Looking for a friendly community on a persistent server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Yagar, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Yagar

Yagar Lieutenant

I've been playing on the "plain vanilla official Eleon server" for a few months, and I enjoyed developing my character, exploring the galaxy as well as creating and building stuff on planets. Generally, I prefer playing in a multiplayer environment, as it gives me the feeling of having achieved something - as opposed to playing a singleplayer game, where I could theoretically achieve everything in a matter of minutes, just by using GM commands.

Sadly, Eleon announced a full wipe on all official servers at Christmas, so all I ever achieved will be lost. Needless to say: this announcement has shocked me, and also destroyed all my motivation to continue playing on that server.

So, maybe there are more persistent servers around? I'm looking for a community of friendly, mature players and a server offering a full galaxy to explore. I don't care about PvP, so I would prefer a PvE environment.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

It won't help you on other, private owned servers, either....as soon as new patches are applied...just saying

3. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Servers are always going to get wiped eventually as it is currently the only practical way to keep up with some of the recent changes.

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Yagar

Yagar Lieutenant

Well, Eleon decided to do it this way, but it doesn't necessarily have to be like that. My expectations were too high, obviously.

Actually, just for the records, there ARE ways to continue developing a game and to introduce new features without having to delete everything players have created. (It's just the easiest way.) I know at first hand, because for 10 years I have been playing an online game which still undergoes constant development and enhancements (in fact, the game has changed considerably over that period of time!) - and not a single one of the official servers had to be wiped, ever!

Devs can always find a clever way to port existing data to new versions - IF they care enough about their long-time players and are ready for the additional effort. I admit, it's much easier to restart on a clean canvas - it's just not very user-friendly. (I've been a developer too, so I guess I know enough to make that statement ;).)

But never mind, just saying. Lesson learned...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  5. Ernicus Maximus

Ernicus Maximus Lieutenant

Come to Wicked Awesome Gaming. We have wipe options in play for unexpected wipes.

Sometimes, a good fresh start is good for the community, so most places plan wipes in terms of "seasons" as the server owner introduces new content, or the game devs introduce content that "breaks" something of old.

Sometimes, life happens and servers must be wiped; either due to game updates or server owner screw ups, or just plain dumb luck. For these things, we here at WAG work hard to put things back the way they were after an unexpected wipe. We have Wipe recovery vehicles, utilize VB to save items, and save your blueprints for respawning post wipe, factory recover, free recycle for a week, and insurance options.

It's a lot of work and the days after are stressful; but building your empire for several months, or longer...only to have it lost forever is also stressful...and we get it.

Yagar and Germanicus like this.
  6. Yagar

Yagar Lieutenant

Here is a late "Thank you" for your invitation, @Ernicus Maximus. I joined WAG almost 2 months ago and never regretted it. Your and your admin team's dedication and helpfulness is unprecedented, which makes WAG one of the best EGS servers out there.

7. nickd27574

nickd27574 Ensign

8. Ernicus Maximus

Thank you for the recognition, it means a lot. :)

9. Ernicus Maximus

Thanks man!