How to use FILLER BLOCKS

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    What is the FILLER BLOCK actually doing and not doing?

- Filler Block are converted into "terrain" when a POI, containing these blocks, is spawned at game start / by the game
    - A Filler Block is NOT removing terrain. It cannot be used to actually cut through terrain (if used alone; see usecases 3 and 4 below on how to use this anyhow!)
    - You can place Harvestable PLANTS on top of a Filler Block without the need of a growing plot (see usecase 1 below )

Does the FILLER BLOCK offer different shapes?

- No. The Filler Block is not a 'Building Block' per se.
    - The Filler Blocks will not offer shapes in the forseeable future as well, because the conversion of a Filler Block and its placement will always enclose the full m³ volume, eg. the Filler block is not made to "shape" the terrain. This might be a property of to-be-added "dirt blocks" in the future.

Does the FILLER BLOCK have technical constraints?
    - The conversion of FILLER BLOCK > TERRAIN does NOT work when a base is placed manually! Everything described in THIS thread is only working when the Structure is placed as a POI (by the game / on game start)

- It won't work on fixed POIs

- When using the Blueprint-Group Setting "Keep Top Soil" there will be a small gap between solid blocks (base blocks) and filler blocks, because the terrain voxels will try to interpolate the height starting from the block-base.
    FillerBaseBlock-Gap.jpg
    Note: This is not likely to change anytime soon as this would mean to make changes on the voxel engine itself. For now, these gaps are small, so they can be covered in a creative way, similar (but even with smaller blocks) than demonstrated here:
    FillerBlock-GapCover.jpg

Where can i find the FILLER BLOCK

- In creative only. Open the H-Menu and search for "Filler"

What is the Setting KEEP TOP SOIL doing in conjunction with FILLER BLOCKS?
    The new Blueprint Group setting was introduced alongside the updated Mechnic. It gives you a choice - when working with Filler Blocks or even when NOT! - to keep the texture of the ground around the surface of your POI placement area.

Example without KEEP TOP SOIL ticked: (using a different texture for POI area)
    20190122112449_1.jpg

Example with KEEP TOP SOIL ticked: (using the surrounding terrain texture for POI area)
    20190122112959_1.jpg

TK85, Dreuseff, piddlefoot and 5 others like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    USECASE 1: Build natural-looking areas, eg. for a Farm

Setup:
    • The "baseplate" is made from Filler Blocks.
    • Plants are directly added on top of some Filler Block (will not decay and can be harvested; find the plants in the Creative-Menu as well! You do not need Growing plots!)
    Blueprint Menu Setup (F2 > doubleclick on entry in the list on the left)
    • Blueprint Flatten Ground: [X]
    • Terrain Removal: [ ]
    • Keep Top Soil: [ ]
    • Offset: -2 (means that the 1-layer thick baseplate is sunk into ground 2m = level with terrain)
    20190116200143_1.jpg

LEFT = Placed | RIGHT = Prefab Creative
    20190116195921_1.jpg

Harvestable Plants
    20190116195803_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    TK85, Dreuseff, Siege Inc. and 5 others like this.
  3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    USECASE 2: Avoiding a massive baseplate, making settlements look more natural

Setup:

• The "baseplate" is made from a mix of Filler and Material-Building Blocks.
    • The walkways are the only elements of the base-plate that are build with Material-Building Blocks (in order to texture them in an appropriate stone or paveway look)
    Advantages:
    - Blends into the area where the base is situated
    - Looks natural for terrain areas (quite often painted concrete is/was used to fake terrain inside a large base plate area)

• Blueprint Flatten Ground: [X]
    • Terrain Removal: [ ]
    • Keep Top Soil: [ ]
    • Offset: -2 (means that the 1-layer thick baseplate is sunk into ground 2m = level with terrain)
    POI placed ingame
    20190116201652_1.jpg

POI in Creative Mode
    20190116201742_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    TK85, Dreuseff, Siege Inc. and 5 others like this.
  4. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    USECASE 3: Build Bases with a larger underground area than overground

Up to now, if you build a POI that has a larger underground area than its overground structures, this would always lead to the situations that the cutout in the X-Z plane was always the area of the most extreme X and Z coordinates. You simply could not make a Bunker, whithout exposing ALL the surface ... what is something that a bunker should not do at all.

Also, the cutout was ALWAYS rectangular. So even if you wanted to shape the area that was exposed different, this would lead to issues and resulting in gaps when the POI got placed.

With the updated FILLER BLOCKS Mechanic both problems are solved.

Setup:
    • The base is build with a horizontal "terrain" border in mind
    • The Filler blocks are filled UP to this level on top of the whole sub-terrain area
    Advantages:
    - Blends into terrain with no massive exposure of the baseplate required
    - The underground area can be of any size or shape as long as the Filler Blocks fill in the gaps up to the terrain level

1. Blueprint Flatten Ground: [X]
    2. Terrain Removal: [X]
    3. Keep Top Soil: [X]
    POI placed ingame
    Base-placed.jpg

POI in Creative Mod
    (Note that the top most "rectangular surface" that is now made from Filler Blocks, would have been to be exposed in the old system )
    Base-Creative.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    TK85, Dreuseff, piddlefoot and 5 others like this.
  5. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    USECASE 4: Underground Tunnels and Caves

As detailed above, the Filler Block can NOT remove terrain, it only converts itself into terrain. BUT with the updated Filler block mechanic there is now a way to create Tunnels and Caves!

Howto: Similar like you would build a tunnel or an underground room by encircling/enclosing the where area where you want to walk/drive through with material-building blocks, use the Filler Blocks in the same way to outline the Volume that you want to keep free of terrain! Simple as that.

(Note that caves and areas that are not sealed with building blocks are NOT airtight/do not level temperature!)

The Setup for a Cave or Tunnel is the same than for USECASE 3

1. Blueprint Flatten Ground: [X]
    2. Terrain Removal: [X]
    3. Keep Top Soil: [X]

Example how to set up a Tunnel between two points:

1. Underground View of the desired result: An elevator down, then a tunnel to the base.
    Filler-TunnelSideviewPlaced.jpg

2. Creative Setup: Enclosed the tunnel with Filler Blocks
    Note: We are clipped into the blocks in the next picture, so you only the the "faces" of the filler blocks that are directly adjacent to the Tunnel we want to create between the Ouside Entry and the Base.
    Filler-TunnelCreative.jpg

3. View into the tunnel after ingame placement
    Fillter-TunnelInsidePlaced.jpg

Creating a real CAVE works the same way - simply make the enclosed area larger ;)

Please note: there is a workaround on using Asteroids and spawning them as a Blueprint. Please keep in mind that the NPCs cannot path on the Asteroid-material yet (Any NPC actually CAN walk between normal terrain and base blocks!). So an underground Cave combinded with Asteroid Material will not allow the NPCs to walk on that body at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    TK85, Dreuseff, piddlefoot and 7 others like this.
  6. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

7. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

9. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

Apan Loon likes this.
  10. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

@Hummel-o-War
    "Filler Block are converted into "terrain" when a POI, containing these blocks, is spawned at game start / by the game"
    so can you dig through the filler blocks (tarrain)with the drill as usual?
    Later in the game as a user?

I want to build a cave and tunnel that the user can fall into.
    The only way out is through an old shaft with a ladder. But this shaft is buried. He has to dig his way up the last 2 blocks.
    If I can dig through filler blocks, it goes vertically.
    If not, he has to get out to the side before he can dig up.

That would be an application 4
    do I have to completely enclose the cave with filling blocks? Correct?
    If I can't dig through the filling blocks, I have to leave out a filling block on the side to get to the ground.
    Do I then have to pull the actual construction of the tunnel to the outer edge of the filling block?
    upload_2020-8-20_13-56-6.png

Thank you for answers.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Kassonnade likes this.
  11. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

huhu ... no one around who can answer this question?

12. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Probably best to try it and see. You have to be careful when using filler blocks and check structural integrity when your build is spawned in game. If you don't use them right then you can have serious SI issues.

Kassonnade likes this.
  13. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

I can attest to that. Used filler blocks on a POI (Lost Research Facility) and even though filler blocks was used to fill the cavity inside the structure, it resulted in failure as soon as something was damaged on the topside. Seems half blocks and putting filler blocks inside a cube will leave empty spaces. So in that specific case i had to rebuild the whole POI and eliminate the surrounding structure.

Kassonnade likes this.
  14. Jorgodan

Jorgodan Commander

Sorry people, but it seems to be the fashion here in the forum to answer a simple yes / no question with things you didn't want to know. I know about structural integrity.
    So thanks for the tip.
    So it's nice that you don't know either. that really helps me.

But I can only test the effectiveness of filler blocks if I am able to include a POI in a playfield file and then have a planet generated automatically without blasting my own game or creative scenario. if I was able to do so, I would have tested it long ago and not asked a question here.
    I didn't intend to teach myself to read the code as well, I'm just a user.

Kassonnade likes this.
  15. Hawkie

Hawkie Commander

Dont take this the wrong way, but from the moment you wanted to include a custom POI, you left the "user" part of the game, and there will be some things to learn. However personally i have made a test scenario i use in SP to test POIs. Just include a POI with groupname TestPOI and then call your POIs groupname TestPOI while you keep working on it. That way you get to work on it in singleplayer. Then keep starting a new testgame and overwrite the prefab you are working on.

Kassonnade likes this.
  16. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Filler blocks are replaced by actual terrain so you can dig through them, with some exceptions that are controlled in the scenario or playfield. (Anti grief settings, etc).

If structural integrity is going to be a problem just include a note in your POI that SI needs to be disabled for it.

Some of us are very busy. I check the forum but I can easily miss posts. Please have patience!

SacredGlade, Jorgodan and Kassonnade like this.
  17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Does this note from @Fractalite not stand anymore : "As of 3/10/20 10:31 PM EST USA when the game loads in a POI, Structural integrity is not taken into account if the game loads with an NPC alien core(this might change in the distant future.)" ?

- from this thread:
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/pois-and-you-a-how-to.92382/

18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

SI can be disabled in the playfield for a particular POI group. Mostly used for floating POIs.

Kassonnade likes this.
  19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

That's not really what I'm asking for... If designers don't want their structure to fall down when de-cored they can use the "dungeon" method. But what about what I quoted ?

20. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

POIs are still subject to SI unless it's disabled in the playfield entry.

However, SI is also calculated differently for POIs than for player bases, so they must be built with that in mind.