Living the Nomadic Life... or trying to!

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Pach, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Pach

Pach Captain

I'm not too sure where to post this, so I'm taking a stab that this is the right forum, as I may talk about the new Arid planet start.

One thing I like to do, is live "nomadic" for a bit early game, before plopping a base down somewhere. I explore the planet in my HV before I pick a place to call "home". Perhaps it's because I'm picky about base locations:

• must have water
    • must have good early resources nearby (this depends on temperate/arid start)
    • must have a scenic view (this is actually really critical!)
    • preferably near the equator, as the base will have solar panels, and I want them to be as effective as possible
    • even better if "near" to an alien area, for the next tier resources (cobalt, prom, penta) needed to get off-planet (but not too close to aggravate any patrols from POIs that may be hidden in there)
    ... yes, I want a nice view when I step out my door!

So, before I settle anywhere, I live as a nomad for a while: just me, my drone, and my HV.

I use my buddy Kittle's "explorer-light" HV, which is a complete, CHEAP level 5 HV... with two turrets for defense:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1182868855

I called it an "A-frame for HVs". You can configure this thing with additional items behind the cockpit. I started with a harvester/harvest box, a cargo box, and mobile constructor. With just those, you can mow down trees, and craft biofuel faster than you burn it, so can live in your HV until you find a nice new spot.

My big thing was, I wanted to keep it level 5, but have it spawn in with the items I really wanted on it. So I went into creative, and tweaked it. In addition to the harvester/MC, I added a few other things:

• O2 tank (for the Arid planet start)
    • Armor locker (so I could use the HV to put my Light Armor on at level 5 on Temperate start)
    • Fridge (no more food spoilage, YAY!)
    • a sensor (of course!)
    • ... and a clone chamber
    ... I also wanted the medic station, but that was level 7, so I figured I could just craft that and add it at level 7.

This worked great EXCEPT...

... some of these items require a BASE constructor to make. While you can spawn them in on a BP, once they get destroyed... they are gone until you have a base. :(

Most critically would be the clone chamber... and the medic station I planned to add at level 7. :(

It also looks like the turrets for the HV also require a base (although I've yet to have one of THOSE shot off).

If living mobile is intended as possible playstyle, then most of the HV parts through about L7 should be considered for either HV mobile constructor, or portable constructor building (I stop from time to time to get water jugs, and plop down the port constructor for additional crafting power, or to make anything else I can't do in the HV constructor)...

I'd have to pull up the tech tree and double check everything, but in particular, I'm looking at:

• Armor locker (not sure if this is set already or not)
    • Fridge (not sure if this is set already or not)
    • Sensor (not sure if this is set already or not)
    • Turrets (not able to craft mobile)
    • Gatling guns (not sure if set already or not)
    • Clone chamber (not able to craft mobile)
    • Medic station (L7 - not able to craft mobile)
    I'll try to pull up the tech tree later, and see if there are other things, and which of the ones I'm not sure about, but not being able to make the clone chamber or medic station mobile... really kills the ability to live nomadic until you are ready to set down permanent roots. To be able to be "nomadic", you really need these craftable either in the HV's MC or in the portable constructor you plop down on the ground.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

2. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

PRO TIP:

...until Alpha 9, 10 or whenever the "Out-of-thin-air-Magic-Factory" will be made obsolete....
    just spawn in any "Device Unit" (made prior in Creative with 1 Core and the choosen Device ontop) through your Library / Factory.
    (Then get that Device through your Multitool ;-)

When you need a Base to spawn it on, make a "Wooden-Floor" block base, consisting ONLY of one wood block in the down laying "wall" shape, this is enough to spawn these Device-Units on and Wood is cheap to make.
    Yes, it's like cheating, but actual the only way to live "normadic".

When that Magic Factory is gone, yes, it would be nice to have these Mobile Constructors (HV/SV) upgradeable(!) through Research (or whatever it will called when the Research tree will be fleshed out too...) so they can build ANY Device which is possible for the choosen frame (HV or SV respectively) including Ammo please!

3. Pach

Pach Captain

Thanks for the tip... (I did already know this)... it's a bandage for the real problem, though, which is "I need to replace my clone chamber that got blown off because the Vehicle Port turrets really hurt, and target you as soon as you see them"

I should be able to replace low-level gear on my HV without having to resort to the factory.

(the Ammo for both the weapons mentioned is already craftable in the HV constructor).

4. Kanbyen

Kanbyen Ensign

Your choice of HV puts your cockpit and actual usable items on the HV inside of easy shooting with 0 protective cover above over and on some sides. Your cockpit is also exposed so any alien rockets will make it a rough ride, especially early on before you have a repair tool. Just saying. :)

You could build that a lot smaller and make it a more protected ride(1 steel covering), drop the cockpit into the frame for 80% coverage. Do you need 2 turrets early game? Seems like a waste beyond one. I supposed spiders and stuff under it are an issue also unless you have the ammo for predator setting on the turrets.

Upgrading the constructor onboard seems like a really fun idea, also a couple small solar panels/storage for when its parked would be nice too. Keep the fridge on is most of the problem.

5. Pach

Pach Captain

Yup, aware of those limitations. It's not intended to be a PERMANENT "nomad"; just early exploration. I know pretty much everything is exposed to rear shots. Thus, I strafe a lot. ;)

It needs to be CHEAP (which it is). The two turrets are good defense, especially since the turret targeting AI is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY BORKED.

I spent 15 mins circling around 4 scorpions last night. My turrets targeted EVERYTHING ELSE AT MAX RANGE AWAY, but NOT the 4 dang scorps RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY SHIP I NEEDED DEAD. The turrets stupidly sat there, doing nothing, locked on something out of range (that I couldn't see), and refused to swap to the more immediate threat.

They finally killed them when I moved onto some water, and just sat there, guns pointing to shore for a few mins, until whatever the turrets were locked on (at OMG distance away) all moved back in range and died... (and they then locked on the next OMG distance away target), until nothing was left but the 4 stupid bugs in front of me... and they finally killed them.

I could have manually grabbed a turret and done it, but I wanted to see what the AI would do, and boy, does it need some work... :(

So yes, 2 turrets is rather important. :p

Especially if you suddenly find yourself in patrol areas... those patrols suck, even with 2 turrets (but they are supposed to, sooooo)

(I probably need to strap on some gattling guns)

Oh, ammo for predators: I only turn on predators when I actually have some I need dead. Love the new "update all items in this category" feature, even if the turret AI totally stinks. I then turn it off once they are dead, and leave it just on the "stuff that will actually KILL me).

Spiders can hit the bottom of the HV, but do so little damage to the metal, it's easy to repair. It's also why I don't mount anything under the HV, just on top.

6. Tryst

Tryst Captain

It would be nice to have a mobile constructor able to produce anything for a SV or HV but not items for a base other than the basic starter block, large constructor, generator and fuel tank that the portable constructor allows you to build.

Even if it meant upgrading to a T2 variant of the mobile constructor to get the vehicle turrets and other equipment that are available later in the game. Obviously you should be able to build the T2 mobile constructor in the original variant.

7. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

Basically, if a module can be put on a (insert vessel here), that vessel should have a constructor that can build that module. If that means we have T1 and T2 constructor variants for that vessel, so be it.

Stoickk likes this.
  8. Pach

Pach Captain

... or upgrade with a multitool!

9. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

In case someone forgot: A water extractor should work on snow as in water and most other "liquids".
    I sometimes go straight from a starter HV (that I can expand and improve a bit) to a CV base, probably finding a POI as a temporary base for/with constructor. Particularly if finding some POI wrecks with steel grow plots.

Pach likes this.
  10. Pach

Pach Captain

I agree on snow! That would solve the lack of water on snow planets issue. Should be able to extract water from snow!

11. Tryst

Tryst Captain

I actually find it quite amusing that we can't just walk down to the lake and collect water directly into a large container. Why must we have a machine to do it for us? The same goes with snow, we should be able to harvest it and let it melt down into water.

12. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

Do you know what's IN that water? Is it truly H2O? Did a Lizard mule relieve itself upstream?

13. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

There are many suggestions about water behavior/placing/transport/storage and such.

Snow was activated as a water source for an extractor in a7.6 (and older), I have not tried for a8.x .

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  14. Tryst

Tryst Captain

Do you know what's in your tap water? I bet you'd be terrified of drinking it if you did.

15. Pach

Pach Captain

I know, right?
    It has TONS of hydroxic acid in it!
    Not to mention hydrogen hydroxide!
    We should stop drinking water IMMEDIATELY!

And air... it has all these little itty bitty things in it... you can't SEE them, and they are ALL OVER AND THERE'S NO GOOD WAY TO CLEAN THEM OUT!

They have lots of names, but the most common are called "viruses"....

... we should stop breathing air, too! It's just too darn dangerous!

:p:D

Kassonnade and Needleship like this.
  16. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Perhaps... but you know what's not in my tap water? Cholera, dysentery, typhoid, and more.... I'll take the ambiguous threats of fluoride and chlorine over any or all of those any day... :p

Kassonnade likes this.
  17. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Ensign

Dude mine is full of dihydrogen monoxide......

Kassonnade, Needleship and Pach like this.
  18. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

If you are going to cheat, just type itemmenu in the console and hit h to have any item you want...the fun is in NOT cheating the system with exploitable game mechanics though.

19. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

so, you want to live the nomadic way on a mp server, with no base building and with such spare civilian buildings that you won't find large constructors on this planet. then, how do you get these additional devices then?
    (I mean now, not when they could be available in the mobile constructors somewhen; also we know the factory won't stay for long)

20. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

Can you highlight in the OP where it specified a MP server? As far as I know, anyone is free to play any type of game they want to on MP servers. If there are things you cannot do because of limits you set for yourself, then you will simply do without those things or change the limits you set. :)