HVs in Space Issue

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by The Big Brzezinski, Dec 3, 2020.

1. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

I took an HV miner to space in experimental for some asteroid mining, but it's nearly uncontrollable. It feels like the 3 m/s speed cap isn't working at all on the Y axis. When I'm leveled out with O, I can move forward, backward, and laterally as normal, but ascending and descending are much faster. If I pitch up or down more than about fifteen degrees, I careen out of control.

I tried looking for the Y axis speed cap. I did not succeed.
    [​IMG]

2. xtended2l

xtended2l Commander

402m/s lol
    My CV needs this speed so hard.

3. Addy

Addy Lieutenant

Why would you take a HV into space? I can understand doing it for fun, or just so I could say I did it, but planets are for HV, space is for SV CV etc

4. The Big Brzezinski

Asteroid mining. Beats the heck out of a hand drill. HV drills are a much cheaper and faster to unlock than CV or SV drills. All you need to do is turn off your CV's gravity, and you can putter around at 3/ms. This is a perfectly reasonable speed for mining. You're screwed if any drones go after you, but that's what the CV is for. Operating from a CV also means the miner doesn't need nearly as much endurance as independent operation requires. You can use logistics to offload ore, refuel, and grab a snack.

I wrote up a bug report in the time since 1.3 went stable. Hopefully this problem can be tracked down and easily solved.

Pach, ChumSickle and Kassonnade like this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

That kind of sounds like a "pink is for girls, blue is for boys" mindset...

6. Addy

Addy Lieutenant

Well girls can give birth, boys can't, just like an SV can fly in space, HV can't :)

7. Except that the game was updated quite a while ago now specifically to allow HV's to operate in space.
    At a rather slow speed, yes, but they still DO operate fully in space.

HV drills also unlock at level 7 as opposed to SV drills not unlocking until level 20.
    Since HV's do infact "fly" in space then taking one up to space allows the player to get into vessel based asteroid mining much sooner in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2020
    Pach and Kassonnade like this.
  8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

The distinction between girls and boys is natural. The distinction between SV and HV is arbitrary.

9. The Big Brzezinski

Yesterday's experimental build fixed the problem, so I'm happy. Now I can Very Hungry Caterpillar my way around asteroids again, and eventually pupate into a beautiful tier four CV.

Pach likes this.
  10. Addy

Addy Lieutenant

Nothing arbitrary about observational facts, except when the wife uses arbitrary facts to distract me from what I want, and I end up with what she want's.

11. Addy

Addy Lieutenant

OMG! next you will be telling me Santa's not real, how can they bend reality to such an extent it no longer makes sense, not going to believe that HV,s flying about in space mining asteroids is right, what's next, creating custom NPC factions, and being able to add them to galactic territories, playfields and POI, yeah sure! believe that when I see it :)

J'ee, Pach and Kassonnade like this.
  12. J'ee

J'ee Lieutenant

Well clearly because 402m/s. But also because early mining efficiency. That HV is a miner.

My problem with HVs in space right now their up/down controls are reversed for some reason when they're around my CV and the gravity generator is off. This gets resolved when gravity generation gets turned back on, but of course they can't fly then.

Addy likes this.
  13. Addy

Addy Lieutenant

CV+ 4 mining lasers = dead asteroids. Even in space, you can hear the asteroids scream :)

Everyone using a HV in space, needs re-educating, this is best achieved by dishing out a good slapping, with a long dead thingy, and put on Santa's naughty list :D

Never taken a HV on the moon, I wonder what if? ;)

14. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

No, you are missing a very important point:

HV with drills - level 12 (or lower?)
    CV with mining lasers - level 25

That's the difference why people are taking HVs into space. You can mine the asteroids faster at a much lower level.

You can't even get a drill turret on a CV until level 20.

So if you want to mine asteroids at level 12, an HV is the way to go.

Addy likes this.
  15. Addy

Addy Lieutenant

Dear Santa
    Please add everyone on this thread how advocates using HV in space to your naughty list for next year.

Your ever vindictive servant Addy (aka Nasty Llama) ;)

Pach likes this.
  16. The Big Brzezinski

HV drills are level 7. For comparison, SV warp drives are level 10.

HVs are a really good low-cost way of asteroid mining before you can get a big mining CV together. You can carry them around on almost any CV and most SVs without any cost to CPU. They don't need a lot of endurance since they're going to operate from a nearby mother ship. They only take basic materials to construct, so they're pretty much disposable if you're attacked. Plus you can take them mining on planets normally, or even swap the drills for grinders and go logging.

Imagine a hagfish slowly eating a whale carcass from the inside out. That's basically how HVs mine asteroids, cutting through the bland rock to gobble up all that juicy ore. Enjoy that image.

Pach likes this.
  17. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

If you are using an HV in space, I suggest you stick at least one small thrust up and and down. Make them alot more controllable.

TBH I do this for any HV even to help moving them between vessels in space, or vessel to/from space station etc.