Is there a way to not use your steam ID in game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by medicineman, Nov 15, 2016.

1. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I'd prefer to keep my steam ID private.

2. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

I'm pretty sure in the Steam dev API you can pass anyone's steam name through a method to get their id, so it's not really private at all.

3. medicineman

medicineman Captain

What I mean is that I don't want my steam name to be displayed on the MP servers. I realize a steam ID number is something different.

4. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Well I believe the name that would show up in the server is your current Steam name, which can be changed very easily. So, if you're worried about privacy, you can change it to something different and then change it back after you log off the server.

Although I am curious as to why you'd want to keep your name private? The only reasons I can imagine would be trolling or griefing related, but I'm not going to assume that that's what you're up to.

binhthuy71 and Tina Pedersen like this.
  5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    This!

6. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I didn't know you could change your steam name. This is the second time I've found out new stuff about the steam client on these forums.

Anyway I don't think my name is very combat ready so I wanted to use a different one. Ideally I could use a different name for every MP server I played on. Frankly I'm just used to getting to decide on a name when I start a new instance of a game.

Name, how the character looks, basic stats etc are all part of starting a lot of games and I guess I'm just used to it.

Trazzlo and Kyrt Malthorn like this.
  7. Tina Pedersen

Tina Pedersen Captain

I'd honestly say, that changing a name, kinda ruins it for you in the long run :S ....
    As you game, people get to know you, and you gain a reputation o_O ..... Not even remotely possible, if you alter names every time you change pants :S

As formerly stated though, there IS one reason, to keep changing name..... One, that 99% of us, find highly undesirable...

8. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Right.. and if you have nothing to hide why object to being spied up? And if you have done nothing wrong why worry about excessive law enforcement tactics or behaviors?

9. Parakiet

Parakiet Commander

For me these reasons are valid. I know people who have different names for different games.
    That used to be normal / unnoticeable because each game stood on its own.
    You could even adapt different play styles on different servers. And I don't mean grief.

In general a quest for privacy has nothing to do with "having anything to hide".

Kyrt Malthorn likes this.
  10. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

It is one thing, to use different names in different games, and to use changing names in the same game.
    Noone bothers in the first case or if it is single player.
    In MP though, there could be irritations at least. I will not deny that there may be good reasons to do so. And if someone finds the inevitable efforts to realize it worth it, it is his problem - he has the right to do so. But - sorry - i can not see privacy being a reason. Being personally quite concerned about this theme, i cannot see changing names in a game does anything in favour to keeping privacy: If the statements in your profile are correct, no other player can tell. They do know nothing you do not tell them. Steam otoh doesnt care about game-names - they have your real adress, you credit nuber and else.

Trazzlo likes this.
  11. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I don't even want to play MP frankly. I'm only doing it because the game is dead for me as an SP game. There is literally nothing to do anymore for me in SP. Not until a lot of updates and changes are made. MP still offers some game play challenges and excitement.

So for me to be playing MP at all is uncomfortable. I'm not really enjoying it. I'm enjoying empyrion. But not the MP experience. Especially since I keep seeing the anti-grief getting exploited. And if/when I change servers I don't want the people who harassed me before to be able to identify me and cause me more problems.

Frankly having to play with people just really sucks. I have kids and a life and far to much socialization for my taste each day. Man I would pay 59.99 for this game as a finished single player game. As an MP game it's worth half that finished to me.

I don't want to build a reputation. I don't want online friends. I just want to play Empyrion and have new situations occur. That's only happening in MP. Making this game mp was almost as bad of a decision as making it console portable or VR. All I want to do is have a little anonymity. Frankly if the SP experience ever gets repayable I'll never go into MP again.

Missy_Trinity and Trazzlo like this.
  12. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Hi medicineman,
    this sound absolute plausible. I misunderstood - it is not privacy in RL, but ingame you are searching.
    I want to excuse myself for any allegation that was written between the lines. But sadly i do not have a solution to your problem, sorry.

medicineman likes this.
  13. Mireru

Mireru Lieutenant

You are correct, it's nice to keep the same name. That way people with long lists of contacts know who you are, instead of having to keep track of your name changes.

So having to change your unchanged name of six years when you play Empyrion just to avoid this...

Attached Files:

14. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

... sorry, what? that doesn't even make sense

15. medicineman

medicineman Captain

It means that the steam name I have doesn't sound like a combat callsign.

16. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

Who cares, lol.

17. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Maybe the same people that care for a stylish outfit of their ships? Its NOT all about functionality, everywhere.

Kyrt Malthorn and itdocman like this.
  18. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Really? I could easily see "Medicine Man" being a call-sign for a Combat Medic or something.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    itdocman likes this.
  19. Mireru

Mireru Lieutenant

Close Air Support. He brings the rain.

Slam Jones and itdocman like this.
  20. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Medicine Man isn't my steam name though. Medicine man would be a decent combat callsign but my steam name is very different.