Mainframe core indesructible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrashMan, Jul 8, 2018.

1. TrashMan

TrashMan Commander

I've cleared the mainframe and found he core, but I can't seem to destroy it OR the blocks around it.

explosive charges, rocket fire, even 40 rockets from a SV can't seem to put a dent in it. All the other alien buildings weren't a problem. What gives?

Also, does anyone know where the core in the Comm Station/Center is?

2. Domrdrengr

Domrdrengr Lieutenant

If memory serves this one is an alien admin which can be identified by purple hud marker and a different map icon to regular pois. Admin structures usually only have a few destructible devices eg turrets and spawners

As for the other two, keep looking in undiscovered areas on your map and you should find it in no time. A hv with dector on it helps finding general location of a poi or deposit. If you are in single player and dont want to do that you can open console andtype map to reveal everything

3. dichebach

dichebach Captain

Someone who designs levels doesn't get what "open-world" means, i.e., that it should NOT have things which are closed.

In my opinion, the use of all admin content in the game is an abomination which should be shunned. If there is somehow a "need" to make things in the game inaccessible to players deconstructing them, then figure out a better way than making those things magically inaccessible.

4. Domrdrengr

Domrdrengr Lieutenant

Theres pleanty of resources around to prevent the need to deconstruct everything. Not being able to hop in your ship and shoot a hole straight down to the core allows the poi to be experienced in the way the creater intended. Also it prevent players spoiling it for others (trading station in multiplayer) or breaking a poi required for pda missions

SylenThunder likes this.
  5. dichebach

dichebach Captain

In a multiplayer context, of course some "inaccessible" stuff makes sense. It does not make sense in a singleplayer context, EVEN for the Adm Trade Stations. In fact, I would say that the use of these hamfisted mechanisms illustrates how retarded the game is in terms of narrative maturity. It remains a fascinating, extremely well done tech demo until the day that there are real gameplay mechanisms in place that dissuade players from attacking and scrapping the "Admin Trade Station" instead of simplying drawing an invisible boundary there.

The same problem exists in many games: Oblivion and Skyrim guards are nearly unbeatable, spawn indefinitely and (without mods) cannot be negotiated with. But at least there, the guards CAN BE fought against, and crime and punishment are at least cursorily represented.

Just my opinions :p

6. Domrdrengr

Domrdrengr Lieutenant

The robot guys with lazer sniper rifles can be killed. You might need heavy armor with a few armor boosters and a health pack ticking though. Narrative can be made by players and put on workshop. The shadows of starlight was great i got to that before it was added in game

7. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Some of the story-critical POIs have gotten an admin core, to make sure other players are able to do them aswell.
    Afaik, it's only for MP however, but I could be mistaken.

It might however also have been introduced to SP aswell, as sometimes the (critical levers), teleporters and such was getting destroyed by the player / the AI by accident.

I believe it is either way a temporary solution, untill a better is found.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Needleship likes this.
  8. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

As you stated so clear: THAT is your Opinion.

I think to remember that Hummel, Pantera or Elion itself stated that placing Admin cores in some, to the RP belonging, POIs are a temporary solution, to prevent them from being accidently destroyed while the RP is untouched or running. They will change that when another, long term, solution is found.

9. dichebach

dichebach Captain

10. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

Considering the admin alien core makes it possible to make POIs indestructible until the core is destroyed, I'm glad they exist. It opens a ton of new possibilities especially when you combine it with other seldom used features like the ability to set exactly what is in each loot container in every POI.

11. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

My assumption is that those POIs, as part of the Robinson Protocol, are a work in progress. I had been critical of those Robinson Protocol POIs during the Experimental Branch because I kept destroying parts of the mission that kept me from completing it. This was while I was trying to complete it.

As you suggest, in an open-world game you should be able to take things apart. Taking out the Core of a POI is a great way to defeat some of the POI's defenses. It also cuts out the POI's ability to run scripts that were present to advance the story. There's some "back to the drawing board" needed here, but in the mean time the Admin Core was probably the path of least resistance.

dichebach and Exacute like this.
  12. simplicity

simplicity Ensign

One way around it is to maybe once a player complete the Robinson Protocol then the core unlocks allowing the player to destroy it..
    Like others I have tried every way to destroy the core and thank to this thread I now know why...
    Personally I think having it locked is wrong (especially after you have completed the protocol) - it was really hard work getting that final part finished and IMHO the reward should be the ability to strip/dis-assemble the structure completely. - Just like I cannot seem to find a core at all in the com array..

Exacute likes this.
  13. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

I do not believe there is a good way to accomplish a core-swap atm.. But given it can be done by players (kinda, with cheatyness), it should assumingly not be too bad to implement being able to do with a special signal or something similar, that could be triggered by the PDA..
    It doesn't solve the issue entirely, but it is a decent temp-fix, aswell as it can be used as a mechanic overall.
    The biggest issue would still be MP currently, but it would do the trick for SP atleast :)
    @Hummel-o-War

simplicity likes this.