a use case which gave us a way to trigger what looks to be the same as shown in the original post & have a fix done in our internal builds which will make it to the public branch in a future release.

ravien_ff, Myrmidon and Slam Jones like this.