Help needed Issues with Seeds

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by tony hug, Jul 9, 2021.

1. tony hug

tony hug Commander

Question

1. Is there a way to set Seeds for specific Space_Dynamic files which override the Global seed
    (Trying Seed : xxxxxx in this file just causes program the to crash out)

2. Is there a way to set Seeds for specific Playfield_Static files which
    override the Global seed
    (It doesn't crash with playfield_static file (or playfield file) setting (Seed : xxxxxx)
    - but is Over-ridden by the global seed)

Failing that::

3. Is there a way to set the Global seed as Fixed for a Scenario (that rare seed that works for all situations)

Background

I have a problem with the scenario i am creating.

The Key Planet only works with specific seeds - otherwise tries to load forever (no idea how to solve this)
    The Key Asteroid field Only generates the Asteroid ring (sort of basic to scenario) with other seeds (again - no idea how to solve this)

i can however just about find a seed which covers both situations - but difficult to find
    (worst case i would like to fix it for the scenario)

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I recommend trying to fix whatever is causing both of your issues, or you might just run into more issues later on.

As far as answering your question, you have to use a playfield.yaml file to use a fixed seed, but unless you need the planet terrain to be the exact same every game then a fixed seed shouldn't be needed.
    I can take a look and maybe help you fix your files, but I am pretty busy this month so I might be slow getting back to you.

tony hug likes this.
  3. tony hug

tony hug Commander

Thanks -- i appreciate you're busy -- is there any way of working out what causes the issues ?
    ie what kind of thing do i need to look for -- just some clues might help...
    In the planet case the game just sits loading at 100% GPU when the seed does not work ...
    The Asteroid Ring case - it just does not generate the astreoid ring.

At the moment i'm just trying to bash my way through the scenario, but will obviously have to get back to these issues
    but made a small change to the planet (or empyrion updated - not sure which) and had to struggle to find compatible seeds
    (the files are pretty busy - but changing the planet size made no difference which i thought it should)

i did try the seed in the playfield.yaml file for the planet -- but the Global seed just overwrites it ..
    for the Space case the game didn't like a playfield.yaml in the same folder as the Space_dynamic.yaml
    Oddly enough though for the Planet when i don't start there but travel by portal there -- it loads ok
    (i have a question with empyrion about this)

I'll attach a Zip with my current state anyway -- But Please don't spend more than cursory time on this (as i am looking forward to
    the next version of reforged eden as well)

The cases are the a. ' Grahh Start' -- Currently Seed 874000 works -- that's the planet that causes infinite load times
    Playfield :Tarik_Core_Swampy
    b. 'Soliquuy of Reason Start' -- Thats the one that Does not load the Asteroid Ring seed 874000 works here as well
    Playfield :Tarik_Home_Asteroid_Field
    If i can get this going i could drop the Grahh start (as travelling to Grahh by portal seems to give no load issues as far as i can
    tell
    at the moment)

Attached Files:

ravien_ff likes this.
  4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I will try to take a look at this. If I don't get back to you maybe tag me here in case I had forgotten. :D

5. tony hug

tony hug Commander

Finally got back to this and after a couple of days found my problems --- yeah
    (but thanks for the encouragement when i was close to giving up)

The Asteroid Field issue was that i had :

# - Name: [AsteroidFieldBoxExclude, AsteroidFieldFewBoxExclude, AsteroidFieldRing, AsteroidRingPlanet]
    - Name: [AsteroidFieldRing]
    FieldName: [AsteroidFieldRing] # used if playfield is not an orbit

And Empyrion seems to randomly (on seed) Switch between using the -Name & FieldName Options - even though there is no planet defined

The 'Grahh' Planet Generation Causing Infinite 100% GPU Usage till Process killed problem was :

I had Accidently made Two POIs (one with a Player Spawner - one Without ) with the same GroupName
    Result it switched between them randomly on the seed
    And If Empyrion Can't find the Player SPawner on a Planet - it Hits 100% GPU Usage and stays there...

Again thanks for the encouragement - i just needed a break from trying to solve the problems and be 'forced' to relook at them
    through peer pressure.

ravien_ff likes this.