Mechanical blocks and wheels!

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by greybincybin, Sep 11, 2021.

?

Should the devs add wheels, mechanical blocks and aerodynamics to the game?

1. yes

61.1%
  2. no

38.9%
  1. greybincybin

greybincybin Ensign

Wheels, pistons, rotors, hinges and more logic blocks!
    Am I the only person that thinks these parts would make building so much more fun and add so much more possibility and complexity to player creations for survival realism? And who doesn't like wheels!
    Still... would be cool to build some vehicles with wheels on them, don't you think?
    Aerodynamics in planet atmospheres based on entity shape, weight, size etc...
    Would be cool if wing shapes would generate lift.

some more opinions on topic would be good.

shadowfoxx6 and KRanKO5 like this.
  2. The devs have already said we are never getting pistons, rotors, or hinges like Space Engineers has.
    They bring too many issues with them and the devs have already made that decision.
    They could change their minds, sure, but I don't think they will on this one.

They have said we may get some predetermined moving devices, such as a pre-built vehicle lift, or folding wings. But they have said they will be pre-built all in one things, you won't be able to attach blocks to the moving part most likely.

Sadly this is the best we can hope for.
    There are just way too many things like collision issues that pop up with Space Engineers style rotors and pistons. Empyrion devs don't want to deal with that mess.

When I get home I can provide you with a link where Hummel said as much.

shadowfoxx6 and KRanKO5 like this.
  3. It's a nice idea, but no matter how many votes you get the decision has already been made against them.

I'm pretty sure basically every player wants them, it's just not on the table as an option.

KRanKO5 likes this.
  4. greybincybin

greybincybin Ensign

I understand, from a devs perspective it would be a mess... rather not do it. But the devs can at least think of an alternative, as you mentioned above... all we can do is hope. lol

5. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

It's not just the technical issues, I think... There's also the functional overlap with hover vessels. Wheeled vehicles and hover vessels (as they work in the game now) would basically fill the same role. Now, wheeled vehicles would be nice *but* I think that if they were added then we should either ditch hover vessels entirely or alternatively change their function into something different e.g. instead of being "cars" they would be "airplanes" or some other similar functional role change that would distinguish them enough.

I think in a game like Empyrion there are only the following "generic vehicle roles" available that would make sense as different types:
    - "Land": Currently covered by HVs.
    - "Water": Currently covered by HVs.
    - "Underwater": Currently not available
    - "Air": Currently covered by SVs and CVs.
    - "Space": Currently covered by SVs and CVs.

Adding wheeled vehicles would just give you "another HV" with no new role for it. Which, of course, does *not* mean you couldn't add them provided you did some rearranging in how the different vessel types would fill the available roles. For example, you could have:
    - Land: Wheeled vehicles
    - Air: HVs (i.e. HVs could fly but not go into space)
    - Space: SVs and CVs.

In that kind of setup having wheeled vehicles and hover vessels at the same time would make sense. If you wanted, you could also have new vehicle types to cover water travel (i.e. ships) and underwater travel (subs) as they would fill different enough roles.

Of course, then there *is* the technical side of wheeled vehicles. Freely placeable wheels in a game that allows players the freedom to construct their vehicles in any form they like creates complexity that will give you really hard and difficult problems to solve in your code. It wouldn't be easy and would likely cost a lot and take a long time. Not worth it at this point, I think.

*However*, there does exist an alternative technical solution that would solve the hard issues: Do *not* allow the free placement of wheels. Instead of having a block that represents a wheel, have a "chassis block" i.e. a wheeled platform of a predefined size. The player would then build his vehicle on top of that platform. When the wheels are in known predetermined positions and all pointing to the same direction the movement physics gets easy as the chassis is a single block and you only need to consider it when applying forces and checking for stuff.

That way you could do it. Assuming we wanted to. With the current setup of HVs I don't really see the need...

Wanev, shadowfoxx6 and KRanKO5 like this.
  6. My post earlier was strictly about pistons and rotors/hinges. I overlooked this part.

This is already in the game.
    We already have "artificial lift" in atmosphere as long as you are moving forward. You can already build ships that only use rear thrusters and as long as you are moving forward you have lift and won't fall.
    Shape is one of the factors that determines how much lift is generated too, including wings.
    It is not the best version it could be, but we do already have this in game right now.
    It still feels cheap and poorly done, but it is there already.

As far as wheels go, well.....
    Plenty of threads have said all there is to say on that already, IMO.

KRanKO5 likes this.
  7. KRanKO5

KRanKO5 Lieutenant

That horrendous bike has wheels already

:rolleyes:

Wouldn't want more of that but pistons and hinges would be nice to have and play with, builders would love it. Nonetheless I believe there are many other things that would spice up the game without getting into the mess they would imply.

8. shadowfoxx6

shadowfoxx6 Ensign

Yes probably way down the line but for now i think they would have a tough time fitting in....we could sure use some kind of underwater capable vessel of some sort tho

KRanKO5 likes this.
  9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

KRanKO5 and krazzykid2006 like this.
  10. idx64

idx64 Lieutenant

I think it would be a dream game. But I doubt that Eleon will change the paradigm and want to make such a change at this point, it would be an imposing challenge of months and a lot of code. I'm convinced that in Unity it could work and it would be awesome. Just thinking about it makes me wish this hehehe. There is a game that is better than SE in terms of mechanics, but the rest is greener than Master Roshi hehe.-