Is there a way to change experience per level?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liang, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Liang

Liang Commander

As the title says, I am looking for a way to change how much experience is needed per level. I would like to increase the amount of time it takes to achieve the upper levels.

2. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    No u cant edit that

3. Liang

Liang Commander

[​IMG]

level 25 comes too fast.

Furious Hellfire and Celthon like this.
  4. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

We need things beyond level 25.

Things like what? Well....

Missions requiring advanced levels, Challenges like “Construct a facility at [some POI] with at least 2 Advanced Constructors”, or “Power Down the Zirax Weapons Facility on [some other planet], or “Rendezvous with Polaris Freighter in Orbit” - that turns into “Defend Polaris Freighter” from several waves of increasingly difficult attacks.

More unlocks would be great too - Portals and Teleporters for example, at levels 30 and 35. Though this would require some “rewriting” of these devices, as they’re not exactly place-and-use yet.

Research Tools could also be loads of fun. Upgraded versions of the Detector and.. whatever that device that looks like Jordi LaFirge’s visor that shows you underground mineral deposits - so you can discover Other Things, like ancient alien ruins, or curious bits of technology.

5. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

You could cheese it with an API mod.

Set up a mod to periodically check how much exp a player has, modify it as needed and keep track of the players that the mod has added/removed exp from.

6. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I can honestly say I've never had that experience. The tech tree is pretty much just one long grindfest at present; we really need a proper research system.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 1:09 PM
  7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Is it possible to approach this from the other direction, and turn down XP gains? Looking at the config file, some creatures/NPCs have an XpFactor setting which seems like it ought to let you reduce how much XP you get from a kill. Presumably you'd want to turn down/remove XP from picking plants too.

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Yes that should work, plants idk if u can change that. But the EXPgain on mobs defently

9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I seem to have it in my head that different planets can have different XP modifiers; if that's correct, then one could also generate a star system with the planetary XP factor turned way down, then adjust mob xp factors to taste.

10. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Will check when iam behind the pc

11. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Captain

I have way more than 2 AC's before i'm levle 25!

I agree on teleporters, would be nice... at Level 50 for 1mil exp Points to unlock.. something like that, coz it's VREY powerfull and should not be available too early and/or too cheap. -> if ever released for Players, anyway.

Regarding mob XP, we have a Level System for Mobs now, soooo… :p

Planet difficulty should define the mob/poi Level, which defines their hp/att/def values, and therefor the xp they give.
    Dont konw, something like 'Mob.Level * Mob.HP * Planet.Difficulty * Game.Settings.Difficulty.Multiplier' ?
    Or similar forumla to calcula the mob.attack / hp values, and just focus on the xp per hp gain?

Just my 2 Cents
    hth

12. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

We need things beyond level 25.

Things like what? Well....

Missions requiring advanced levels, Challenges like “Construct a facility at [some POI] with at least 2 Advanced Constructors”, or “Power Down the Zirax Weapons Facility on [some other planet], or “Rendezvous with Polaris Freighter in Orbit” - that turns into “Defend Polaris Freighter” from several waves of increasingly difficult attacks.

13. Liang

Liang Commander

Here is why I asked about levels and xp.

The game is much too fast.

I go from getting a drill and chainsaw to having an HV that can drill in about 1 hour. The entire start of the game ends up missing the "survival" part. Food is easy to get to stay fed. Gathering from drilling becomes too quick too fast, I can normally already make a T2 Drill once I find a promethium deposit to be able to make the drill charges. I dont even build a base at the start anymore because, why should I cause a constant flow of attacks until I can fully defend myself. So, my HV remains my home, even to the point of building another one for "storage" until I have enough to be able to produce enough base weapons and ammo to defend it with.

By that time, in just a 3ish hours of playing I am already high enough level to be able to already build my choice of SV or CV...these things are coming way too soon and once I get a base built...I am farming...a lot...and level 20 comes in no time.

The survival aspect of the game is just too low, almost non-existent. I have edited the game files enough so there are a relative ton of different mobs spawning in every biome of the starter world to add difficulty, making sure there is always at least 1 hostile that can be there at all times. I have dropped the spawn rate of all food related materials in each biome so, again...its more difficult at the start...but, with more hostiles, I have to kill more and thus...gain xp and levels faster.

So, I want to be able to spread out when things can be unlocked, at higher levels. I dont believe that SVs should be available until level 20ish, CVs, 30ish...and all their related equipment even later.

HVs, shouldnt come until level 10+ with its related items at later levels.

OR a way to cut down ALL xp gain in the game settings. As is, right now with slow advancement its still way too fast for me. All XP gains need to be cut down 1/6th to give the game some time related difficulty. I would be fine with this if it came via game settings.

Example:
    Instead of just Slow, Normal, Fast.
    Slowest, Slower, Slow, Normal, Fast, Faster (for those that need to get to max level with no challenge)

Or a way to turn off XP from specific things. Like turning off xp gains from gathering, farming, quests, building...gaining XP only from kills would be great.

So there are several other ways to achieve what I would love to see and all would add variety to the type of game that can be experienced.

14. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Most of those things can be done your self by editeing the PDA, Custom Config

15. Liang

Liang Commander

Hmm, did a search for PDA files in the game directory and found a .yaml and a .CSV. The .yaml has the PDA missions and item reward payouts, nothing for the XP given for the missions while the .CSV appears to be the text displayed in the PDA.

I also have never seen anything for experience in the Config.ecf file. Do you mean a different file?!?

16. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Maybe a multiplier setting could be added to the level system for host to choose the level speed.

17. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Weapons, NPC have an "XPFactor: …" set it to "0" then u wont get XP

In the PDA :

Rewards:
    - Type: XP
    Count: 500

Either remove it or set it to "0"

18. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Already is there

Gameoptions.yaml

### Influences the overall player progression speed by earning more or less XP [Faster, Normal, Slower]
    # DiffPlayerProgression: Normal

In SP its a setting in the difficulty Options

Furious Hellfire likes this.
  19. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Yes it has the default options, seems good enough for me, but others I think want to consider a more open range approach allowing perhaps a higher or lower value to choose from. A more custom value.

I don't see it as essential atm personally but I can see the point.

20. Liang

Liang Commander

Ok, checking the Config.ecf right now. I see XPFactor on sentry guns set to 2, CoreNPC set to 20 Ioncannon set to 2 with literally all others set to 0 without me changing anything.

In the PDA.yaml or the PDA.CSV file, there are no entries for XPFactor to alter.

So I guess the question then would be, what is the actual config file name that contains the XP rewards you are speaking of? I also just checked all the files in the Configuration folder for any XPFactor entries and there are none in the other files.

This. More settings to have an even slower progression and a faster progression as someone else mentioned wanting that as well.