Keybinds...and Controller Support.

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by JuStX2, May 6, 2018.

1. JuStX2

JuStX2 Captain

I find it very irksome that every "build" in this A8 Experimental Branch Series Seems to want me to reset my keybinds; Anybody else getting this behavior?

I know they are doing this because of their attempts to integrate controller compatibility - so just so this topic doesn't seem one-sided I invite people to share any revelations they might have about the new controller support in this thread. I want to hear it all - the good, the bad, even the ugly. I think that if it's causing me this much pain then SOMEONE should be getting some airtime talking about why it's a "good thing" :p

Bollen and GoldDragon like this.
  2. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

I do, as well.

3. campcraftyinc

campcraftyinc Ensign

I think they missed the point with their attempts to integrate controller compatibility they seem to be stuck thinking that it needs to fully replace the need for the keyboard for some it is ease of use go back to old keymap system list of all commands then let me add controller or mouse as alt key

4. Lhetre

Lhetre Commander

Adding controller compatibility to widen the playerbase seems the correct thing to do if you are in the videogame business. More copies sold, more money for development, more content for everybody.
    The price appears to be that some players have to reset their keybinding preferences. Not a big deal, relax, I have an AZERTY keyboard, resetting keybindings is my every Tuesday.

5. arlongkpr

arlongkpr Ensign

and please please ...give us an Option to disable Controllers.. i have to cheat and FORCE off in steam to use my own 3rd party (Pinnacle).
    and in the last go of experimental it was working but then after last patch.. i crash every time it detected my controller at start.

6. DreadLordNaf

DreadLordNaf Ensign

Sorry to necro this thread but for those of us with physical issues, this is currently breaking the entire game for us.

In summary: No controller support = ok, since I can then use a third party program.
    Bad or limited controller support which is forced "always on" and unable to turn off = completely game breaking if you rely on a controller since you can no longer customize your own controls with a third party program since the inputs will conflict with the "always on" in-game controller settings.

As some background I have some hand and shoulder health issues and it's hard for me to play this game on mouse and keyboard for extended periods, but I enjoyed the game for a long time using a game controller. Back when the game had no native controller support I simply used a third party program to map the controls just fine to my controller.

Ever since Alpha 8 though I think, for months now, I havent been able to play Emp Gal because of the poorly functioning native controller support in-game cannot be turned off. Im either forced to use the very bad native controller support which is barely playable, or no controller support at all. Because I can't disable the in-game controller support I can't use my third part mapping program anymore for my own customized controls without it conflicting.

It seems pretty easy to allow a check box to disable controller support, please put this in so I can play the game once again.

OR IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW I CAN MODIFY SOME EMP GAL CONFIG FILES to disable it myself, please let me know I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

Bollen likes this.
  7. Monroeville

Monroeville Ensign

@DreadLordNaf
    I just went in the controller key mapping menu and deleted all the controller keybinds. That allowed me to use Xpadder (I'm sure any keybinding software will work) to map the controls I wanted to my controller.

8. DreadLordNaf

DreadLordNaf Ensign

Unfortunately that doesn't fully work. You can't unmap the right controller stick to the mouse movement which is the #1 needed control that you want to be free so as to custom map with a third party program, because the current in-game mouse cursor movement is very painful to use and makes the game almost not playable. Also certain key mapping functions seem to reactivate when you are in certain modes, such as when you enter inventory and essentially have some hidden binding.

Anyway this has kind of been overtaken by events anyhow as it appears they are looking into just adding a simple function to disable the in-game controller support which would solve this 100%.

9. Lucifer66

Lucifer66 Ensign

I would like to be able to assign the numpad buttons on my keyboard to my toolbar. I'm a lefty so it's just more comfortable to me if i can just use the numpad 0-9 instead of the ones across the top of the keyboard. Almost all other games allow for this, why not this one?

I think ANY hotkey should be able to be assigned ANYWHERE on your keyboard. Any restrictions are just restricting players from being able to comfortably play the game. Same thing with a joystick or controller. If people can't play the game comfortably then they might just move on to another game where they can. I have on a few games that had controls so bad they were just too awkward to play.

Imagine (if you are right handed), and instead of the WASDQE buttons you were forced to use the numpad to fly and move your player around.
    With both of your hands on the right side of the keyboard working the numpad and mouse it's quite awkward and you get tired really fast. Well for me using the number buttons, especially 1-4, it's the same thing.

s8. kruz and Bollen like this.
  10. s8. kruz

s8. kruz Ensign

I left this game about 18 months or so back, because I was unable to re-assign keys. I have been convinced by my peers to give Empyrion another try, but the same issue persists. I'm not trying to be cruel, sarcastic, or derogatory in any way, but surely the act of rebinding any key, to any in-game function has been an industry no-brainer since day one. The game is crazy unplayable for those of us with disabilities, or whom have any need to change from the one-size fits all WASD myth.

Can this issue please be resolved. I can re assign what seems to be either a certain quantity of keys, until I hit that magic number that then prevents me from finishing the job, or it's a case that certain keys are just flat out un-changeable. At this exact moment in time, if I wish to build a ship or base, I can not, unless I reset to defaults, and use the default axis and block rotation commands or any of the other functions currently un-bindable. If I assign these first when re-mapping my keys, then some other critical function has to be left unbound, it's just bizarre.
    Other than this, I have nothing bad to say about this game, and I wish you well in your venture to complete this project.
    Thank you.

11. cmguardia

cmguardia Lieutenant

Updates 6,7 and 8 had deleted my key assignments. But when updated from 8 to 9 and from 9 to 10 they are maintained and I have not had to reassign any keys. But in counterpart need a separate soft to be able to assign the extra buttons of the mouse from A10 since it stopped taking the buttons. Although I could perhaps blame Windows for this event after some update ...