Just some suggestions.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fluffy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

If you do this, you'd have to render the same scene twice, once from each perspective. So your framerate would be cut in half. Or do you mean that when you sit in the cockpit your entire screen is filled with the camera view?

2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

A "Switch to Camera" option for hotbars while seated would be the best course. As that way it only renders one, and you can choose from multiple cameras you may have installed.

(I hate pointing, but thats how SE does it, and it works very well)

ion_storm likes this.
  3. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

They had remote cameras in Duke Nukem 3d, like 20 years ago, so it's not like SE invented the idea. ;)

Actually, since SE is just an attempt to copy reality, I doubt any of it is the first of anything.

4. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I point at a recent other game. If you want me to make a full list of every game that has cameras, and then include wiki links to how cameras work. I can do so, but would be entirely wasting my time when the original point was already made.

5. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Not in the battleship I had the idea for, the cockpit has no windows, so the only view to the outside would be the screen.
    I'm currently "cheating" while flying the battleship by using the 3rd person view.

I can see where it would cause some interesting visuals if the cockpit has windows.

Although I thought of another use for it, think rear view mirror.

6. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ah, this type of thing is often brought up as "some game is a ripoff of some other game because they have similar features." I especially see a lot of "empyrion is a ripoff of SE" comments so my reading of your comment was tainted by those. ;)

7. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

You could also have a camera pointing down, for landing purposes. It is a neat idea honestly.

ion_storm likes this.
  8. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Rendering a scene requires all of the transforming/translating/etc whether or not you're in a sealed ship, so I don't think the absence of windows would help.

It would work great if you were only seeing the camera view. That would make for better gameplay anyway, otherwise you're shrinking your viewable area.

VISION305 likes this.
  9. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

it would work better that way true, but I have seen stuff like that done in other games. You could have it take the occasional screen shot essentially and switch what is displayed every few seconds or so to give a sense that it is an active display with an active camera. Then selecting the screen shows the camera view.

10. Sofa Kingdom

Sofa Kingdom Commander

Rendering to a texture and having multiple cameras is no problem according to the Unity docs:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/MultipleCameras.html
    "...you can have as many cameras in a scene as you like and their views can be combined in different ways...

Usually, you want at least one camera view covering the whole screen (the default setting) but it is often useful to show another view inside a small area of the screen. For example, you might show a rear view mirror in a driving game or show an overhead mini-map in the corner of the screen while the main view is first-person..."

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera-targetTexture.html
    "Usually cameras render directly to screen, but for some effects it is useful to make a camera render into a texture. This is done by creating a RenderTexture object and setting it as targetTexture on the camera. The camera will then render into that texture."

11. Sofa Kingdom

Sofa Kingdom Commander

I've done work on a Unity game simultaneously using multiple cameras to show the game view and a minimap (as they described). It is easy. No need to worry about having to slow down the view to every few seconds. It can be live, no problem.

VISION305 likes this.
  12. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

I figured with today's tech it isnt a problem. But I still wonder if it would not cause an FPS hit in the current Empyrion game.

13. Sofa Kingdom

Sofa Kingdom Commander

It shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming they are using it for the radar/minimap already. Maybe anyway, I don't have the game in front of me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  14. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

It depends on the complexity of the scene you are rendering. I doubt the rendering of the radar is calculating the translation and rotation of tens or hundreds of thousands of polygons and then lighting them all with dynamic shadows just to plot the position of a sprite to be used as a map marker. ;)

Rendering the inside of a cockpit from the player's perspective, the engine does not know in advance what it can or cannot cull, so it is just as much work as rendering the same scene from the POV of the external camera to create the screen texture. If your PC is already capable of rendering at more than twice the max framerate then you wouldn't notice the difference. But when many PCs are struggling to keep up I think it would be a huge performance hit.

VISION305 likes this.
  15. Sofa Kingdom

Sofa Kingdom Commander

You are right that the radar is only rendering extremely simple objects, maybe only sprites.

However, the Unity docs suggest using an additional camera in order to render the view of a rear-view mirror, so maybe.

But even if it turns out to be a large performance hit, even if only for the (acceptably) lower end rigs, then they can go with fewer and/or simpler objects for the second 'navigation screen' camera.

16. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

I still think that rendering only every few seconds would work well and only the full camera when the player selects to look at a particular screen. That way you dont take much a hit at all and you still give the player the sense that they are monitoring an actual cockpit with cameras and cool stuff.

17. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Simple suggestion, remove the alien core from the wreck of the Titan.
    I would like to be able to start salvaging it the second I find it.

Side note, since the player was the captain of the Titan, why is there no impact crater near the ship pieces?
    You know, a nice long trail of destruction from when the ship hit the ground.

Currently the ship looks like has been there for decades before the player landed.
    The crater has filled in, vegetation has grown around it, no trench plowed into the ground from where it slid in...

VISION305 likes this.
  18. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Today is something I think was missed from the Pre-Alpha.

Unarmored Shutter Blocks, you can find them in alien POI's but you cannot craft them.

The player is limited to shutter blocks that contain Sathium, but the shutter blocks in the POI's have a lower HP value and do not contain Sathium (when you break them down).

So, I think the current Shutter Blocks should be renamed Armored Shutter Blocks, and then add the unarmored ones used in the POI's as Shutter Blocks.

VISION305 likes this.
  19. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

I thought of a new suggestion today.

When spawning an item from the workshop, give it a holographic outline (not just the blue/red cube, an actual representation of the object) with the ability to rotate the structure before spawning it. That way, the door on a base is facing the direction the player wants.

Also, this would allow people spawning underground bases to see how much of the base is above ground before spawning.

ion_storm, Sofa Kingdom and rainyday like this.
  20. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

I just got hit by this one, but please add a method to regain control of your blueprints after a uninstall/reinstall or OS reload.