Inconsistency between Info panel - Planet, for resources

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Myrmidon, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Info panel reports different resources than planet has.

[--A12_0_1506--]_2020-06-24_17-14-36.png [--A12_0_1506--]_2020-06-24_17-14-48.png

Jualter likes this.
  2. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Apparently those on the outside are the number of entries in the yaml for different ore deposits.
    Though, since you're looking at it from the system map: Are you sure that isn't the number and type of asteroids in the orbital playfield around the planet?

3. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Can see it as a bug still, by wrong/missing info of what you actually see. Orbit/Asteroids should it say somewhere on the first picture. Also should be Orbit Info instead of Planet Info. Also info about the orbit and not the planet should have been shown there, or a combo.

Myrmidon likes this.
  4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

You do not pay attention in the details. The orbital playfield of the planet is designated as sector, in the info panel.

[--A12_0_1506--]_2020-06-24_18-34-35.png

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

According to a long ago question of mine to ravien_ff about the discrepancies between what the Planet info says and what's actual on the Planet the answer was like that: (@ravien_ff Please correct me if I am wrong)

When a Planet is created it gets certain Resources. Some have a higher % Chance , some have a lower. When the Planet appears on the System Map you see what it should OR may have. Now all POI and Land /Water Terrain start to form up and their positioning decides if a Deposit is placed or not. Those Deposits with the higher Chance will be created. Those with the lower Chance get "lost".
    Otherwise POI's would stay on top of Deposits or the Deposits may appear under Water.
    In your case Erestrum and Gold has fallen through the Cracks

This info was at about A10.5. The calculations what spawns and what not still stands.

Pach likes this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

This is correct.

Pach and Germanicus like this.
  7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

What is really missing here is one word: potential. So the system info playfield panel should say "Potential Resources." Would clear up a lot of confusion.

That is, unless Eleon wants the panel to be exact. In which case, this is more of a cultural/language barrier problem.

ravien_ff, Pach and Myrmidon like this.
  8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Reminds me of "lost in translation".

If this is true it is utterly stupidious. I do not think @EleonGameStudios believes every player is familiar or accustomed to statistics. Also, once more, it would be that the information was not communicated with the player base.

9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

The Miracle Word is Exploration!
    Do we know what Resource we can find on VENUS? No! We can give a good GUESS because of its Position in Space, its Atmosphere its density and so on.... but be don't know it to be sure. We actually have to "GO Down there" and look for ourselves!

That is the Reality in our current 21st Century.
    The Devs give us a glimpse to what is presumably down there of "Potential Resources" (thanks @Fractalite ) but we still have to investigate!
    I really fail to see the Problem with that.

nj_87 and ravien_ff like this.
  10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I like potential resources.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Commander

It *IS* too confusing presently. Either show us what's there correctly, or remove it. <--What I would like to see. I actually like that they removed the description of the planet type entirely UNTIL you actually visit it. Perhaps the percentage chance for specific ores be tied to the system class. You may not know EXACTLY what is in the system before visiting it, but that the odds would be better for resource type "X" in specific classes. Just a thought....

Pach, Myrmidon and Germanicus like this.
  12. Jualter

Jualter Lieutenant

This *bug* drives me nuts. Yes, if the intent is as some are saying that "potential" resources are listed, it may be a labeling issue but this is definitely bug territory in my book unless that is corrected. If the user can't tell what it's supposed to be, then it looks like a bug. So either the info or the label need to be adjusted and fixing the label would be a quick text change. From a software testing point of view, I'm going to make sure there are no planets with different resources on each panel, i.e. make sure that the resources displayed on the planet info of the planet map is indeed a subset of the resources displayed on the planet info of the galactic map.

Now that I can suspect it's supposed to be "potential" resources, I'll be looking around a bit to verify it's at least working that way. Initially, I had the issue where it automatically switches back to the sector tab and you wouldn't know it so what you thought was planet resources were actually asteroids. Also, if you're mousing over the info panel to verify a resource name, it allows you to inadvertently select/hover over a planet behind the info panel. The info panel should be the "front" graphic, which should then prevent you from interacting with items behind the graphic. The same can happen with the 'Lock Target' button so you accidentally click a new planet (although at least it seems to lock the right one now before you unintentionally also shift your scree to the newly clicked planet under the lock target button), etc. The combination of these 3 bugs or design oversights make the map quite tedious to use. I submitted the latter one during A12 experimental but all the above are still issues in A12 2969.

13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

The term "potential resources" is an assumption by someone not involved in the development of the game, hence false. Just ignore it and forget about it all the same.

14. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The info displayed on the sector map is based on the ore entries listed in the playfield file. If an ore entry has a quantity of 0-2, for example, then it will still show up on the sector map as containing that resource.

The ore deposits displayed on the planet map are based on what deposits actually exist. So if the game decides to give that 0-2 ore deposit a count of 0, then it won't appear on the planet even though it shows up on the sector map as having that resource.

So the bug is that the sector map doesn't display what resources the planet actually has, just what resources it can potentially have according to the playfield files. I don't know how much they can improve the display, so adding "potential resources" to the sector map would be a better short term solution until they can come up with a better fix.

Germanicus likes this.
  15. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

The way you describe it it is not a bug. It can be corrected by replacing 0 with 1 in the playfield file. As it it now results only to confusion.

Pach likes this.
  16. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Or have unvisited systems show "?" by the resource as potential instead of any number. Changes to "0" when it gets the max count

17. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Must be a trick to force players who want specific ore type to visit relevant playfields.

18. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Can you plz go to the console and type in 'stats' while you are in the orbit or on the planet where this discrepancy happens? And send in the screenshot? Thx.

Pach likes this.
  19. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

If it matters I was not in orbit when I first saw the planet's deposits in info panel. I had just warped to the star and I was looking for all the planets' in the info panel. Then I visited the planet playfield and noticed the inconsistency. But as you requested here is the screenshot from the orbit.

Screenshot from 2020-07-04 01-08-27.png

20. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Thx - but I just found I might need the star name as well :D

Pach likes this.