Fixed Large thruster/ Ghost block bug [1111]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by ESOWarrior, Jul 21, 2022.

1. ESOWarrior

ESOWarrior Ensign

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: v1.8.4
    Mode: creative
    Mode:

SERVER NAME:n/a
    SEED-ID: n/a

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility: medium-hard
    Severity: sometimes gamebreaking

Type: CV's placement bug with selection tool involved

Summary: When using symmetry mode, i mplace one large thruster on one side of the ship when the mode places the other, if obstructed the mode sometimes places a ghost bug where the large thruster would go on one of the placement blocks. This ghost bug then creates problems when using slection tool to fill/delete or remove selection.

Description:
    This bug will cause ghost bugs if reproduced where its sometimes game breaking especially when trying to remove said ghost block by using the selection tool with fill then delete or remove selection. I also had this bug cause 4 thrusters to spawn in one spot and cause multiple ghost blocks to spawn. This only works after trying to use symmetry mode to place multiple thrrsters on one side with the opposite side being obstructed by blocks in the same spot your placing the thrusters on the one side your working on.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Place a large thruster on one side of your ship with the opposite side of symmetry mode being obstructed.
    2) This may cause a ghost block to spawn in one of the spots where the large thruster would sit on the opposite side. hard to replicate
    3) If a ghost block spawns that is the bug. Ive also then went to fill and delete or remove selection with the large thruster in my hand and it caused multiple thrusters to spawn in one spot which if you exit the game entirely back to desktop, it will remove the blocks but also cause ghostblocks to spawn.

Hope this helps, even though i put in as much info as possible. Will add an image if it happens again.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Garaman likes this.
  2. ESOWarrior

ESOWarrior Ensign

[​IMG]
    Big thing is when i am holding the large thruster in hand, and shift right clicking to delete blocks this also tends to cause the ghost block bug.

3. Garaman

Garaman Captain

I was only able to reproduce a case of this that manifested when using the undo button with symmetry enabled. Hopefully this gives some clue as the the actual underlying issue?

Steps to Reproduce:
    This is covered in the video below.
    1. Load the attached blueprint. Note the origin location of the large thruster block (area marked with green underneath it).
    2. Turn on YZ symmetry and set it on the centerline
    3. Using a block, shift+right-click delete the green cube eighth block on the left side. This block is in the mirror position of the thruster's origin block. The thruster will be deleted.
    4. Note that no ghost blocks are present where the thruster used to be
    5. Bring up the building menu and press "Undo". Note that the thruster returns along with the green block.
    6. Repeat step 3 using the red eighth block. This mirrors one of the non-origin blocks that make up the thruster. The thruster will be deleted.
    7. Note that no ghost blocks are present where the thruster used to be
    8. Press undo again. This time the red block will reappear, but the thruster won't. On the other side where the thruster used to be you will have a ghost block in the mirrored location to the cube eighth block (marked by the red question mark area).
    The way I believe this happens in practice is also demonstrated in the video below. If you place thrusters outside of symmetry you may end up with origin blocks that are not mirrored to each other. When deleting a thruster in symmetry and then using undo at some point to restore the original positions, this ghost block will appear.

Attached Files:

Myrmidon likes this.
  4. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Actually it's even easier to reproduce than this. If you place a large thruster in symmetry, then delete it in symmetry, then press undo, you get a ghost block every time. I believe this is because the origin blocks are never mirrored correctly when placed in symmetry mode. So basically every time you accidentally delete a large thruster in symmetry mode then quickly hit undo to restore it, you break it.

Germanicus and ESOWarrior like this.
  5. ESOWarrior

ESOWarrior Ensign

That sounds very familiar in the sense of how i was conveying the issue :D ty for testing the process and fine combing the issue more than i could haha

6. Garaman

Garaman Captain

I was having trouble just getting ghost blocks to appear when placing with obstructions on the other side. It only ever triggers consistently for me after an undo operation. I'll keep trying based on your observations but it's a slippery one.

Germanicus likes this.
  7. TSM

TSM Guest

interesting a know a few times on the servers i have been able to fix it for players by dragging blocks across ghost block, which forces it to update.

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Demonic

Demonic Captain

Dragging the blocks never worked for me. But what did was setting up symmetry, placing a block symmetrical to the ghost block and then deleting it.