Just some suggestions.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fluffy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

I had a few suggestions.

When a Blueprint is uploaded, have 3 pictures uploaded to Steam automatically.
    1. The picture of the structure.
    2. The structures stats screen (when everything is powered on).
    3. The Blueprint level / build cost screen.

Have the authors name permanently attached to the model on the blueprint screen when it gets uploaded, there is a thread discussion on this one.

Gyroscopes to keep the ship level when it's unbalanced instead of weight blocks.
    They would have a set strength, and multiples may be needed. But they would be lighter than weights.
    (Integrate this into the RCS? They kinda look like gyroscopes.)

I know I am a broken record on this one, but make the small constructor available for BA's & CV's.
    I was thinking of a small mining CV and the small constructor is perfect for ore processing.

I noticed that the heavy landing gear now has a short and long version.
    To me, the model looks like the pads are on pistons.
    Why not have them adjust their height when you land your ship to try and keep it level?

Turret targeting priority.
    Current the HV, BA, & CV's turret targeting preferances need to be tweaked, badly.
    I propose the following preferences.
    All targeting depends on line of sight, no firing through objects to reach a target.

Top priority: Enemy core
    Secondary priority: Enemy turrets.
    Third priority: Enemy's (drones, aliens, predators, Etc.)
    Fourth priority: Alien structures, general spray and pray hoping to hit something vital.

Once the core has been destroyed, have the ship stop firing at the structure and only target enemies.
    Side note, please make it so the structure does not target neutral structures. (Talon village/temple, wrecks, etc.)

Fuel / O2 / weapon tank fill blocks.
    A block that taken all fuel packs / O2 tanks from the players inventory and fills the appropriate container in the structure. I mostly think of this one for refueling CV's.

Solar panels for BA's and CV's.
    The panels would not provide enough power for a CV to fly, but they would provide enough power to keep the defenses/lights/fridge/constructor/food processing online. But no thrusters.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

I just thought of another one.

The game engine levels the earth around POI's, it also digs holes for underground bases (like the drone base).

Have it do the same thing when you spawn a base from blueprint?

TNTBOY479 and XeroTerragoth like this.
  3. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Instead of having two cores (player and alien), use the current player core and allow the assignment of a "Alien" faction to it.
    You can even make multiple Alien factions, who says the Xenu get along with the Ghost Riders?

Also give it a "Neutral" faction setting, use this for non-combatant POI's like the Talon village and shipwrecks.
    Unless it's a shot-down alien CV as a POI with survivors on board...

Allow the player to repair ship wrecks in survival mode, make them fly again.
    Hey, it saves on resources.

TNTBOY479 and XeroTerragoth like this.
  4. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

Very nice suggestions. I think we have some of them already on the list for "feature refinemen" ;-)

5. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Give the Change / Rotate tool the ability to rotate textures on Concrete, Steel, Etc. blocks.
    (I have to rip out an entire floor in my current build because I was not paying attention to the square steel blocks orientation.)

Add an "L" railing block.

6. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I'd prefer texture application to be like symbol application. Click multiple times to rotate it around.

Using the change 'tool', means juggling more tools back and forth while texturing/painting. Also, it would add more modifier keys to use, since the change tool would rotate the whole block... not just the texture. So one would have to remember to hold ... something... otherwise, bam, they just broke their design and now have to wrangle with the rotator tool to get the block back correctly. ;)

Valdimarian, XeroTerragoth and Gatt like this.
  7. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

I had a thought for a new decoration block.

A space suit rack, kinda surprised there is not already one in the game.

8. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Another suggestion.

Give the Multi-tool the ability to upgrade truss blocks.

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  9. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Here we go again.

Give the constructors (or some other base/ship mountable device) the ability to break down water jugs into hydrogen and oxygen.
    Fill up the water tanks on the ground, then break it down as needed during your travels.

Now why am I thinking about the old movie "The Ice Pirates"?

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  10. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Add diagonal railing to the sides of stair blocks. (After all, safety first).
    left, right, and both sides. I guess you would have to make the stair blocks with railing 2 blocks high, to account for the railing on the top of the block.

Today's second suggestion comes from an old space combat flight simulator, Freelancer.
    In 3rd person view, you could fire the turrets by right-clinking on the mouse, the turrets would fire at whatever the mouse cursor was pointing at.

11. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

I know it's been suggested before, but spotlight cubes for CV's.

I was working on a mining CV, and I based the "head" off a streetlamp. The theory was that you park it with the head over the arena you plan to mine. The lights on the underside of the head would provide illumination while you were mining.

20170106164352_1.jpg

Sadly, even with the intensity and range set to maximum, the lights do not provide illumination in the mining pit.
    So, now you know the reason behind the suggestion.

Second suggestion, make the player drone craft-able, with armed and unarmed versions.
    Also, no free player drones, you have to craft your first one, and craft a replacement if it gets destroyed.

Make it possible to open / close hanger doors in the control panel. Likewise with the ramps.

Final suggestion for today, remove the HV classification and only have small and large vehicles.
    The components to make them airborne would become available at higher levels, and flying vehicles would use more power to remain airborne Vs. a hovering vehicle. Also make it possible to switch a vehicle from ground mode (low power, hover engines on, top and bottom thrusters turned off) to flight mode.

rainyday likes this.
  12. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

I think at least giving us additional firing options for the auto turrets. For instance, attack threats only (turrets, drones, and aliens) ignoring things like core and other blocks. That way we can use the hover vessel for strafe runs or whatever. Would be extremely useful :) I dont think it ever needs to shoot at the core. The player can manually do that themselves once all threats are gone.

The reason why I dont like this feature is that it takes away the need to have crewmen in the capital ships. I find it more interesting that the ship parts need to be addressed individually. It makes things more complex and interesting. Sure it is a grind but I think this grind in particular makes you feel that you are really in a big ship with many parts and that playing coop will benefit you.

Great idea. The Panels reduce cost of energy consumption. I find the current energy consumption to be a bit false. In space you need to eject gases in order to move forward. I think the game could use an alternative fuel for flying in space than in an atmosphere.

13. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

yes this is a good idea. Also allow a blueprint to be marked for underground or allowing it to be moved downward further in the Z axis. This would allow for underground blueprints that work properly like the POIs in the game now like mines and such.

14. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

Good idea and also good idea for a blueprint. Cool.

I love this idea except I would argue that as part of the survival starting kit you get a free unarmed drone to help with construction. Building without a drone used to kind of suck badly. In general I think the player drone should be targeted by enemies. It would be nice to extend the drone feature to be like the player body suit - available and craftable upgrades.

I have thought the same thing a couple of times, it would take some work but it might be worth it in the end for the devs to do this. The vehicle is either large or small and its function is dependent on what modules are installed. It simplifies things but it would require a good amount of code modifications I suspect. Though worth it.

15. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

This. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the player drone abused in game. Don't get me wrong, I like it as a feature, but having to craft a new one when the old one gets busted would greatly increase the realism here. That and it opens up the way for more advanced drones, like one that has an auto mode and follows you - and maybe can even be fit with weapons for point defense if you're willing to sink the resources.

This has been something I have wanted to see since I started playing the game. My first HV and SV were built to look almost identical because I assumed this was possible (I didn't know any better, I had literally just bought the game), and I think it would be pretty neat to be able to upgrade that mining HV into a mining SV.

Though turrets would be an issue eventually at that point. I guess we could always put a limit on the number of turrets you can place on an SV though...

16. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Three suggestions for today.

A quick collect button on Constructors.

A rightside-up view when controlling a turret mounted upside-down, or the option to change the orientation when using it.

The ability to open/close doors/shutters/ramps in the control panel.

VISION305 and XeroTerragoth like this.
  17. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

The "If it's good enough for Star Trek it's good enough for Empyrion" suggestion.

Camera blocks, (pretend the light block is a camera).

20170118203047_1.jpg

Linked to viewscreens.

20170118203103_1.jpg

No more putting the cockpit near fragile windows.

(I think a vessel W/O widows, and relying on 3rd person view is immersion breaking, but still want to protect the pilot.)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  18. Sofa Kingdom

Sofa Kingdom Commander

There is a limit to the number of concurrent cameras, but this can be done.

Fluffy likes this.
  19. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

This would be a great idea, I actually assume that there is some nano or drone tech that allows 3rd person view when piloting lol to preserve suspension of disbelief for immersion's sake. I always wondered why the build system forces you to either place your cockpit right next to a fragile window or bury it behind rows of blocks where you can't admire the view.

20. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Simple suggestion today, just a small, thin, block to fill the gaps when you are using thinplate.
    The fence top comes close, but how about a rectangle with the same dimensions?

20170121210641_1.jpg