Major Update: Empyrion upgrades to Unity 5

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone,

In the last couple of days we were very focused and worked hard, but now it is done…today, we are very excited to announce that Empyrion has successfully switched to Unity 5. It is a big step in the development process, because Unity 5 will bring a lot of new features, possibilities and improvements to Empyrion:

1. Overall massive performance improvement: we were really blown away about the performance boost compared to Unity 4.

2. Physically-based shader: the new shader looks amazing and nicely simulates the interactions between materials and light (see 2 screenshots below). We are still in the process of converting all textures into the new shader format. We will post another update with more screenshots when we are done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. New physics engine: PhysX 3.3 brings huge performance improvements to 3D physics - especially on multi-core processors. This will also allow for more accurate spaceship controls, better spaceship performance, and better physics simulation overall.

4. SpeedTree integration: this will give us unlimited possibilities to create strange and alien-like plants and trees

5. And much more (new lighting features, improved sound system, more flexible animation system, DirectX 11 support, etc).

Finally, we wanted to show you some screenshots of a new fighter model that our friends from the Modding Asylum built. As you can see, the fighter does not need a lot of directional thrusters (2 on each side) - and believe us - this little beast flies fast and is very agile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading.

Eleon Game Studios

OzenRay, 123ethan, Fruitbat and 9 others like this.
  2. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator
    Staff Member

• Administrator
    Looking really amazing. I wonder how Unity 5 is going to be with DX12 in the future. Just the thought that Multi Core CPU's can even be a bigger game changer then before.

Really amazing though love how you guys been keeping us informed.

3. Kaltonse

Kaltonse Commander

Beautiful!

I am very impressed with what I see in this screenshot and love the direction you're taking with the thrusters, not too many, not too few. I'm glad to see that the switch has been made and love the atmosphere on that planet. Keep up the great work!

*edit*

Also thanks for the mothership in the background, I was interested in seeing it from afar in all its glory.

4. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Rear Admiral

Who gives a crap about DX12? I'm looking forward to Unity 5 on Vulkan, the new next generation GFX API. Unity 5 should make porting to Linux a breeze, one click for the binary compilation last I checked. Any news on which platforms besides Windows you are targeting at this point? I don't see any reason not to publish for OSX and Linux, since those are both Unity 5 target OS's

5. Rahx

Rahx Ensign

One word:
    Amazing beautiful great!!

6. Corodius

Corodius Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Community Representative
    Ok, let's put a stop to this argument right now.

To clear up some misconceptions:
    Unity 5 does not make Linux Publishing any different to Unity 4, except perhaps more so making sure everything has ported across correctly. It is not always 1-click publish, especially if the Windows version targets DirectX.
    Windows is the Primary Target for the moment, support for other Operating Systems *MAY* come at a later date, but there is no guarantee on that.

If Vulkan matures, I imagine Unity will eventually target it, being that it is the successor to OpenGL. However, that could be quite a while off yet, that all depends on Vulkan itself, and Unity Integrating it.

As for the OS Argument, that can stop right now. Linux has it's Merits, Windows has it's Merits, OS X has it's Merit's. Different people will use different things, there is no need to fight over which is better. I actually happen to have all 3 in my household, and actively use all 3. However, I also agree with Dev Time being spent on the most popular platform, numbers wise, and possible expansion later.

7. Jason

Jason Ensign

I'm looking forward to the future development of this game :), I myself I'm using Unity to make my own game, which is completely different to this game, but looking at what other developers use to make this game in unity 5 can also teach me how to utilize it more. But for now I'm gonna stick with my Unity 4.6 0_0 (It contains alot of good stuff that isn't compatible with unity 5)

8. Brokenshakles

More on the topic on the move to Unity 5: Fantastic! I love the material effects on the textures. And Since I have a hyperthreaded quad-core proc, the ability to use all my cores for this game, along with my substantial CUDA bank for physx, sounds extremely promising.

Edit: Actually that is a good question, does Unity 5 include support for DX9, or has that been deprecated for this release?

Edit2: Got my answer, yes it does if the dev putting out the software enables it. Will Emyrion support legacy DX9?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  9. Slate

Slate Ensign

Looks really good, would love to see a new vid once you guys finish porting all of the textures etc to Unity5.

10. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator
    Staff Member

• Administrator
    Only way for them to know for sure is throw on a old PC with DX9 but this is in principal how it works. Ones Alpha starts will know for sure and if anything goes wrong see if there is workarounds and I think there will be.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  11. Brokenshakles

If vanilla DX9 is included as a fallback, then it should work in WINE out of the box, and getting it to work if it doesn't shouldn't be too terribly burdensome. So I should be good for the first 6 months or so with that setup, as long as the extra compute stuff works at full speed. (It should).

12. Brulis

Brulis Ensign

Wow, look so amazing !

13. HolyAvengerOne

Awesome. Stunning. Very good move, guys. I think Unity5 bring so much. Really exciting.

Does that change in any way the release schedule for the first public alpha?

14. Brokenshakles

There was a schedule? I thought the Empyrion devs were on Valve time?

15. risingtide

risingtide Ensign

Wooohooo..nice improvements,just give us early access... Im craving for it.

16. The_Director

The_Director Commander

Wow amazing stuff!

Brokenscan you please drop your case on Linux? The devs already told us that it will come if it can.

17. Slate

Slate Ensign

Wait..what? I'm confused I was referring to a video after the new gfx are implemented?

18. Corodius

Corodius Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Community Representative
    Brokenshakles likes this.
  19. Chris

Chris Ensign

Oh man Unity 5 looks absolutely gorgeous, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and play some Empyrion! :D

Valdimarian likes this.
  20. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator
    Staff Member

• Administrator
    That was for another member sorry about the confusion. I was just letting him know that DX9 is what Unity normally defaults to as a backup if it can't find DX11. He was trying to get an idea if it will work for Wine for Linux.

OzenRay, Brokenshakles and Chris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.