Misc. questions from new player

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Celthon, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Celthon

Celthon Ensign

Just bought/downloaded the game yesterday, so everything's new to me...playing survival mode, single player, and am on a planet named "Trigya"...I've done 3/4 of the "Robinson Protocol" tutorial (Survival, Exploration and Vessels) and will be doing fourth one: "Building", this evening -- cpl. questions:

>Are underground ore deposits rare, or just spread out at long distances? I found 1 each of copper, silicon and iron, close to the 'wreckage' that is part of the beginning tutorial, and I think those three were scripted as part of that tutorial (but don't know that for a fact). But after putting a detector on my hv and scouting around I'm not finding anything else other than surface rocks with the same 3 (iron, copper, silicon)...I cannot use the multi-tool until I find 'promethium' ore. Is it just a case of impatience, as I just started yesterday and have barely uncovered 7-8% of the planet map (planet set to large in beginning options)?

>If I build multiple structures in my base, and they are not connected to one another in any way, does each have to have a core/starter-block in it?

>Is there a limit to how far power travels through the blocks of a structure? If I have a small structure at a distance from a larger one can I power the smaller structure by simple running a length of blocks to it so as to not have to build a power source in the small structure?

>I found a location that looks like an abandoned base...one structure is named "Crashed Cockpit", and has functioning bed (where I can sleep till morning), functioning armored door to the part where the bed is, solar panel, etc. - nearby are two "Old Towers", and a landing pad labeled "Ruined Landing Pad". Two towers have nearly no damage, but the landing pad looks like it was attacked from above, but can be easily repaired. The portion with the bed, solar panels, etc. has a core labeled 'Public faction'...if I remove that core and replace it with my own, can I then 'claim' that base as mine and build it up as I see fit?

>How to interact with NPC's? I found several bands of "Talon" NPC's strolling through the area -- they walk very slowly and ignore me. When I checked my standing with them is neutral, but they do not acknowledge my presence as they walk by. Is that something that will begin happening later, after I've finished tutorials and missions? (I see missions listed in my PDA to raise faction standings, but haven't begun any yet). Haven't crossed paths with any other factions as yet (but have not explored much of the planet yet).

Thank you for your time and assistance. Will figure rest out as I progress...more enjoyable in my opinion to do it 'blind' and adapt as I go.

Cluascorp likes this.
  2. Celthon

Celthon Ensign

After traveling approx. 2.5 miles I found Promethium ore...yay. So that question's been answered (I was just impatient and hadn't worked for it hard enough yet).

3. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Deposits depends on the starter options selected, with some randomness.

Familiar yourself with the Control Panel. You can switch from Private to Public and opposite. Hostile/alien cores have to be destroyed, to put in own or just "multitool recover" for parts. Private setting needed to get whole blocks/devices (that give more resources if put in the BluePrint Factory or deconstructor).

You can press N and select "connect to base", to place blocks in same grid and with no "physical" blocks in between.

There are "structural integrity" function, so need ground or blocks to support some structures, where "half blocks" and similar count as SI full (even if it looks like not attached).

Power works within a maxed size base/vessel.

Only a few NCPs can you interact with, either through missions or some dedicated Traders (interact as "looting").

Play a lot more and try out stuff. Watch YT LP's. Be patient, it is not a game to play and get fed any little detail on how things work. GL HF!

Celthon and ravien_ff like this.
  4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The map tells you how many of each deposit there are. Usually there's only about 7 or so of each type of ore on the starter planet so they are pretty spread out.

If you hit P to access the control panel, you can switch the faction from Public to Private and then it will count as your base without having to destroy the core.
    If it does not let you access the control panel, then you can destroy the core and place your own core (make sure you're placing a core and not a "base starter" block).

There really isn't NPC interaction in the game yet.
    There are traders you can find in their bases where you can buy or sell items. There are also some NPCs you have to find as part of the storyline mission but it's mostly generic PDA stuff. No talking to a NPC and picking dialog options. The reputation and NPC faction system is still pretty new so hopefully we get that eventually. :D

Please ask any other questions! The game is still developing so many online guides or tutorials might not be up to date, but YouTube and these forums are a great resource!

StyxAnnihilator and Celthon like this.
  5. Celthon

Celthon Ensign

Thank you for the information.

Some details I need clarification on:

>In the Robinson Protocol tutorial 'Building' I'm instructed to create a 'Base Starter Block'...what difference would I see if I place a 'Base Starter Block' at a wreckage site vs just a 'Core'?

>Can I place multiple cores in the game, for example at multiple sites I want to salvage from?

>If I want to create a 'main/primary' base, and then create other small outposts or camps do I put down another 'Base Starter Block' at the smaller camps or just a 'Core'...what is the difference in function between having just a 'Core' vs 'Base Starter Block'?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

6. Ravis

Ravis Captain

Base starter creates a new building (buildings cannot be linked to each other) they can only have one core in as well. The core itself is to put into something that already exists.

7. Celthon

Celthon Ensign

I took core out of pre-existing building and added my own...I do not have any drones attacking, which is normal from what I've read...my question: if I build another structure nearby using the 'base-starter' block will that trigger the drones to begin showing up? If that will cause drones to start, will they attack both structures or only the one created with the 'base-starter' block? The structures will be close to each other.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes placing a new base should cause drones to attack, but it depends on the settings of the planet. Sometimes they'll only attack if your base is armed.

They should head towards the new base, but may fly over or near the first base and attack it.

9. Celthon

Celthon Ensign

Thank you. Having them attack both is Ok/good...just wondered if they'd ignore the first structure since it is repurposed from pre-existing building and did not contain the 'base-starter' block.