Fixed Lift / Thrust message shows when NOT applicable [7372]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by basingleton, May 28, 2020.

1. basingleton

basingleton Commander

Taelyn asked me to open this.

Mode: Survival, SP (attached save game file)

Reproducibility: Always, Major
    Version of game file 12.4.1
    Version of game running: 12.4.2 (just released)

Type: Thrust Message new 'feature'

Summary: Lift / Thrust message shows when NOT applicable

Description: The Lift Thrust feature should be checking if the thrusters are 'off' in the control panel before displaying the message. Here's the real issue: I have a small SV with wings, only 2 back thrusters (no bottom, no left, no right, no down, no front).. when hitting the "w" button it moves forward just fine and about 1 second later shows the warning, but as I keep moving forward, I angle up and it glides up into the Air just fine. I never even hit 'space bar' so it should not have bothered looking at bottom thrust, but I got the message.

The Lift Thrust feature needs much more programming to determine when it should display as it is not looking at other thrusters except the bottom thrusters. It is normal to have more back thrusters and 'scoot along' the ground until you can angle up and glide. There are tons of scenarios like this where you have too much cargo to go vertical, but you can go forward (more back thrusters) and 'glide' up. Or, you might be able to use a combination of back thrusters (w) AND bottom thrusters (space bar) to get an angled greater thrust.

Also: if there is back thrust only, it's natural that players still might hit space bar out of muscle memory habit, but the mechanism should be programmed better to not bother displaying it under that condition as well.

Big Edit: People use the Landing Gear sensor signal so that when landing, it shuts off most thrusters.. Pressing space bar would retract them and turn on the other thrusters even if the initial thrust is not enough. The logic needs to know that there is a maximum potential, and if it's based on more thrusters turned on by sensor logic in the landing gear, that is going to be another issue with this mechanic. This is not included in my save game, nor have I tested it, but its something that needs consideration as a reprogram around this feature is being developed.

Steps to Reproduce:
    a) Open the save file, get in the ship (no cargo inside), and hit "w" to move forward, then angle upward with either mouse or arrow key, and notice it glides just fine as intended with the new flight mechanism, not needing bottom thrusters, but, the message still appears repeatedly.

b) Don't get stuck on a rock, I've lined it up on open dessert surface, all you have to do is get in the "Hawk X5-test thrust msg" SV and go.

*** Save game attached (zipped) ***

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Germanicus likes this.
  2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Will be looked at thanks.

Germanicus likes this.
  3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    A fix for this will be available in the next build.

Pach and Germanicus like this.