Itemsconfig.ecf contents

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by zaphodikus, Jan 3, 2021.

1. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

When I create a "scenario" instead of just editing the config.ecf, we are supposed to place all templates in templates.ecf and all items into itemsconfig.ecf

I'm going to/was assuming for a second that the engine will load the scenario files after loading the base vanilla files of the same name, or is this completely untrue and anyone doing a mod has to include the entirety of the original file(s) that they want to modify? And then make changes/additions? I'm a little unclear where the canonical documentation is or whether I'm just unlucky and keep finding old descriptions of how to make changes - is there any tooling to assist keeping this in sync? How does a person making a mod then remove an item from the game entirely if there is no protocol for removing items (although making them have tech tree unlock > 25 has this kind of effect) , and maybe that was something the engine could have supported to prevent this kind of maintenance-work requirement? Or do we expect owners to just merge every time there is a new version out? I'm trying to understand the end-game. I know there is no roadmap, I keep getting told this. Which is fair, but not sure what the intent becomes now that we have lost the alpha label one assumes things only break in between versions, or is that convention not yet applying, and tooling will come later?

Sorry if this sounds like 4 questions in one post, please feel free to enlighten on any one aspect only.

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The game uses files from the scenario folder first.
    config.ecf only needs to contain your changes.
    All other config files need the whole file included. This means merging or updating your configs whenever there is a game update.

To remove an item simply remove it from the configs. But doing so may cause errors or save game breaks, potentially.
    Removing a default item from the configs may break your entire scenario.
    You can also just set an item to be uncraftable, remove it from the tech tree, loot, etc, and make it hidden from the creative menu.
    This will help preserve save games or blueprints but make the item unavailable to players.

zaphodikus likes this.
  3. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Is it possible to change the logging level so that either the console traces tell us more about what is going on, like if for example each time a scenario ECF file loads, or to just output some trace in the log not in the console would be informative. I'm pretty sure the same thing would help people creating playfields move much more quickly too?

Anyway, I have promised myself I'll write up a guide/doc to try and gather all these notes into one place, I keep making guesses at how things work and find that searching a few dozen threads to confirmation frazzles my memory a bit.

I used to use a config.ECF file, but want to start doing this the right way and not rely on backwards compatibility being there forever, I'm being realistic. So I'll have to write a merge tool or just use GIT I guess to save me making mistakes, what tools do people currently use?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

No you cant change the loggin output

Personaly i use this tool : https://winmerge.org/

zaphodikus likes this.
  5. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Makes sense now, thanks as always guys.

Thanks, been using winmerge and git, but I've also been re-arranging the files so the diffs look a tiny bit crazy and I assumed people had maybe started on some tooling to teach the diff tool about the context or use a dedicated tool that does a better job. Managed to get on top of it today though thanks.

6. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

If you are dual booting Linux with windows and want to keep your tools as common as possible, Meld is your friend https://meldmerge.org/features.html

Kassonnade and zaphodikus like this.