Integration of Directional Thrusters

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Hello Galactic Survivalists,

We would like to thank everybody who has participated in the recent “survey about thruster mechanics in Empyrion”: http://empyriononline.com/threads/survey-about-thruster-mechanics-in-empyrion.162

As of today, 82.4% were in favour of the “sim-style thruster” placements against 17.6% who voted for "Arcade-style thruster placement”. It was very interesting and inspiring to read your thoughts and comments on the thruster mechanics on the community forum but also on Facebook, Twitter and IndieDB. Thanks for this great feedback!

As a consequence of this relatively clear vote, we have integrated a first set of directional thrusters into Empyrion and we have updated the spaceship controller accordingly. We have taken into account that people seem to want non-invasive directional thrusters that don’t destroy the visuals of their spaceships. Take a look at the first screenshots of the new directional thrusters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our friends from the Modding Asylum are currently preparing a whole set of directional thrusters that will be integrated very soon. These are just 2 of their set:

[​IMG]

But we also listen to those of you who are in favour of a more Arcade-style thruster placement because we plan to integrate configuration possibilities for the thrusters on your ships later on (i.e., you will be able to configure the force that is applied to the different directions).

Thanks for reading and stay tuned

Eleon Game Studios

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    123ethan, Fruitbat, Alex and 3 others like this.
  2. CthulhuDawn

CthulhuDawn Ensign

im in love with that ice planet

3. Robofan

Robofan Commander

AWESOME! :D
    Although I have a couple of questions:
    I realize that you're a little ways away from finalizing how the thruster system will work, but when you say that you'll be able to configure the force applied to the directions, does this mean that we might eventually see center of mass relative thrust dynamics, mostly automated to simulate very simple controls? Like wherever you place your thusters the computer will calculate the how much relative % thrust the other thrusters for that direction need to keep the whole thing from turning unless you tell it to. I don't know about you, but having my thusters hit and spinning out of control in the middle of a dogfight seems realistic and crazy fun.

The other question I had was whether KSP SAS style (or just multivectored, like Brokenshakles had suggested) maneuvering thusters are going to be considered at all?

Brokenshakles likes this.
  4. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Rear Admiral

Woot! Looks like a great start, and I am curious about having variable vector thrusters as well.

5. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

That's awesome, now release a version of the game so we can actually use and test it.
    You have alpha testers waiting !

Brokenshakles likes this.
  6. Dooku

Dooku Ensign

If the 2-4 engines in all directions will make small ship like "Blue" agile. I like it :D But if we will need something like 6+... I will cry :(

Robofan likes this.
  7. HolyAvengerOne

Good job, I like it :)

8. Brokenshakles

Srsly, release on Steam already.

9. HolyAvengerOne

No. Wait until it's stable enough that you won't hurt your player base a d potential.

123ethan and Slate like this.
  10. Brokenshakles

I meant for an alpha release/public test.

11. Colton Beltran

A little off topic, but will there be planetary collisions? Like rogue planets that are not stuck to any stars gravitational pull, that could collide into other planets.

12. Brokenshakles

Lol, probably not, that would be near impossible to simulate. If planets running into each other is your thing, check out the game Planetary Annihilation.

13. Colton Beltran

Bummer, but thanks for the recommendation:)

14. HolyAvengerOne

That's also what I meant :) Releasing an alpha too early can damage a game's reputation, imho.

15. VoicesDark

VoicesDark Commander

Nothing is official, Impossible or "Near Impossible" Unless one of the actual Devs or on the rare occasion The Modding Asylum says it is.

Now with that said, the Planets in Empyrion aren't your typically little tiny marbles so being able to sit back with a coffee/beer/soda and watching to planets collide with each other maybe not, but it may very well be possible for moons, moon/asteroids, and some other combinations.

Personally I like the idea and it could definitely lend to some interesting solar systems so I'll run it by the Devs at our next meeting and see what they thing about investigating the possibilities of something like that.

16. Brokenshakles

I was thinking of the full, instanced planets when I said "Impossible", collisions of meteorites seems feasible though. However, I would bet money that the separate instancing of planetary surfaces makes having anything of substantial size cross an instancing boundary infeasible.

17. VoicesDark

VoicesDark Commander

Good old blue is very nimble with just those 2-4 engines in all directions and playing a very close game of chicken with an asteroid or two is extremely thrilling. A lot of time, tweaking, and testing is going into getting the ship controller just right so it gives you a good balance between agility and realism without having to place a lot of main engines and maneuvering thrusters.

18. Brokenshakles

Will there be a thrust/torque vs horsepower difference for different engines? Big difference between a thruster with a high throughput and a low top speed, and an engine with low throughput and high top speed.

19. Xentor

Xentor Captain

cool, I like them.

20. The_Director

The_Director Commander

Wow amazing stuff! Beta please!! :p

TrollolPenguin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.