Large Drill - Does anyone use it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khazul, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Khazul

Khazul Captain

So I made a nice assault vehicle with a couple of these on it only to discover to mu horror there is a limit of one.

So, I had a look at making something with one drill out of curiosity and well, it is just horrible. Unwieldy, cockpit pretty much blocked by the huge fat drill and despite all that, doesn't seem to offer anything my usual 6 drill little HV can do so much better.

But two of them, that seems useful (they arn't then in the way, not to mention much more useful for tunnel construction) and yet they have banned it which seems rather petty or maybe I am missing something to understand this weird limit.

So, does anyone actually use these in their designs or is my current impression about right - good idea, bad execution and pointlessly limit crippled so as to make them non usable?

2. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

If you play with the weapon limits turned on then the large drill is pretty much useless, IMO.
    If you play with the weapon limits switched off then it's an awesome drill since you can then place more than 1.

With it being limited to 1 it's effectively useless, as you've already realized.
    With a limit of 1 it can only be used on a pretty small HV and it will then basically completely block the cockpit view.

It should have a limit of at least 2 and possibly 3, IMO. 1 of them in no way compares to 6 of the regular drills, and you can't use multiple types of drills at once since you can only select one at a time on the hotbar. Therefore the large drill should have a limit of 2 or 3 to be comparable to 6 of the regular or T2 drills.

Luckily we have the tools to change it ourselves with the config file or with just disabling the weapon limits.

Khazul likes this.
  3. Khazul

Khazul Captain

Yes - I know we have the tools (I now have mine set to 2 via custom config on the basis that one is unusable and I have a rather nice dual drill vehicle), but really they should also be considering sensible defaults.

And yes - they are great when you have two or more of them, even with the odd offset drilling, which I can kind of understand when you realise what they did and why - still I was originally put of using them at all because of this to start with as I just thought they were broken for a long time.

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Definitely something that should be changed.

Khazul, GoldDragon, RazzleWin and 2 others like this.
  5. boo

boo Lieutenant

no, less useful than 6 laser drills

6. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I have. I find it quite useful in two instances:

1. As an asteroid miner.

2. As a means to create a passage into a mountainside to construct a base.

In both cases, the HV the carries this is very specifically built for its purpose, small, narrow and with an offset cockpit so the drill doesn't obstruct my view.

It's quiet effective, but functionally limited. It is, however, cheap to build.

7. cp6891

cp6891 Captain

I turn the device limits off and put several on a vehicle. I made one HV with 18 of them and used it to drill out a large tunnel through a mountain.

8. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Dev Q&A says that A12 brings a full rebalance. There's a good chance the Large Drill will be buffed and have the limits reduced.
    I doubt it's a full rebalance since it would change the flight model if things were changed too heavily, even if that's exactly what the game needs.

ravien_ff likes this.
  9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

At the very least HV mining should be "better" than just using the hand drill, which from my play through it hasn't been.

Germanicus and krazzykid2006 like this.
  10. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

I basically just use HV drills for making tunnels. I use my hand drill to mine ore. It's just quicker, at least to me.

bluemax151 and Germanicus like this.
  11. Khazul

Khazul Captain

I wonder if the mining vehicle shape/design has a play in that - I find mining with my HV much faster than the hand drill. Small, easy to turn underground, doesn't leave bits of rock sticking in yr face (as wider designs might) and 6 drills. Fairly standard design, size and shape I thought but people can make all sorts of oddities :)

I do only tend to using the drilling mode for the initial tunnel and fall back to normal mode for most of the actual mining as its just far more maneuverable.

Germanicus likes this.
  12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I just sit in my SV or CV and mine with the drone. Though that might be more of a problem with the drone being a bit overpowered right now with the ability to mine without needing any upgrades or anything.

Germanicus likes this.