intro to modding

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by victusfate, Feb 25, 2022.

1. victusfate

victusfate Lieutenant

Heyo, I've been looking around for docs and examples.

Here's where I'm at. I installed visual studio (it's been 10 years!)
    I am looking at the DemoModClient and DemoModDedi examples in the DemoMod solution
    When I go to build it's running into scripting errors trying to clean up old dlls. It also wants to attach to an exec when I try to run Start. A solution build has the same error.

Rebuild solution, same issue:
    Code:
    Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
    Error        The command "del /F /Q ..\..\..\..\DemoModClient.dll
    copy /B /Y C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Mods\DemoMod\DemoModSln\DemoModClient\bin\Release\DemoModClient.dll ..\..\..\.." exited with code 1.    DemoModClient           
    Error        The command "del /F /Q ..\..\..\..\DemoModDedi.dll
    copy /B /Y C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Mods\DemoMod\DemoModSln\DemoModDedi\bin\Release\DemoModDedi.dll ..\..\..\.." exited with code 1.    DemoModDedi           

2. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

The post build command has an issue with the string for the directory because the name contains a hyphen.

change this:
    del /F /Q ..\..\..\..\$(TargetName).dll
    copy /B /Y $(TargetPath) ..\..\..\..

to this:
    del /F /Q "..\..\..\..\$(TargetName).dll"
    copy /B /Y "$(TargetPath) ..\..\..\.."

Also, Windows 10 introduced enhanced protection (controlled folder access) for the Program Files directories that potentially breaks this automation ... basically VS can't see the files it is trying to delete/copy.

You need to exit the game all the way to load new instances of the mods. It's also possible to disable the settings (give VS permission) .. just google "controlled folder access" for details. Hope that helps.

Later- oh wow, 2022 ... a year late 8^) sorry for necro-threading, got caught up getting caught up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023