More tactical

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by VISION305, Aug 29, 2017.

1. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

The feel of the game is a little too arcady still. The walking and running and combat is all too cheesy in a way. Im not complaining just bringing something up that I thought might have been addressed by now so I am wondering if it will always be this way. I dont think I have heard people mention it much. The walking and running just doesnt feel natural and neither does combat. Far from done imo. I know its alpha this is just kind of like a reminder of sorts.

Kassonnade likes this.
  2. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

...because this was never intended to be a "tactical fps"?

ImperialGuard likes this.
  3. Mortlath

Mortlath Lieutenant

I've been liking the arcade feel of this game so far.

ImperialGuard likes this.
  4. Exacute

Exacute Captain

I honestly wouldn't mind having the shooter-aspect get an overhaul, and possibly introducing some covert movement, but past that, I really like the feel of the game.
    Sure, the arcadey combat where it is litterally hack'n'slash doom-style, does have its charm, but I (personally) hope for it to become more engaging than that ;)

5. medicineman

medicineman Captain

They have made one stab at this so far that I know of by making the enemies not always hitting us. Now they can miss. Well they also added armor too. Probably some other stuff I haven't thought of as well. They do keep adding to this area slowly. It just hasn't had a big overhaul yet.

I don't know if this was on the poll or not.

Exacute likes this.
  6. michaelhartman89

I would love to see it operate like halo or mass effect with a balanced combat system.

We need biotic upgrades and additional items like smoke grenades and frags

Exacute likes this.
  7. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    michaelhartman89 likes this.
  8. zztong

zztong Captain

I'd be all for that. I think some Single Player scenarios will end up with an espionage/covert operation feel.

Exacute likes this.
  9. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

Im not just talking about combat. I have long had a problem with the way the character walks and runs. It doesnt look right. I think they can make it look better. I dont mind Halo type combat though I prefer something more similar to the direction Star Citizen is going though I dont think it needs to be as "realistic" and Im ok with both. Im not a huge fan, though, of super arcady games like Quake. Everything in the game attempts at being a simulation yet seeing combat become this arcady crazy thing might not really fit or make sense. Just thinking out loud here.

Exacute likes this.
  10. Exacute

Exacute Captain

Mm, I think stuff like 'situational damage' as they are describing it, such as having shots to the arm, hinder aim / recoil, having shots to legs slow you slightly etc, could be nice additions... It adds to the tactical part of the game.
    Ofcourse this should also apply to npcs ;)

VISION305 likes this.
  11. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Commander

The gameplay is indeed very shallow. But every so often they make changes that make the game a bit more realistic, and working around realistic constraints breeds tactical decision-making. I'm sure the game will get to that point eventually.

12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Captain

People don't mention it much here but it is often mentioned in the Steam reviews. Even Unreal 1 was light years ahead of Empyrion in terms of NPC animation and tactics, but most models and critters (all?) are "placeholders" that are planned to be eventually replaced, somewhere in time... Speaking for myself, the stiffness of NPCs (and their "monochrome" feel) is a turn off that keeps me from exploring POIs on foot.

13. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Lieutenant

honestly for a game where the fps aspect is obsolete i don't think its a priority, think of how many times you actually needed to fight someone with regular guns (not vehicles) after you were done leveling up? like never... all combat in this game is vehicle or turret based.
    It'd be nice to be able to crouch or even lay down. Other wise i must say i love how it is... SC got it nice but empyrion never aimed at being like that and again FPS here is obsolete ...

14. Exacute

Exacute Captain

It's really not tho.
    You are spending a fair amount of time in POIs..
    And hopefully, in the future, shipcombat will become a thing too ('on foot')

15. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Lieutenant

Yes and no, i guess it really depends on the player progression settings...
    On a imaginary level, on foot shipcombat sounds really nice agree. In reality i just don't see how this could ever be an actual thing in this game because people will deliberately shoot at a ship (wrack) till its empty off all life because they can (nothing wrong with that).

And don't get me wrong im not against it, its just not a key feature in my opinion. And right now they should be dealing with the important stuff. In the end im also somehow afraid of how they would "motivate" people to engage in more FPS type playing and i don't like anything i can think of....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  16. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Commander

There might come a point where, if external armor fulfills its role of making a ship actually hard to destroy, that it would be more tactically-viable to make a small hole and send in a boarding team to attack from inside. You can already just shoot a ship apart to kill the inhabitants, though.

Exacute likes this.
  17. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Lieutenant

Well game technically speaking , if the armor of a ship will be so tough that you will have to rely on a small hole it says that the core is intact...
    that says the ship will keep moving ... no chance you will board. If armor is tough and mostly still there crew is alive and even if the core is dead ... in a sec they put up new core, fuel tank generator ... fly away .. boarding team is stranded in space. Those are the actual reasons why on foot combat doesn't happen for real.
    But messing with those aspects they will most likely just mess up good aspects of the game too , if you see where im heading ...

18. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Commander

None of that would be true if you could stand on ships while they're moving, though. That's the sort of stuff that I'm talking about when I said "working around realistic constraints breeds tactical decision-making".

19. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Lieutenant

I have heard something about the fact that they cant do it since its too complicated , even SC got their issues with it and they have way more resources in $ and manpower... that says something.

20. Malekh

Malekh Commander

I think the fundamentals of combat as they stand need to be improved significantly before deciding if it should go in a more 'tactical' nature. The comparisons to doom - in doom the player was constantly moving around, dodging missiles and blowing stuff up. Here, even with the supposed 'enemies can miss now', its all about standing behind some cover and finding the tiny fraction of pixels across the room that allow you to shoot the enemy without being shot back in return. To me it feels less arcadey and more exploity.