How to back up your games!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary Parkin, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I've played a lot of video games. I love everything from top down to first person shooters.
    I've had a lot of good times, building and exploring, but what happens when things go horribly wrong?

I'm not an expert, but sometimes the said games crash, leaving you with a corrupted game save.

I've read a lot about this on this forum and I feel so bad for the player who can no longer play, and has lost all those hours so I'm sharing my code and my way of backing up my games. It may not be the best solution, but it's easy to do and it works great.

(I take no responsibility for you hosing up your saves or anything else you break. Please make a MANUAL backup, and or test this on a text file first until you get the hang of it).

I added thumbnails so you can see the entire process.
    I have 2 drives, but if you don't it's ok. You can set up a folder for your game saves.
    I wanted to make this as easy to set up as possible for as many games that I have.

This is broken into 2 pieces; the main save script and the shortcut that calls it. The main script you never have to change. I promise.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I use Windows, so I don't know Mac. I'm sorry Mac guys.

Set up a folder called Utilities or what ever you'd like to call it. I called mine Utilities.
    Next get yourself a copy of Notepad++. Don't use Windows notepad because it adds junk at the end of the lines.

Create a file named BackupSaveFile.bat and add these lines to it. This is an old style Windows batch file. You can do it with Windows Scripting Host too, but some Windows have this disabled for virus protection. (Mine does).

Code:
    For /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (set mydate=%%c-%%a-%%b)
    For /f "tokens=1-3 delims=/:/ " %%a in ('time /t') do (set mytime=%%a-%%b-%%c)
    set mytime=%mytime: =%
    rem echo %mydate%_%mytime%

XCopy %1 %2_%mydate%_%mytime% /E/H/I
    "What does this do?"
    It relies on a desktop shortcut to send it a folder to back up, and a folder to write it to.
    You'll never have to mess with this again, and you don't really have to fully understand how it works but it loops through folders and copies them to another folder with a date and time attached. that's what the first 2 lines are doing. Getting and formatting the date and time.

Here's a typical scenario.
    I want to back up my Empyrion saves folder to my D drive. I want all my save games, so I create the BackupSaveFile.bat add the code, and add it to my Utilities folder.

Then forget it's there. Really. I promise (I did say that right?) you'll never have to screw with code again.

I know that Steam saves my Empyrion saves in a folder here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves

In this folder, are all my save game files.
    I created a folder on my D drive called Empyrion and in it I create another folder called Saved Games

I created a shortcut on my desktop called Empyrion Backup. You can name it anything of course. I chose an icon for mine that I'd remember.

In the shortcut Target I pasted this line of text.
    Code:
    C:\Utilities\BackupSaveFile.bat "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games\*.*" "D:\Empyrion\Saved Games\SaveGame"
    "What does this do?"
    This calls the backup batch file
    C:\Utilities\BackupSaveFile.bat
    and passes the game saves folder to it.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games\*.*"
    (You need the quotes because Windows can't read the space in 'Program Files'

And it passes in the save destination:
    "D:\Empyrion\Saved Games\SaveGame"

EmpyrionBackup.jpg

In English it says, call the BackupSaveFile in Utilities and look in ...Galactic Survival\Saves\Games\ and for ALL my games in that folder (this is what *.* does), read thru them and save them all to a folder in "D:\Empyrion\Saved Games\SaveGame", and also add a time and date stamp to the end of the folder so it looks like this:
    SaveGame_2020-07-26_02-09-PM

When you open this folder you get essentially the same thing as you would see if you went to ...Galactic Survival\Saves\Games

This is what my saved games folder looks like after I saved a few times.
    Saves.jpg

The next time you need to back up your games, just click the shortcut and your games are safely stored on your hard drive where you can get them any time.

What I like about this solution is it doesn't zip or change the files in any way so if I need to go back to an earlier date, which I do often, I delete the save in Empyrion and copy the save from the saves folder back into my game and it's as though I went back in time. I use this when I test mods (a lot).

So please be careful, and I hope this helps someone. Stay safe y'all.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Myrmidon and Kassonnade like this.