Modding and security

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by Mikiy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Mikiy

Mikiy Lieutenant

Been searching for this topic here a bit but didn't found much, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.. has security with mods been a topic here yet?

From what i gathered by reading about the api... its server-side only so far and no workshop integration (which is good in that context) at least if that information still current.

Some games offer some rather unrestricted modding capabilities, and while that allows for a rather diverse modding scene this also creates a lot of security problems, because what happens if one mod author of a popular mod gets compromised and suddenly his mod contains a virus.. gets auto updated from the workshop and the next time you start the game your in for a nasty surprise and all your files and up encrypted.

Now even if we don't have client-side modding yet and no workshop integration, i assume this will come eventually but security on the servers is also important and assuming not all mods come with source code attached and not everyone wants to do a security audit of every mod before installing.. i really feel like asking, what safeguards are in place yet and what are the plans there?

And before someone now gives me the "viruses in game mods are rather rare, i wouldn't worry to much" sort of reply that always seems to be popping up when someone asks those type of questions, save yourself the time, im well aware and its all up to you if blindly trusting in statistics works for your security or not.

2. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Were not focused on moddeing. Our focus is the game it self.

There are currently no plans to expand the API more

Germanicus likes this.