I'm fat so my mother got me a Camera for my Birthday! - So lets Talk Cameras!

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by StoneLegion, Jun 18, 2017.

1. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

So long story short my mother wanted to get me something that I would use a bit more to explore the outdoors rather then the indoors. I sadly don't live in the country or somewhere I can access ATV trails and fun recreational places and have no Car mainly due to how insane Insurance is and I just can't justify the costs till I can find myself a job.

So in comes the Camera for my Birthday!

What I got in Total:
    Camera:
    Nikon COOLPIX P900 - 83x Optical Zoom with 166x Digital.
    .:Links:.
    Tripod: COOCHEER Compact Camera Tripod Stand with 3-Way PanHead,1/4" QR Plate,Carrying Bag,57"(147cm),Load up to 8.8lb,Starter Beginner Entry Level
    Filters: Neewer® 67MM Complete Lens Filter Accessory Kit for Lenses with 67MM Filter Size: UV CPL FLD Filter Set + Macro Close Up Set (+1 +2 +4 +10) + ND Filter Set (ND2 ND4 ND8) + Other
    Battery / Charger: Pack of 3 Replacement EN-EL23 Batteries and Battery Charger
    Memory Storage: SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I Card 95MB/S
    Carrying Case: AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag (Orange interior)

Why did you pick the P900?:
    • I never was big into photography that being said I was always big into long range photography. I always found it unique and Interesting to try to spot where is Waldo sort of speak and explore the world from afar.
    • I enjoy the sky and I feel with a Camera like this I could take some interesting pictures of it during the night and day.
    What are the cons?:
    • It's not a DSLR Camera. Even though I'm new to all this stuff 100% this is a big deal for most people and highly not recommended as a first Camera.
    • It does not have detachable lens. Meaning the best you can do is use filters their pretty much this tinny lens you screw at the end of the big lens called Filters.
    • The Senors is quite small from my Understanding for a Camera like this it really should be a minimal of 1 inch sensors and I think this about 4 times less making it only slightly better the the better Phone Cameras on the Market for quality of pictures.
    • Camera only works well in bright light.
    • Only saves as JPG and not in Raw.
    What are the pluses?:
    • Simple to use all in 1 Camera.
    • Has the highest Zoom level then any other camera without spending insane amount on lens $1000's+
    • Don't have to keep swapping lens out for different ranges.
    • Saves money in the long run as you can't buy new lenses haha.
    • It's like owning a hand held telscope and lets you zoom into the Moon and other planets in our sky.
    • Can be used for perverts in the bush. Enjoy that jail time.
    Would you recommend the P900 to others?
    When I researched this camera the answer would be overall No unless you are unique like me and are not going for the most professional level and don't mind images that don't turn out perfect but as well as someone who mostly is wanting for zooming content and when I mean zooming I mean ZOOMING.

If you are someone looking for a camera overall then I would highly suggest a Canon or Nikon with a detachable Lens for sure. You will get much better pictures and overall you will learn more about Cameras overall.

This Camera is only good for people looking for really the distance of zoom and ease of use and budget on that zoom level.

Will you ever get a DSLR?:
    I will consider it if I enjoy the P900 a lot. That being said I'm personally quite poor. With this all in one I'm happy I don't need a lens and I'm not trying to go for professional anything more just get off my butt and take pictures and have a reason to hike far out. But as time goes on if I find myself really enjoying the Hobby sure I will consider it more maybe even the next model of this Camera in the future.

Is there other Models of this type of Camera?
    Nikon is planning to come out with something like the P1000 or maybe p910 in the future. There is no ETA on this it could be in 3 months or 3 years. The current info we have is it will be 125x optical zoom with a 1" sensor. This alone for the Sensor is really great news. The zoom might be too much because already at 83x it's hard to see things clearly because of things like heat shimmers and other environmental effects.

Canon also has a Camera with a 65x Optical zoom called the Canon Powershot sx60.

Your poor why the hell?
    I'm quite poor and I love my life. I always hated working corporate job and the whole 9-5 Idea. I think us humans are enslaved and the whole point of robotics and automation was to create a better society and not make less then 100 people have as much money and power as everyone else on the entire planet.

besides my Political views on why I'm poor and stay that way and why I have not found a Internet job I enjoy yet has no meaning on the power of my mother.

My mother wanted to get me the darn Camera to become more healthy and because I have already lost almost 50 pounds this year. I plan on keeping this going and she just knows I spend way too much time in front of the computer. I face depression a lot and I reject most people including friends, and suggestions, and even gifts from my family. But I had been given advice that I should start small and accept this gift to help better myself and maybe to try to help me become a little less Anti Social in the future and hang out with my peers outside of the WWW.

I plan on starting a Youtube channel and I guess a Flickr? Not sure if there is other sites you guys and girls would recommend for me to check out to publish my content overtime to share.

I will edit this thread as time goes on :)

tltr; I'm fat my mommy wants me to be less fat and go outside and play with a Camera that can zoom out far and look at girls. I hope this post encourage Camera talk so I can learn the ways of being a Camera Man or Women ;)

Kassonnade and Frigidman like this.
  2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

The first step is often the hardest, and you made it ! Keep it going. Can you try getting a few pictures of the closest / biggest planets (Mars, Venus, Jupiter) and post them here? I bought a small telescope for my girl but the thing gets "polluted" simply by breathing close to it while trying to get focus...

StoneLegion likes this.
  3. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Haha, I paused when I saw the closest lol. yeah I like to try and will post what I can. I don't know how bad the light pollution is at my location but will see overtime for sure. I never got lucky myself and never had a telescope and such so this is one heck of a jump ahead. Sounds like your lucky though to have someone to share the experience with. You guys will have to be my special someone :)

Kassonnade likes this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Kids are precious. I just lost a nephew last Tuesday who was fighting is 3rd ****** at 11... He was an enlightened boy, very clever and snappy, he also was my daughter's closest "friend". I don't want to live through such an experience ever again. Seeing and hearing anyone grasping desperately to life knowing it's slowly but surely slipping away is very disturbing, but a kid... He lived a thousand km away, but we made the trip just to say farewell. I felt so useless..

5. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Oh no I'm so sorry :( I'm sure it met a lot to his parents and him. May he rest in peace. No parent should have to go through that sadly but we live in a cruel world sadly.

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

We only live once but we tend to forget it. Adults have a hard time realizing this, but kids just live in the present and we have to push them so they take a little care of themselves. I'm still convinced he could have made it through, but he was too tired and very skinny from years of treatments, and he just did not have the will to fight anymore or suffer any surgery. But in the end we could feel his regrets... This was terrible. At least he died at home with his family, the doctor and 2 nurses spent 12 hours tending to his pain and he just felt deeper and deeper into his sleep, with massive amounts of morphine. It is still a bit unreal. And for the matter here : he was a total computer addict ! At some point we need to get away from this devilish machine that keeps us away from the sun. ;)

So now you have the camera, let's see what your eyes can spot and capture of this beautiful world ! You might even get some lucky shots and earn a little extra money with that !

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Pyston likes this.
  7. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

My first camera was a canon 1000D
    I only got it a couple of years ago.
    I toured around england ab it and got some sighteeing pics of many stone circles and monuments.

I then got into astrophotography with another pal and we started to make time lapse star trail pictures and such, he had more equipment than me though and also some super huge telescope we would take to locations and spend hours till the early morn time lapsing the sky and looking around in telescopes ^-^

We sued to take time laps pictures of the milky way spiral arm visible from earth, we would enhance these on computer with special imaging software to bring out the beauty of the milky way galaxy.

As a bit of fun i set my camera up on a tripod on the side of the road and did some short exposures as i drove past in a car with some crazy led lights all over it XD it was a cool pic ^-^

The point is the time lapse and astrophotography got me out and about, on my feet for hours on end, lifting and carrying heavy equipment around.
    Not only that my body was once again able to cope with the temperatures of.. the outside world 0.o
    On top of that I saw wonderous things and it felt adventurous to a degree ^^

I hope you can have a similar experience.

8. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Maybe you should buy a 3 or 4 wheeled bike, I built my own 4 wheel bike with fully independent suspension and rear sway bars, power assisted electric vehical, its a sick slick little beast, its all I can ride with my hip, but its kept me fit as a fiddle and I have a camera mounted on it, some of the stuff its captured, like a guys driving up road with trampoline on roof with NOTHING holding it on just him and his misses with an arm out the window holding to the roof of there sedan, WTF ! Man I laughed when they took a corner and it went WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and mangled the tram when it slammed into square gutter, theres IDIOTS GALORE out there dude you just have to get out and get moving to see it, lifes so funny sometimes !!

Get a bike, see the world and get fit at the same time !

Dietrich likes this.