Inconsistent timing on delay circuits

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by Garaman, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Build: 3373
    Mode: Survival / Creative
    Mode: Single Player / Multiplayer

Reproducibility: Sometimes
    Severity: Minor

Type: Signal Logic

Summary: Sequential one second delay circuits are sometimes activated together, rather than in sequence.

Note: I don't think this is a 1.5 bug, but probably pre-existing in 1.4 and earlier. However I created the attached blueprint in 1.5 so I'm submitting it here.

Description:
    I set out to make a countdown timer using a series of delay circuits with increasing delays. I noticed that sometimes the sequence works perfectly, and sometimes it randomly skips a number. I modified my timer test to add an indicator for the start signal (S) and for each 1 second delay (numbers). I used switches as indicators because they seem to activate immediately with the signal activation with no randomization like lights have. When I cycled the timer several times I see two issues:
    1) The first 1 second delay timer sometimes takes longer than 1 second
    2) At some point in the sequence, two of the delay circuits will activate at the same time.

The attached video shows one successful run of the sequence, followed by a reset (have to wait for the delays to cycle). During the reset you can observe that the "1" indicator takes longer than a second to trigger, and that the 7 and 8 second delays reset at the same time. I then run the sequence again, and you can again see the longer gap on the first delay signal, followed by the 6 and 7 signals activating at the same time. This causes the countdown to skip the number "5" LCD display.

This behavior is unfortunately random. I am also not sure if it only happens after the signals have been cycled once.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Load the attached blueprint in creative in space. It contains an RCS so you can sit in the seat and orient it so the indicators are in shadow and easier to see.
    2) Activate the switch in front of the cockpit. You should see the "S" indicator switch light up immediately, then a second later the "1" indicator will light and a series of LCDs will start a 10 second text display.
    3) Observe the indicator lights to see if any are delayed longer than 1 second, or if two indicators activate at the same time.
    4) If the sequence runs normally, flip the switch to reset the sequence and try again.

Timer framework. Switches above each label are indicators for (S)tart signal and +(1) second, +(2) second, etc, delay circuits.
    upload_2021-6-2_20-50-24.png

Signal setup for delay circuits, showing increasing offsets from Start signal.
    upload_2021-6-2_20-50-33.png

Video of issue:

Attached Files:

tahaan likes this.