How can the emptiness be fixed?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mortlath, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mortlath

Mortlath Lieutenant

I like large bases and CVs, but without crew, all the living spaces feel empty and without purpose. One can't even really use one's own bed, but there's no point in making multiple rooms if no one can use them.

I know that POIs can have NPCs added, but when building my own structures, it would be nice to have some way to populate them.

Minecraft has the same problem; you can't really create a functional town, only an empty one.

2. michaelhartman89

Employer/Employment opportunites:
    - Class system or Job opportunities: This game needs a wild frontier as well as a civilized society with available roles to pick: trader, soldier, explorer or are you a nomad, surviving on a cold, icy barren world living off the land.

- Hiring mercs? Working for farmers, security, government? Employing, befriending, and enslaving NPC's.

- Cooperation with the local populous, earning respect or rapport though our actions. Maybe earning their trust leads to bigger, better missions or positions in their faction. Most notably, earning the trust of pirates through illegal smuggling and raiding supply lines

- NPC's working for the player can gain xp from their tasks and rank up as well. This would give them bonus stats in whatever they are doing which would allow them to do/take more damage in melee, harvest more goods, persuade others, mine faster.

Biotic/Bionic Upgrades/ Neural Implants

- get away from the level system and go with a skill based system where we get new abilities or unlock bionic upgrades for our character.

- upgrades: stealth, tazer(stun charge), lightening, flamethrower, grenades, wrist rockets, grappler,
    remote explosives, power gauntlets, plasma saber or energy sword

Merge Blocks
    - Merge block feature to unify all blocks to one structure for creation of Non-POI city structures such as sky scrapers, markets, bazaars, cantinas, sky walkways, tram tunnels etc. to reduce the demand of rendering all individual voxels at once.

- As far as BA, CV, HV and SV's go, I would rather them be segmented. maybe group certain sections differently such as: engine room, warp room, hangar bay, and let the system have set parameters where is deals out specific hp for each structure incorporated in each segment. Then when that area is destroyed, everything in there is damaged. Each segment of the hull could display a percentage of integrity on the enemies screen, that way they can see what damage is being dealt.

- have each segment when destroyed un-merge those blocks and let them be destroyed. So if my engine bay is at critical health, the voxels there un merge and each voxel there has 10% hp. So if the other player keeps hitting my engine bay, he starts destroying the blocks and devices in that section of the ship.

http://empyriononline.com/threads/mega-blocks-made-by-players.12439/

Terrain Editor Options (Creative Map Editor - instead of YAML)
    - tools to copy, paste, cut, dig, fill, add bodies of water/ rivers, sharpen terrain features, raise, lower, add layers for caverns or raise terrain to make floating terrain like avatar.

- Make a system to make a random terrain and then let the user edit it and make it their own. Also add a easy system to add poi's, animals, npc's, quest items, ships, etc

(started implementing in 6.0)

- Multiple Biome Planets

- Add roads and street signs

- prefab tram ways and rails.

- add deep caverns, plateaus and steep cliffs to our maps
    (2/3 complete with update 7.0)

- add prefab structures added by the devs from either the workshop or as 3d models to design cities

- add and tweak size of vegetation. For those of us who desire to play in a playfield that resembles Kashyyk.

Tunneling Feature
    - Tunneling system, maybe an added feature for tunneling through mountains or underground. This could use snap mechanics ( think subnautica)

Decorations
    - Park benches, street lights and other decorations for use in creating a cityscape.

- Adjustible windows with switch to open close blinds

- LCD screens have the ability to have multiple texts or slide shows.

- a way to record in game footage or take photos and play them on LCD screens

- exterior cameras or security cams with ability to display live footage on lcd or access with p menu on "Registry". This way we can check in on our pvp bases.

In-game art
    - Ability to create signs or post jpeg photos to devices to replace textures. Also the ability to upload gif files to lcd screens to add to the immersion of the game.

Npc's
    - NPC'S that are walking around and interact with each other and not just standing there
    (half way there in 6.6)

- NPC's performing work tasks; maybe mechanics, janitors, naval officers, cooks, police officers, homeless.

-NPC's in formal wear, work clothes, rags, tactical gear. We need a large variety of different models.

- Scripted conversations for most NPC's, maybe some stories for some or just a few comments on the weather. It would be nice to be able to hear about political and historical events. What is the current state of the galactic empire if there is one?

- Variety of various Character models, and maybe quite a few that raise some eyebrows.

- If we have traders and trade stations, then where are the other local trade ships. Maybe they could be static and invulnerable to the player, but it would be nice for them at least to be there.

- An active, galactic law enforcement branch or faction, please refrain from making it all droids. This approach is overused in these type of games.

- Major NPC warring factions. Maybe one that is fighting the surge of Drone Installations that could pay us for eradicating drones and Zirax bases.

- Families, friends and coworkers; visible relationships between NPC's that would flesh out the realism aspect.

- Cities, air traffic, rail and tram systems, space elevators, Trade routes, ship yards, research stations, and gas & asteroid mining rigs, run by NPC operators. Cantinas with dancera, alien music and intercoms with alien chatter

- Giving them work orders through easy in-game scripting engine. NPC Character: walk to here, pick up item , put item in box, refill generator when empty. Give us an easy point and click command system to control friendly units like the triggers.

- More NPC's in general, going places, and just living their lives on some planets. Patrols of LEO's, Air Taxi's, larger settlements.

- Political system and government in place. Perhaps some messages, audio clips or something of that sort.
    - large space battles between npc factions.

- Reputation with Npc's, I would love to be able to build some rapport with these cultures and see them settling in my area to build a new community.
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/the-future-of-npc-factions.11007/
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/npc-companions.10025/#post-103098

http://empyriononline.com/threads/a-couple-of-thoughts-about-exploration-and-npcs.8866/#post-90684

Story/Lore
    - storyline or deep lore, cutscenes, end game material

- creating a world filled to the brim with civilizations ranging from space faring, to modern society, all the way to stone age.

New Environments, Biomes and Geography
    - Dungeons and Caverns

- Cave systems with crystals and stalagtites

- Metropolitan areas, large settlements

- Deep ocean trenches, underwater caves planets like Naboo with the ability to build underwater settlements and cities like the Gungan city.

- space stations and settlements with working bars and cantinas, alien music and intercoms, npc's that walk around and perform daily tasks. I just want to feel more immersed in the environment around me like I was in Mass Effect.

Trees

- I would love to see mineable trees the size of Redwoods or larger like on Kashyyk that we can burrow into and build homes in like Asteroids.

- This would allow the players to create remakes of Endor or Kashyyk in Empyrion fashion.

- allow players to string up rickety bridges that use snap mechanics to connect with other trees.

Asteroids

-Make all asteroids mineable. They dont have to give anything in return or just give a new element, Carbon.

- this way plenty of people can have asteroid bases
    Enemies
    - Giant creatures. Boss-size dinosaurs and sea creatures that can destroy trees and bases.

- More Frigates and Freighters to prey upon

- Carrier fleet of Zirax

- More Enemy factions with ships, drop ships, ground troops, rovers, foot patrols and raiding parties

Super weapons
    - new artillery and upper atmosphere bombs w/ bombsight to snipe POI's in late game

Economy
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/steps-to-building-an-in-game-economy.12323/#post-145506

More Injuries
    - Perhaps just minimal at first, such as broken legs and arms, wounds, concussions, paralysis. (added in 6.0)

- option to upgrade your bot to treat your character

-Hard landings, falls maybe falling blocks or structural integrity issues cause injuries

(added in 6.0)
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/injuries.10159/#post-105747

Harvesting and Farming
    - Raising Lizard mules for milk and food, and maybe taming beasts

- Harvesting my crops. I want to build a combine and be able to harvest them using the hv's harvester. This would also be useful to harvest plants in the wild as well

Weapon Racks
    - small arms lockers or peg board/ shadowed boards to put weapons up.
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/small-arms-lockers.10048/

Late Game Material
    - This game should be the story of your character going from rags to riches and becoming the manager of a major Mining Corp, Pirate faction, private security agency, ship dealership, etc.

- This is the point the player should be hiring npc's to do tasks such as security, farm, mining and also be able to have drones and droids working for them as well.

- The galaxy should be fighting for peace against an endless stream of enemy forces trying to desecrate your way of life and enslaving peaceful cultures.

-A slow progression of difficulty to allow the player to keep pace with the single player campaign or universe

- large pirate factions added as well as patrols of enemies on the surface of planets. What if late game, you would see blockades of Zirax ships at trade stations and an ever evolving "randomized" war that was being fought all over the galaxy.

-It should be easier to lose your cv, hv, ba and sv at times in the late game. There should be super weapons that can eradicate your mothership in several shots.

- there should also be invasions of patrol ships.

- Resources are easy to come by at late game, but if there is an improvement to the in-game market that has items we need late game that we can't construct, then that will give us a purpose to sell goods to vendors.
    SEE ECONOMY LINK

Game Mechanics and Bugs
    - please fix the exit sequence for the cockpit so we can exit when our SV is just rocking around after landing. It is getting annoying having to wait 10 seconds for it to stop moving.

- fridge keeps turning off on cv

- where did the old cv/ba/sv/hv way points go. I want to always know where they are and the new system doesn't work at distances over 700 meters

- entry and exit atmosphere needs to be polished, it looks so clunky and amateur.

- combat...I've stressed this before and I dont want to rant again. Hitpoints on enemys, impeccable aim, and fix the armor system to work as an over shield

- not sure if its a lag problem with the server bc my connection sucks, but I have been running into some plants that give infinite resources.

- rag doll physics. The floating bodies just look silly

- enemy accuracy hit ratio not 100 percent

- Revival of the old t2 drill. T2 and T1 drill need to be beefed up a bit.

- concealment behind bushes to work against the enemy. They shouldn't be able to see me

- cover behind trees and rocks and hillsides protect the player

I have to Thank Eleon for their work on Alpha 6.5 , I can't wait to see if this changes a lot of the balancing of combat in the players favor :)

**********************************************************************************

In Conclusion:

I know I went way past the number of features you can fit in one update, but I just wanted to show where I'd like the game to end up eventually.

Here is how I see Empyrion being played:

3 start difficulties= Easy, Med , Hard

On Hard:
    The beginning of the game would be our character fighting for survival in a harsh environment. After we have the ability to leave our barren world behind, we should come across our first POI's where we can raid and fight. Maybe after this point, in the same system we can come across our first settlements.

This is where the game would start to take off in a new direction. Now we are introduced to some major plot points of where we came from, perhaps from visiting portals and reading data chips. These are just a few ways to introduce lore.

At this point it is our desire to continue our journey further into the galaxy to discover where we came from, who is running the galaxy and to forge a path for our character to make a name for himself.

Instant Action

Empyrion Instant Action mode where we could place units, spawners and spawn timers ( vehicles) in scenarios to set up battles like star wars battlefront had.

This would be a mode in Creative where you can spawn opposing armies in and fight on either side.

It would work a lot like Ultimate Battle Simulator

Paint Bucket

http://empyriononline.com/threads/paint-bucket.12487/

Empyrion Suggestions I support:

- Communication Satelites that lead to new content for late game players

http://empyriononline.com/threads/concept-for-later-stage-singleplayer-content.12370/

- Thoder's late game Suggestions
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/h...rm-must-have-content.12291/page-3#post-145781

- Custom Programmable Moveable Blocks
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/gravity-thingy.12414/#post-147108

- POI Functionality
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/poi-functionality-connections.11432/

Or check out my City Building thread and start building some skyscrapers for Empyrion's future Metropolis areas:

http://empyriononline.com/threads/builders-needed-city-building.11974/

Frankyln likes this.
  3. michaelhartman89

Thats how, I have been asking myself how to fix it all for quite a while.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. Xenophon

Xenophon Commander

well its singleplayer, for more players you want multiplayer

adding npcs would force us to use them for whatever advantage they give or they would be pointless to have in game

I dont see what is there to "fix" about single player being only player. Lonely? Then go to multiplayer. Dont force imitation of people (npc) on singleplayer. Unless you can as effectively do anything alone (or by machines) as by using npcs.

call it what you want I dont want to depend on npcs for anything. You can have them but not in way that theres anything you cant do same without npcs.

5. TNTBOY479

TNTBOY479 Lieutenant

Id love to see NPCs that can walk around your bsse and ships (spawnable in creative mode) including some NPCs that attack other NPCs to spice it up a bit.

rucky and michaelhartman89 like this.
  6. michaelhartman89

Let's restate the OP:

I like large bases and CVs, but without crew, all the living spaces feel empty and without purpose. One can't even really use one's own bed, but there's no point in making multiple rooms if no one can use them.

I know that POIs can have NPCs added, but when building my own structures, it would be nice to have some way to populate them.

Minecraft has the same problem; you can't really create a functional town, only an empty one

Where in the OP does he say you have to use npc's?

"adding npcs would force us to use them for whatever advantage they give or they would be pointless to have in game" - your own words

I see that I may have misunderstood what you said, re reading the OP and mistaking it for my suggestions.

Either way, it won't affect you if you don't use them. I like managing npc's, its fun for me.

I enjoy RTS games and liked playing the Sims too. We aren't talking about control on that level though.

TNTBOY479 and Mortlath like this.
  7. Mortlath

Mortlath Lieutenant

Say I build a spaceport, or a large CV on a multiplayer server. It seems like you should need personal to run such a facility. For example, a spaceport would need shop keepers, medics, and others.

It doesn't seem feasible to have players sit at a base and be a shopkeeper when they could be doing something more exciting.

That's not to mention that things like rooms aren't really useful either as you don't need a bed or anything.

8. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Commander

So basically it would be like a Colony "Galactic" Survival, where you recruit people to inhabit your base. That could be cool !

michaelhartman89 likes this.
  9. michaelhartman89

Yes and you are responsible for providing, air, fuel, food and pay a salary for each member of this settlement or station that you hired

10. michaelhartman89

We have discussed this so many times, here you go:

You also have to consider in our future exploration into the universe if we ever get npc's that we can hire and command, that would open up ways to run many large scale operations and would require a lot more resources in the end.

What if you had to provide food and shelter for each npc that worked for you, where you built a small settlement around your base for your employees/slaves.

This along with an increase in NPC factions and funding your search for Empyrion, may require a lot more resources in the end.

Perhaps when you plan on searching for Empyrion you have to build a Sat Com station and send out probes into deep space to look for it. At that point you build your version of a generation ship loaded with credits, food and resources and start warping away.

Some of the warps could land you quite a ways from the nearest planet which would require you to set your ship on auto pilot for a few min to arrive there.

Once you get there you realize that there is nothing of value, so you are forced to sell your wares at the nearest station to keep going.

At any point along the way you can settle and plop down a teleporter to visit your base, but that would be very expensive and be more of a mid/late game price only available at rare traders. You would have to find them by visiting stations and spend all your hard earned cash to buy a teleporter so you can still get back home when you want to.

Of course, at some point there really is a sprawling metropolis at Empyrion. There would be a lot of historical buildings with rich lore about the universe you are in. (Empyrion is part 2)

Just think of the resources it would take to accomplish all this. The Sat Coms at each location and probes, the Teleporters as well as the extra cost of maintaing your small colony.

Of course you could always sit back and be a powerhouse and never go in search of Empyrion, but that would leave the player wondering what else is out there.

There could be stories about its greatness and beauty that just drive the players crazy with the desire to visit this paradise

rucky and Sofianinho like this.
  11. michaelhartman89

The truth is, npc's and economy go hand in hand. We discussed it quite a bit on my Economy thread. Thats where I found my post.

12. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Commander

Lore wise I think one way to introduce friendly NPC's is by making one part of the crashed Titan contain a crew of colonists sleeping in cryochambers, so you'd wake them up and take them to your base\CV.

13. michaelhartman89

Lots of different situations, maybe some in distress, stranded in space or surviving on planets alone, hiring them in cantinas (mercs), off the street in a urban area, or just hiring a friendly farmer....the possibilities are endless.

Sofianinho likes this.
  14. michaelhartman89

Get to know them, maybe perform some missions to help them out and then offer them employment.

15. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Commander

Biggest obstacle tho is pathfiding, as AI is not really the strong point of EGS, it's very unlikely to happen.

16. michaelhartman89

Yah, we will see on this one. If you had a system where you lay out their path, say npc go to mine here, open miner, refuel, take ores, go back here, drop off in one of the containers and repeat every hour.

This is all meant for late game of course.

OR

You make it so only flying drones can be hired to mine and they just go mine a deposit and then wait for the next command.

Then you leave npc's behind to pull security or farm, work in medical, run a cantina, etc.

Set up the map where you can make waypoints and add a selection for send drone here to mine deposit. Then send your npcs to go protect him by clicking on a area next to the mine.

I really dont care if the npc's get stuck, they might not even get stuck anymore.

The raptors can climb out of holes now.
    I only know this because i tried to did a trap for them like the old days when you could trap them in holes

Sofianinho likes this.
  17. michaelhartman89

Before anyone says the game is playing itself, this is meant for late game only.

Perhaps there is a lvling system for npcs and they can only do this if they gain skills first and level up.

18. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Commander

If anyone enjoy harvesting the farms then they are masochistic ! it's the most tedious and annoying thing in the game right now, so having an NPC do it for you it would be a godsend.
    This would also be a good solution for the invisible factory, if instead you need an engineer NPC to build your blueprint.

Mortlath and michaelhartman89 like this.
  19. michaelhartman89

Same thing with mining. I hate it, I want to explore! I wish mining was more dangerous and difficult. We should have to find veins in the rock and cave ins should be a thing.

I like exploring the woods in search of plants. I wish there was more to find out there, like weapons caches, blueprints, secret hideaways, and rare items.

I also like exploring POI's. It would be awesome to go spelunking in caves and dive deep in the oceans and lakes to find new wildlife and expensive pearls, and minerals.

We need more to explore!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM
  20. Mortlath

Mortlath Lieutenant

In my mind, I wouldn't mind a system somewhat like the game Mount & Blade with the Freelancer mod. You start out on your own, but you can slowly build up your own faction if you choose to go that route, or you help an existing faction win.

michaelhartman89 likes this.