Mining shouldnt be free

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Goffender, May 16, 2019.

1. Goffender

Goffender Commander

I like the behavior of the survival tool but i will miss the old t1 drill. But mostly i just think that mining should NOT be free. And what about the surface rocks now? are they obsolete now too? Why would any one bother if they can mine straight outta the gate? I found all the basic ores within range of my spawn point, so why go anywhere? I like the gathering concept in early game especially. I realize most of the folks i run into on multiplayer would prefer that you just go ahead and deliver ore to their inventory in unlimited amounts but im not one of them. Mining should be a grind! Games like eve take it alittle too far but still, it should take some time to get to mine and than time to actually mine. BTW, i really liked when the survival tool used Stamina! What was wrong with that?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

I totaly agree, as cool as the survival tool is it always bothered me that you can anything for free with it. was better when it at least consumed stamina of the player. Now the tool is super strong and costs nothing, I am really missing teh survival aspect here. Or common sense.

3. Goffender

Goffender Commander

Yeah, now you can run and gun with the survival tool! totally op. Just add back in stamina consumption, and im good with it. Maybe call it suit energy?

Ephoie likes this.
  4. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Might be cool to have 3 versions of the survival tool. Easy = current one.:D Med = current one with less range and slower. :( Hard = Same as now but with stamina required.:eek:
    Well it's a thought :D

Ephoie, Sephrajin, Supay and 2 others like this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I like that the survival tool can drill for free, it gives the player a fallback in case they lose everything else. It should be a lot slower though. The T1 drill should be a desired upgrade for mining.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  6. Liang

Liang Commander

Yep, game progression is a bigger wreck than it already was. Right now, you will have all tools in the game by level 12. What is the point of even having progression in this game and "survival" may need to be removed from the title.

The mining changes along will lower my rating for this game from a solid 8.5 down to about a 5 as the longevity is gone and challenge is almost non-existent. Thankfully I trust the developers to change things before release.

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

They are good at listening to player feedback.

Liang likes this.
  8. MB2000

MB2000 Lieutenant

So making mining easier til level 5 or so is going to ruin longevity for you? Not trolling here, but I don't get that... its just a short amount of time of that game. Most of the time spent playing is at higher levels, where I think the game needs more focus, and less focus on early game stuff which seems to be the focus of every patch for the past 2 years.

Side note - planets are big and sometimes it takes a while to find your first deposit, the surface rocks are still playing a role in my game to get me to a point where I can build a portable constructor and then a motorbike. I was never a fan of solely mining those surface rocks until you managed to build a mining drill, that was just too grindy and unfun, especially if you had bad luck finding rocks.

p.s there is no tier 1 drill anymore, you just get the tier 2 drill at level 7, which is still something to work and aim for.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yup, still need cobalt for it too!

10. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

To me, this just illustrates even more that we need a proper power system for the suit, as it would solve a number of problems at once (including both this one and the whole inconsistency of the magically-powered survival and portable constructors).

That said, allowing the survival tool some mining ability is exactly what I've been wanting to see with it for a very long time. However, it should be quite slow to use, to incentivize upgrading to proper mining equipment as soon as possible (I see the survival tool as essentially a built-in tool for the player's suit). There should have been a T1 handheld beamdrill to replace the mechanical drill, too.

Andipro, Thorwine and Goffender like this.
  11. FeeniX

FeeniX Ensign

Imho survival tool should not have a drilling option, as it will make early game challenging and more depending on rock mining instead of underground.

12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Usually by the time I'd be ready to mine an ore deposit with a slow survival tool, I'd already have crafted a T1 drill anyway.

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  13. FeeniX

FeeniX Ensign

That's why T1 drill should be more of a luxury (that means rare ofcourse) in early game atleast.

Sephrajin likes this.
  14. Thorwine

Thorwine Lieutenant

I really like this idea of a powered suit, to "feed" the survival tool and the portable construtor. Maybe some kind of vegetable oil, that can be harvested by hand.

15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

IMHO...

The Drama here is not so much what should or shouldn't be "free" but more how to streamline the Wishes of the community for the game. The OP states he dislikes it that the ST has no energy consumption while others moved ELEON to invent such a thing into the game.

Well, the whole System would need a rework if - another - faction of Players are to be satisfied here.
    1.) Energy consumption of your Suit-Constructor - adding a THIRD Bar to the lower left showing the Energy Level of your Suit.
    I don't call for a "Plug-in-System" for the Suit but maybe rechargeable Batteries, i.e. solarpowered, plugged to the Mobile Constructor(giving Energy to that as well...) making sleeping at night a must to transfer Power collected at Daylight to the Suit.
    2.) Plug and Play - Plug the ST onto the Suit to use ITS Power to do things like drilling, Cutting Trees or salvage stuff.

Here we are again by re-chargeable Batteries which are, as far as I remember, on the To-Do-List (or Look-into-it-List) of the Devs.
    All other kind of Energy source might have difficulties to sustain energy, save and without frequent Radiation-burns to suffer...or running around with a small Generator on your back....

my 2cts

runlykhel, Andipro and Thorwine like this.
  16. Supay

Supay Commander

Still mid game alpha, too early to get hung up on it.
    This isn't the complete game and Eleon has a good history of giving options.
    I personally like it because i don't mind a little time sink, but sometimes gathering resources can get to be a bit much.
    Also the power suit idea isn't bad. I know there might be more levels than just 25 in the future and loads more things to come in the grand scheme. The faster drill means easier play testing until we get release. At that point we probably have a bunch of options to start our games.

runlykhel and Germanicus like this.
  17. Liang

Liang Commander

1. By removing the T1 drill you remove the need for the fuel for it and have free drilling from the very start of the game. Time sink is gone, game is vastly shortened along with its lifespan.

2. By now only have 1 drill, you hit the last hand drill in the entire game in about an hour. Progression, made meaningless.

I dont know what kind of survival games you have been playing, but I have never heard of one giving you access to all resources right from the start with no need to work for it...some of us dont want this game to die a quick death because there is only "end game" with no real work to get there.

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Correct me if I am wrong...But have you not been the Member who started in here with digging a ridiculous large whole into the ground for a large underground Base and grumbling about the amount of time it took you to built it?;)

19. Liang

Liang Commander

Nope. :cool:

That ending was a comment about the state of mind I was in. and it can be seen by my second post.

:oops:

Germanicus likes this.
  20. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

Uhh suit engery, i like your thinking. But that would include some real changes that would need to follow in ordner to make sense. (As example the lights should also consume suit engery then as long as you dont carry a flash light with you around. )

But until we have suit enegery it could maybe just absorb the jetpack fuel?