Human/Alien Crew (NPC’s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IndigoWyrd, Jul 26, 2019.

1. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Might it be possible to start giving some function to these before update 11? Dancers and table occupants are fine as decorations, but I’d love to see both more variety and function added here.

For example, the Security Guard Crew, comes with a firearm and some armor, and a nice “I’m standing here.” pose.

I would be grand if these could patrol around an area and engage with hostile entities - shoot spiders, attacking Zirax/Drones, and the like.

Even better if they could also interact with some base/ship devices - using medical equipment if injured, consuming food items periodically, and the like.

This would be a huge step towards really bringing the game world to life.

I mention the Security Guard specifically, as there is already an AI function to facilitate most of the functionality - the Cyborg Sentry that patrols the Polaris bases.

The Pilot Crew would be great if given the option of operating a vehicle to patrol an area and engage hostiles or shuttle players from a designated start and end point (or multiple points).

The Commanding Officer could be configured to serve as a “terminal” to control other NPC’s, ordering Security Guards to their posts, to engage hostiles, or patrol an area, ordering pilots to take flight, or return to base, and so on.

Just a few thoughts and a deeply felt request.

MrGReaper likes this.
  2. boo

boo Commander

the IA are crap, even a zyrax dont know how to open a door, how they can make a good script for a npc to interact with all your base ? lol

3. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Look at what they’ve made so far. I’ve no doubt the programming talent is there to create a very impressive AI, it just hasn’t been focused on very much as of yet, because it hasn’t been particularly prominent to this point.

4. khulkhuum

khulkhuum Lieutenant

Considering your expectations, the amount of work needed for your ideas would require adding a lot of AI scripting. This means a major update. It will not be some polishing of the existing AI, but adding a lot of functionality to the existing.

Not that i am against, this would make the game more lively as it is, but sadly such things will need a lot of time spent on development and testing.

5. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

Well, if you want a cheap and easy solution, have the guards acts like static turrets. That way no fancy pathfinding AI and they will work well even in moving starships (to repel boarders).
    Not the greatest of solutions, but at lest they will be useful.

As for others - they can give bonuses to the ship/base they're stationed on - increased accuracy, or rate of fire, improved engine performance, etc..

Cluascorp and Josey Wales like this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Zirax can open doors in their own bases, but it's a setting per-door according to how the blueprint author set it up.

7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I must have some strange ideas about what development teams do all day ;-)

8. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

They write Code.
    Unlike a Content creator / Builder / Designer.. those might actualy build or at least draw ingame items…

Then agin, most of the actual ingame "items" (cv, ba, hv) are made by the community, in one way or another.

9. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Right, and what is AI? Complex code.

10. Sillls

Sillls Lieutenant

I really like these ideas. I have been hoping to see them in the game for some time now. I hate playing the lone wonderer in games.

11. MrGReaper

MrGReaper Lieutenant

I assumed the human crew when set as a guard would shoot invaders? I have them protecting my core room. (still reletively new to the game though)
    Are they just cool decoration?

12. Spoon

Spoon Captain

The crew have no functions.. As you say, just decoration.

13. MrGReaper

MrGReaper Lieutenant

Glad to find that out before we turned attacks back on lol
    Still good as a decoration though, they do look rather awesome guarding, and we may or may not have dancers in our canteen lol