Joystick support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crewsk8200, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Crewsk8200

Crewsk8200 Lieutenant

I'm just wondering if anybody else is using a flight stick for this game and how it functions with one. Just ordered the t16000 HOTAS and am looking forward to trying it out on here.

2. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

It will work, but not properly... instead of an analog range, you're mashing buttons with a stick. Maybe someday...

3. Niriel

Niriel Ensign

I don't think one joystick would be enough anyway. Spaceships move along 6 axes while joysticks offer only three (four if we include the throttle). Maybe one stick in each hand would work better, one to rotate and one to translate. Best would be a 3D mouse but manufacturers refuse to make them rebindable, instead selling specific drivers to each app programmer.

4. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

My HOTAS is set up to cover (obviously) the three axes of rotation, POV hat + throttle take care of the three axes of movement. Just sucks that it's an older one, so I only have one hat... no free look for me :(

5. Crewsk8200

Crewsk8200 Lieutenant

The thrustmaster t16000m stick and thruster setup has 3 different 8pos hat. So all 6 axis and free look are taken care of @Niriel, this stick and throttle are designed for space games :p. I'll see if I can get it set up and let yall know

6. Jugger On Valium

Jugger On Valium Lieutenant

I use a flight-stick religiously and it works perfectly for me (it emulates mouse movement using https://joytokey.net/en/ )

7. Crewsk8200

Crewsk8200 Lieutenant

My main concern is the throttle and weather it is either all or nothing, or it is truly regulated

8. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Every axis is all-or-nothing- but there is no graduated throttle support for keyboard, either

9. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

We don't have mouse flight yet with different turn rates for deviation-from-center, which would be the next logical step.

Track Driver likes this.
  10. Crewsk8200

Crewsk8200 Lieutenant

Well damn, was looking forward to that. Hopefully it will be supported soon.

11. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

I hope, if and when joystick compatibility is achieved, i will be able to use my Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold.

1. Because I already have it.
    2. Because it's the best stick I've found for left-handers.

12. Track Driver

Tried it. it wouldn't even load.

13. Track Driver

"Independence War" used the combination of stick and keyboard to achieve all manner of flight control. The same, I would think, would work here unless there are technical restrictions.

Jugger On Valium likes this.
  14. Jugger On Valium

Not true
    JoyToKey has it built in so that the deviation from center increase mouse acceleration. Works perfectly.
    This is, of course, only on the axes controlled by the mouse. Rotation is all-or-nothing, as is throttle (in all directions).

My set-up is right hand on the joystick, left hand on WASD using Space/Shift for vertically up/down. Again, works a dream with flight. But as always, I revert to mouse for fine-aiming. But in PvP (on HWS EU), this setup is awesome for 'orbiting' your opponent and launching pulse/homers up his tail pipe :D

15. Jugger On Valium

Confused about this - I can send you my set-up, if you need it? My controls are:

Flight stick controls the 'view' of the ship, the 'twist' on the stick is for rotation
    Then WASD control the throttles in the horizontal plane
    Space/Shift control throttle in the vertical plane

With this in mind, I can easily zip up my JoyToKey config file for you.

16. Track Driver

What I'm saying is I went through the process of downloading and when it was done, I had NOTHING. Maybe it's not compatible with computers here in the colonies?

17. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Joy2key doesn't do anything that EGS doesn't already support- you can bind the axis to work like a keypress. Problem is, that's really only useful for having something like autorun. The stick works, but not like it should. True joystick support means getting analog range increment like moving a mouse instead of either on or off like a key.

Jᴧgᴧ and Track Driver like this.
  18. Track Driver

2018-02-23.png
    I agree. What @Jugger On Valium described is not the kind of control I had in mind, nor was it what I meant in my comment about Independence War. In the late 90's, it was the premier space sim. It had full joystick control along with keyboard commands for various autopilot modes, jumping ti lightspeed without a locked target, and many other. Some, if not all, of these things I hope will find their way to EGS one day.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  19. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

On April 2016 I did a test with Xbox 360 controller on my PC and it worked. Not sure if it still works, but why it would not?
    Here is how to configure and use a wireless Xbox 360 controller for windows, to play with Empyrion.

I also have a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X that I used with Elite:Dangerous but never tried it with Empyrion.Not that it wont work but it will feel very weird especially in 3d person view. Sticks are mostly for arcade or simulator like games. I think Empyrion is mostly a 1st person game and I do not think it would be fun to play it with other than keyboard mouse. But what do I know? I am just an old hardcore first person shooter fan. One of my first First person shooters was the old original Elite published way back in 20 September 1984. Although I did had a joystick of that era, for some reason I always found easier to play with keyboard (that time mouse peripherals for PCs where non existent).

20. Jugger On Valium

Think you missed me saying:

"Not true
    JoyToKey has it built in so that the deviation from center increase mouse acceleration"

If it did what you said, I'd not bother using it as it would not be fit for purpose.